Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Redskins-Cowboys telecast sets record for NBC - and D.C.

JJredskins00

Purely speculation here, but this one might have that kind of ratings potential. Obviously this game appeals to two very large fanbases, and there is potential playoff implications for several other markets. Throw in a classic rivalry and you have a recipe for a massive viewing audience.

I think the top game right now is the Vikings/Packers game when Favre returned to Green Bay?

Anyways, fun to think about.

---------------

ES Staff edit from post #44:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-redskins-cowboys-nbc-telecast-ratings-20121231,0,877708.story

I wish there was...instead we have to listen to Al Michaels fade in and out of his hideous accent and listen to him try to break his own record of using the word "dubious" the most times in one broadcast.
Dude, Michaels is one of the best in the business. Always has been. And you think Joe Buck is better? That's comical.

Dude, Michaels is one of the best in the business. Always has been. And you think Joe Buck is better? That's comical.

I feel the same way about your opinion. Joe Buck is a GREAT play by play guy. People hate on him cause he looks douchey and stares at the camera too much but I couldn't care less about all that. Michaels does decent play by play but his voice is just annoying as is his constant obvious attempts to fit SAT words into broadcasts.

I feel the same way about your opinion. Joe Buck is a GREAT play by play guy. People hate on him cause he looks douchey and stares at the camera too much but I couldn't care less about all that. Michaels does decent play by play but his voice is just annoying as is his constant obvious attempts to fit SAT words into broadcasts.

Look up the definition of nepotisim in the dictonary if you want to see Joe Bucks face.

I can't stand Joe Buck whether it's football or baseball. I like Al Michaels a lot but hate Chris Collinsworth more than any other announcer in sports so it's just a wash for me. Just give me Jim Ross on play by play and Doc Walker on color and I'd be a happy guy.

Collinsworth is annoying but he's not as annoying as Gruden.

What exactly is Al Michaels' accent, a New York accent? I'm from NY so maybe that's why I've never noticed. Al Michaels is probably my favorite national TV play-by-play guy. He's pretty knowledgeable and calls a good game. Him and Mike Tirico are very good, IMO.

All you guys need to know on how Big this game is going to be can be found in the paragraph below

Last night’s ESPN Monday Night Football game – a Washington Redskins 17-16 win over the NFC East rival New York Giants – won the night among all television programs on broadcast or cable in households, viewers and all key male and adult demos. Similarly, ESPN led all television networks in those same categories.

The telecast delivered an 11.9 household coverage rating (10.2 US), representing an average of 11,701,000 households (16,209,000 million viewers – P2+), according to Nielsen, making it the fourth most-viewed program on cable television this year. The Game peaked between 9:30–9:45 p.m. ET with a 13.4 coverage rating.

In Washington D.C., The Game delivered a 20.9 rating on ESPN and a 10.3 rating on WDCA-IND, for a combined 31.2 rating in the market. In New York, The Game delivered an 11.9 rating on ESPN and a 6.9 rating on WWOR-IND, for a combined 18.8 rating in the market.

Peyton Manning's return against the Steelers week 1 this year on SNF is the highest rated regular season game ever with an 18.0 rating.

Actually, I'm almost positive the Thanksgiving Day Dallas vs Washington game was the highest rated game of the year... which is one reason (along with losing Division Championship Games two years in a row) why Fox was throwing such a temper tantrum about losing it.

Ahhh....Summerall and Madden; THAT was some good stuff there! It bears worth mentioning again, but in the 87'playoff game against the Bears, it was colder than a witchs tit in a brass bra, and they were talking about the cold during the game after Williams was knocked to the ground and his pocket warmers came out; Madded said ' when its that cold, your spit freezes, your snot freezes, HEC ANYTHING hanging on ya will freeze'!

Summerall was at loss for words, he just chuckled...

I love hearing Michaels too, but my wildcat would claw PerryMason to death if she read his thread lol. She loves Al. But I don't mind Buck either, the only one I cant stand is Moose Johnson, he down right hates us.

Purely speculation here, but this one might have that kind of ratings potential. Obviously this game appeals to two very large fanbases, and there is potential playoff implications for several other markets. Throw in a classic rivalry and you have a recipe for a massive viewing audience.

I think the top game right now is the Vikings/Packers game when Favre returned to Green Bay?

Anyways, fun to think about.

I think that Romo sits to pee vs RG3 will probably boost ratings, too.

I second that.

3rd it!

---------- Post added December-25th-2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

And for this thread, didn't we have the most watched game this year? The Monday Night game I believe.

If we didn't we will Sunday Night, People who aren't even football fans will watch this showdown, believe that.

Actually, I'm almost positive the Thanksgiving Day Dallas vs Washington game was the highest rated game of the year... which is one reason (along with losing Division Championship Games two years in a row) why Fox was throwing such a temper tantrum about losing it.

According to the NFL it was the "most-watched show of the fall TV season." This game certainly has a chance to get that sort of rating.

Archived