Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Early Plea to Sit RGIII.

Jethrodsp

I believe there is no better way to develop your game then actually playing the game. I'm pretty sure that RG3 understands he can't continue to take unnecessary vicious hits and continue to still be there for his team. So you believe even if Griffin is 100%, you sit him to develop him like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers? It's too late for that. The Skins made him the starter from day one. If you tell RG3 he can't play even if he's 100%, you'll do more damage to his frame of mind then you would develop his game.

Its not too late, he's 22 years old. And if that damages his frame of mind then we've been wrong about his mental toughness all along.

Look, he's going to be the Redskins quarterback, I just think there is a smarter and more calculated way to put him in the best position to be that quarterback for the next decade than throwing him right back out as soon as someone clears him to see contact.

There is a unique opportunity here to let him step back and learn the NFL game and learn new habits which will protect him from another injury which would be catastrophic. 2014, all systems go but lets take a step back and understand that we're not talking about a 30 year old player trying to squeeze the last few shots into his window of success.

Everyone can make their jokes about putting him in a glass case or sitting him the rest of his contract or whatever, but if you bought a Ferrari, entered it in a race and wrecked it almost immediately, wouldn't you take some practice time after it got fixed before you put it back on the track? Wouldn't you analyze why you wrecked and make sure you tried to get into some new habits or learned some new techniques before getting back into the race?

A Ferrari is a major investment. So is RGIII. Lets treat him like one.

Some people shouldn't smoke weed.

Some people need to read posts in the How is RGIII thread from a guy named WacoDiesel who apparently knows Baylor football and said the staff there hated RGIII's knees because they are "loose" knees apparently and that makes it much harder to diagnose knee injuries and i think that may have a LOT to do with some of the diagnosises Andrews was giving before hand. But hey, its much easier to decide we know better and talk **** about the Dr not knowing anything than maybe trying to logically figure out what happened. Conspiracy theories are much more interesting than looking for facts.

I initially was all about sitting him regardless of how quickly he recovers. I'm still of the mind that he should absolutely NOT start the season on the active roster. I'm coming around to the idea though, that he come back in October or November on a few conditions:

1) Most obviously, that he's fully recovered

2) That he's had adequate time to get into football shape once being cleared (so, he has to practice for x amount of weeks to simulate a training camp)

3) There's a reason for him to come back (if we're 1-6, which I don't expect, then maybe let him wait it out)

So, I've softened some and don't believe we need to put him on ice for what will amount to 20+ months. However, I do think we should still let him shoot past the 6-8 months. If he were to start playing in November, that would be 11 months after surgery and a significant amount of buffer time.

That's fair and reasonable but if we're 6-1 with Cousins can you really justify moving him out of the starting lineup?

Griffin should be the guy in 2014, not before imo. Plus, Cousins is an asset which could pay us back handsomely if he performs at a high level.

That's fair and reasonable but if we're 6-1 with Cousins can you really justify moving him out of the starting lineup?

Griffin should be the guy in 2014, not before imo. Plus, Cousins is an asset which could pay us back handsomely if he performs at a high level.

Good post. It's all about Cousins now. His mindset should be "2013 is my year!". All through OTAs and camp he should assert himself as the starter in every interaction with his teammates and coaches.

Thats the best thing for him, its the best thing for the team and the fans and its the best thing for RG3 as it provides ample time for the full rehabilitation of a very tricky knee.

Its not too late, he's 22 years old. And if that damages his frame of mind then we've been wrong about his mental toughness all along.

Look, he's going to be the Redskins quarterback, I just think there is a smarter and more calculated way to put him in the best position to be that quarterback for the next decade than throwing him right back out as soon as someone clears him to see contact.

There is a unique opportunity here to let him step back and learn the NFL game and learn new habits which will protect him from another injury which would be catastrophic. 2014, all systems go but lets take a step back and understand that we're not talking about a 30 year old player trying to squeeze the last few shots into his window of success.

Everyone can make their jokes about putting him in a glass case or sitting him the rest of his contract or whatever, but if you bought a Ferrari, entered it in a race and wrecked it almost immediately, wouldn't you take some practice time after it got fixed before you put it back on the track? Wouldn't you analyze why you wrecked and make sure you tried to get into some new habits or learned some new techniques before getting back into the race?

A Ferrari is a major investment. So is RGIII. Lets treat him like one.

You don't learn the game by NOT playing it. If you learn it by not playing, I, at 47, could be the best player ever by playing Madden the last 10 years.

Good post. It's all about Cousins now. His mindset should be "2013 is my year!". All through OTAs and camp he should assert himself as the starter in every interaction with his teammates and coaches.

Thats the best thing for him, its the best thing for the team and the fans and its the best thing for RG3 as it provides ample time for the full rehabilitation of a very tricky knee.

Well put.

The same Dr. Who cleared him to play? No further damage could be done? Please

Actually that's what Shanny was reporting. James Andrews never came out and said that like he did with the 6-8 months worth of rehab

You still didn't answer the question though. Why would anyone want to see Cousins for a season over a healthy RG3 for a season?

Actually that's what Shanny was reporting. James Andrews never came out and said that like he did with the 6-8 months worth of rehab

You still didn't answer the question though. Why would anyone want to see Cousins for a season over a healthy RG3 for a season?

I honestly would.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

I honestly would.

I hope Shanahan lets them duke it out for Starter after Kirk gets a few games under his belt.

You don't learn the game by NOT playing it. If you learn it by not playing, I, at 47, could be the best player ever by playing Madden the last 10 years.

I bet you would be better prepared by practicing, sitting in film rooms, and lifting for a year than if you were just inserted into the starting lineup with just your Madden experience.

I honestly would.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

I hope Shanahan lets them duke it out for Starter after Kirk gets a few games under his belt.

Why would you want Cousins over a healthy RG3? That makes no sense... the risk for re-injury will always be there.

I think the OP makes a good case to sit RG lll but, if he is completely healed and cleared to play, reality says you can't just sit him for the entire 2013 season. Athletes need to play if they are healthy. He is a competitor and would not take sitting out very well. Had Adrian Peterson sat out 2012 he'd have never had such an historic season.

If/when RG lll is healthy, cleared to play, and demonstrates no physical limitations, he plays, assuming the team is solid enough around him to protect him. Psychologically it is important for him to get back out on the field and move past this injury. He needs to grow as a player and learn from this injury and he needs to get back on the field when he is 100% ready. Don't forget, there's a mental side to this as well.

Why would you want Cousins over a healthy RG3? That makes no sense... the risk for re-injury will always be there.

Of course but there are ways to mitigate that risk by spending time altering his style of play and teaching him an offense that limits his exposure to damage to his knee.

I would want Cousins to allow Griffin time to rep in a more traditional NFL offense standing in the pocket and making multiple reads to make him more comfortable with that part of his game so that he is less apt to tuck it and run. Plus, I want to see what Cousins can do. He potentially could be a tremendous asset on the trade market.

Of course but there are ways to mitigate that risk by spending time altering his style of play and teaching him an offense that limits his exposure to damage to his knee.

I would want Cousins to allow Griffin time to rep in a more traditional NFL offense standing in the pocket and making multiple reads to make him more comfortable with that part of his game so that he is less apt to tuck it and run. Plus, I want to see what Cousins can do. He potentially could be a tremendous asset on the trade market.

I understand the sentiment, but Cousins could also be a big time bust. He has shown flashes, but RG3 is much more of a guarantee when healthy. I wouldn't want to sacrifice our season if he is 100%. I think the only way to alter your style of play is to actually play the game... right? You can coach all you want, but it's never the same until you step on the field.

I bet you would be better prepared by practicing, sitting in film rooms, and lifting for a year than if you were just inserted into the starting lineup with just your Madden experience.

That sounds fine and I know you want your original theory to be right....but in the real world, if RGIII is 100% in Sept. he starts. Any theroy you or anyone else comes up with about how it would be better if a healthy RG sits is just fantasy.

I understand the sentiment, but Cousins could also be a big time bust. He has shown flashes, but RG3 is much more of a guarantee when healthy. I wouldn't want to sacrifice our season if he is 100%. I think the only way to alter your style of play is to actually play the game... right? You can coach all you want, but it's never the same until you step on the field.

I disagree. Habits are developed on the practice field. In game, players tend to fall back on their learned muscle memory; its not like they're getting coached on techniques between drives.

I think this team- hopefully- has learned the leason that you cannot ask RG3 if he is healthy enough to play, he will always say yes. For this reason, I sit him unitl he is 100% healthy, and I would determine that by various strength & joint tests. With RG3 coming into the league with a repaired knee already, I would assume the team took a long look at the knee before drafting him, and probably tested it further once he was signed. If RG3 cannot match test results he had on the knee at the beginning of this season, then sit him until he can match the rookie year test numbers.

Problem is, the Skins have a win at all costs coaching mentality, and probably will start him first game of the season regardless of how well the knee is doing.

This whole thing smells.. smells of the Danny... He wants to raise ticket prices and wants people to think our franchise QB will be ready to go before next season.. i agree 100% with the OP. i'd rather go through a 4-12 season and win multiple SB's afterward than take a risk bringing him back too soon... 100% health everyone seems to argue as the reason he should be ready .. well guess what... he was said to be 100% on his LCL before the last game.... and by the way, his ACL had no issues on his initial MRI when the grade 1 LCL was diagnosed... i mean, seriously? and then a 1am est announcement after 48 hours? this smells.. and it doesn't smell good.... let's think about the franchise going forward...

Really? Dan Snyder is to blame for a medical issue? You think he planned all of this just to raise ticket prices? Snyder hate at it's finest from our fans. If anything smells, it's this post.

Really? Dan Snyder is to blame for a medical issue? You think he planned all of this just to raise ticket prices? Snyder hate at it's finest from our fans. If anything smells, it's this post.

I honestly don't know why some people are a fan of this team.

Archived