Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Frank Herzog on rivalry

doghouse4x4

Good ol' Frank! I really miss him announcing

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/12/29/frank-herzog-on-redskins-cowboys/?wprss=rss_blogsandcolumns&tid=pp_widget

“It’s gonna be a lot of fun,” he told WTOP. “I told my wife the other day, this might be a game that I’d like to go to. I’d like to be there for the atmosphere, for the tension before the game that you can feel. It’s palpable on the football field. It’s gonna be a great experience, and I think [fans are] gonna have a lot of fun, and I think the Redskins are gonna have a lot of fun as well.”

Larry Michael is not bad, just different.

Larry Micheal is bad. He calls the game like he's calling it on TV. Frank always gave down and distance. I was forced to listen to the Ravens game on the radio this year and there were a couple of big plays where I had no idea where the ball ended up, including London Fletcher's interception. They went to commercial and I couldn't have guessed within 20 yards where the Skins had the ball.

Larry Micheal is bad. He calls the game like he's calling it on TV. Frank always gave down and distance. I was forced to listen to the Ravens game on the radio this year and there were a couple of big plays where I had no idea where the ball ended up, including London Fletcher's interception. They went to commercial and I couldn't have guessed within 20 yards where the Skins had the ball.

I agree, and Michael lets his homerism get to the point of active distortion.

Frank Herzog was the man... def miss his playcalling. I frequently listen to the radio broadcasts and have to follow the game on stattracker being seemingly deployed all the time (back to back seasons what gives Army??), and also download the highlights a lot on Itunes (where they use the radio broadcasts for color commentary instead of the TV guys). I love my Skins, but Larry Michael has no energy- the Eagles, Ravens, Bucks, just about anyone have better calls than Larry. The only good call he had all year was on the 77yd run by RGIII. Radio guys need to go nuts more..Doc Walker helps, but jeez this is our best season in at least 10 years-- get fired up already!!

That reminds me of another Frank Herzog staple "Moving left to right on your radio dial"

To be honest, I was trying to be nice, there is already about 100 page thread on comparing Frank and Larry. I am no Larry fan by any means as I think he tries to hard, his voice lacks smoothness when he tries to raise it a few octaves which Frank Herzog did so well.

I agree that I don't like him being the face of the Propaganda Ministry either but what I mean by not bad, is I have heard other NFL play by play guys, and there are far worse out there than Larry Michael.

They need to bring Diron Talbert in and have him give the pre-game speech. No Redskin has ever hated the Cowboys more than Diron Talbert.

:applause:

Bruce Allen should have called the alumni in all week to fire the team up, every single one that was willing to make the trip and badmouth Dallas, give it that real old-school feel.

They should let Frank call a quarter tomorrow night.

That would really be special! Frank Herzog was the best in the business, IMO. He painted the picture for you; you could easily envision what he was describing.

Larry Michael's a good guy and a competent announcer, but he's no Herzog!

I found this quote interesting:...

"There was some concern in the booth that we might go tumbling down into the crowd at one point at RFK,” he joked. “You know, it’s interesting, that game — and the crowd response — was one of the factors in Jack Kent Cooke building FedEx Field. And he told the builders there he wanted the same acoustics, if not better than RFK, because he wanted the noise. The only thing was, he could never produce a winning football team, and so there was no reason to cheer. So Sunday night may be the first game in which Redskins fans REALLY have a chance and a reason to be a factor in a football game.”

RFK was renowned for being a tough place for opposing teams with the close confines, rough field and unbelieveable noise. I always had the impression that not enough thought was was given to the acoustic properties of FEDEX but maybe I'm wrong. Frank is right about one thing though, fans have to have a reason to cheer and BIG games have been few and far between.

I love the idea that the arrival of RG3 and this young team to prominence means that FEDEX could finally be the home stomping ground that RFK used to be.

Be loud and be proud, those of you lucky enough to take part in history tomorrow. Leave it all on the field, brothers and may the 12th man share in this most glorious of victories!!!

Does anyone have the audio from his pre game comments vs the falcons back in 1991 in the playoffs? It was something along the lines of... the field is very wet, what will the falcons do if they cant run the ball? they're gonna die thats what they are going to do :ols:

"TOUCHDOWN Washington Redskins!"

My children, and even some younger co-workers, have never had the honor of hearing Frank exclaim those famous words. They all look at me in amazement when I, with equal enthusiasm, shout those words every time we score. Few things could be more special than hearing Frank himself as the Redskins march towards another playoff victory. I'm sure that Dan himself heard that phrase during his formative years as a 'skins fan, I don't know how he could in good conscience bring that era to an end.

and there are far worse out there than Larry Michael.

That is very true. It also doesn't help that he is essentially the only one in the booth paying attention. Sonny is there to some extent I guess but Sam is on some other planet for most of the game.

Does anyone have the audio from his pre game comments vs the falcons back in 1991 in the playoffs? It was something along the lines of... the field is very wet, what will the falcons do if they cant run the ball? they're gonna die thats what they are going to do :ols:

>> That's on the highlight tape of the 1991 season. I have it on VHS.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bowl-26-Washington-Redskins/dp/6302660882

There's a woman in the video dressed up like an Indian yelling "Defense, Defense"....I saw her at FedEx (mind you, this is a good 6+ years later) and told her I know you from somewher and then I remembered the 1991 Highlights. I told her that and she looked a little surprised and said "you're right".

---------- Post added December-29th-2012 at 09:26 PM ----------

My children, and even some younger co-workers, have never had the honor of hearing Frank exclaim those famous words. They all look at me in amazement when I, with equal enthusiasm, shout those words every time we score. Few things could be more special than hearing Frank himself as the Redskins march towards another playoff victory. I'm sure that Dan himself heard that phrase during his formative years as a 'skins fan, I don't know how he could in good conscience bring that era to an end.

I got that somewhere off the web and made it the sound effect when the Home Team scores a TD on my NFL2K5 game.

I was on a conference call with work when B. Mitch ran the opening kickoff of the 2nd half back for a TD against the Bucs in the playoffs. I yelled TOUCHDOWN! WASHINGTON REDSKINS! ..that pretty much ended the call.

Archived