Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Dallas Week to be Proud of.

Jethrodsp

So Dallas is coming to town..

Words cannot really express how excited I am for this game. Im sure that so many of you feel the same, so maybe Ill just wax poetic for a little bit.

My generation was the last to grow up without cell phones, high-speed internet, and with a consistently competitive Washington Redskins.

I was 7 years old and already in bed when I heard my parents going ape**** as Doug Williams and Co put poor Tony Lilly right out of the NFL. I wore out a VHS copy watching the Hogs set the Super Bowl rushing record for a washout rookie named Timmy Smith. Joe Gibb's square glasses could have come right off my dad's head; he became an idol of mine standing in his mesh baseball cap, arms crossed, a look of stoic determination.

Not long later, I found an old copy of Super Bowl XVII buried deep in the cabinet under the coffee table. As I learned about Joe Theismann, the Smurfs, Mark Mosely kicking straight on, and even David Woodley and Fulton Walker, I tried to envision myself as a toddler jumping at the explosion of sound as John Riggins broke through the line on 4th and 2 for the go-ahead touchdown.

In 1992 I sat with my dad in the living room wearing a Charles Mann jersey and watched Art Monk get robbed of what would have been a defining moment of his great career. I was worried that the dominant season that team put together would be for naught. The Redskins defense responded by beating Jim Kelly and the Bills into submission. Kelly and Andre Reed were hit so viciously so often that, had it been two decades later, there wouldnt have been any defenders left to play against (wow.. two decades later). I watched as Gary Clark hauled in a perfect Mark Rypien pass over the shoulder as he had done so many times that season, planting a kiss on the ball before he tucked it away. As I swung my jersey around over my head when the game ended, I couldnt imagine a season in which the Redskins didnt win 10 games and earn me some new gear.

Then, darkness..

Joe Gibbs retired, Richie Pettibone was ill-equipped to be the CEO, and Jack Kent Cooke hired a Cowboy. Norv Turner's conversion, like Dunbar in Dances With Wolves, was puctuated with promising highs and choatic lows, but never sustainable. In the end he too wandered off into the wilderness, sparing his tribe the consequences of his presence. Newly minted Jack Kent Cooke Stadium saw many coaches and quarterbacks over young Dan Snyder's first decade as owner. Our once proud franchise teetered on the edge of relevance, slowly tipping over as fans gave up their grip one by one.

Im proud of the most recent generation of Redskins fans. Weve watched Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay, Rich Gannon play in a Super Bowl with the Raiders, and Trent Green be a fixture at the top of his division with Kansas City while our team has languished with the likes of Jeff George, Tony Banks, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, and Jason Campbell. If those were among your first memories of Redskins football and youre still here, youre intestinal fortitude is should be commended..

..and is about to be paid off. It started with Bruce Allen: a connection to football's present and the Redskins' past. Paired with Mike Shanahan, the top of the organization finally seems in tune with professional football's design. It has been continued with Robert Griffin III: a bridge to football's future. Griffin is the player Redskins fans have spent their fan-life waiting for. His ability and charisma transcends the organization. It will attract legions of followers to our team; but we are leaders with him.

Our three Super Bowls have fallen behind the likes of Dallas and Pittsburg while even New England has caught up; but this generation is ours. We have kept hold of this organization through the darkest days and finally there is someone to help us pull it into the light. This is a Dallas week to be proud of. FedEx will be alive with ghosts of RFK past. Gold Pants. First place in the East. These are Redskins memories...I cant wait to make some more.

Hail!

Very well written.

Though Pittsburgh had four in the 70's... so we never had them. Just nit picking, though ;)

I totally agree with you. If you've been a fan, a real fan of this team through the dark times... it's about to come to fruition. The bandwagon fans or the johnny come lately's won't understand why we show emotion... or how we show it... but it's okay. You know, I know, we all know what we've been through here.

I loved the read. Thanks!

Very well written.

Though Pittsburgh had four in the 70's... so we never had them. Just nit picking, though ;)

I totally agree with you. If you've been a fan, a real fan of this team through the dark times... it's about to come to fruition. The bandwagon fans or the johnny come lately's won't understand why we show emotion... or how we show it... but it's okay. You know, I know, we all know what we've been through here.

I loved the read. Thanks!

lol fair on the Pittsburg point.. I was just typing ay that point..

---------- Post added December-29th-2012 at 09:41 PM ----------

Fantastic post. Bravo.

Hey thanks man!

I always enjoy yours also.

Why is everyone getting retrospective/philosophic this week?

Not bagging on you op, just an observation in general, this is probably the 6th thread I've seen along these lines this week.

doy...because a lot of us have experienced the glory and the sorrow... the youngsters out there haven't ever seen glory.... well, the time has come... the glory is here and we finally have promise

does this answer your question?

I want to see this repeated...how bout Jenkins tips it to Kerrigan?

AND....I want the crowd this loud tomorrow night!!!

I am old enough to remember this happening...I never saw my father more elated than he was after that play (except perhaps during Riggins' run in the SB the following week). I was pretty dang stoked too.

I want more.

I hardly ever post on this forum (obviously) and its often because many of you are so quick with comments. I just had to say thank you to the OP. No matter the outcome of tomorrow's game, I am more confident than I was in the days Coach Gibbs 2.0. The position of this team compared to the better part of 2 decades are worlds apart and I think its due to talent but more impotantly the mindset of the coaches and players and now the fans.

Not bagging on you op, just an observation in general, this is probably the 6th thread I've seen along these lines this week.

Not judging, but just wondering, did you ask the same question when we were 3-6 and the entire first page was filled with "woe is me" and "fan existential" threads?

I think that Redskins memories for me are so vivid that I recall good ones when times are good and bad ones when times are bad.

Seat cushions, Art Monks ripped sleeves, Brian Mitchell taking what seemed like one punt a week to the house... When I see the Redskins on a run like they are this season and I imagine adding Griffin's run against the Vikings and Santana Moss's catch against the Eagles to these memories banks, all the other memories come flooding back. I am excited.

---------- Post added December-30th-2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

I want to see this repeated...how bout Jenkins tips it to Kerrigan?

AND....I want the crowd this loud tomorrow night!!!

Yea a re-boot of the Daryl Grant touchdown would be awesome!

---------- Post added December-30th-2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

Nice write up jethro!! It wasn't long ago we were watching high lights of the eagles game on your phone at the DC United game. Who knew we would be in this position a little over a month later?

The story would have been hard to believe that's for sure. I was just glad to see a blowout at that point lol.

Well for me this is bringing back emotions and feelings I have not had in a long time. Other than the Sean era I can't remember being so torn emotionally- worried/confident. I feel just great watching the team play in a meaningful December game again, but the other thing is the team actually playing together and never being out of it. I just would love to see them cap off this year with a solid win against Dallas and a march deep into the playoffs. They are building a team here that is going to be around for the next ten years competing, and that is something I really wondered about. At my age, I wondered if I would be around the next time the Redskins were this good.

Great, great post Jethro. I have a lot of the same feelings, I can't wait to watch the game tonight. Although the runs in 2005 and 2007 were fun, I always knew they weren't meant to last as the man behind center was Brunell and Collins/Campbell. Whether we win or lose tonight, I can't help suppressing a huge smile knowing that this is just the start of something special. Something that has been missing for most of my Redskins fanhood, a team that I believe can and will win a lot of games in the next 10 years. It is just so exciting to me to know that good times are here now and knowing that the future is brighter than it's been in years. My kids will now start to understand why their Dad held on to the old memories and made them watch youtube videos from the 1980's to explain why I love this team so much. Now they'll get to experience those memories, start to see kids wearing RG3 jerseys at school in Reno, NV and they can say that they've been fans before RG3 came aboard :D.

No matter the outcome tonight, I"m proud of this team and the run they've made this season! Here's to a new set of memories :cheers:.

I grew up in a home where Dallas week culminated in a huge party. The kids all played football in the front yard during halftime. I sat in the end zone at the Rose Bowl with the Diesel running straight towards me. A lifelong fan who flew from CA annually to see at least one home game for years. Now I'm living back in the area and the Skins are winning again. The first time in a generation when Dallas week actually means something! HTTR!

Archived