Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Source: Seven Schools Agree To Leave Big East

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Over or Under 3 sacks for the 'Skins D?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Over or Under 3 sacks for the 'Skins D?

Click on the link to read the rest,

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8745235/seven-schools-agree-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says

The seven non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools in the Big East have agreed to leave the conference and are debating the process of departing it, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Details are still to be determined for how the seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- will leave the conference.

Big East commissioner Mike Aresco told the athletic directors of the remaining and incoming schools on Thursday evening that he expects the seven schools will leave the Big East, a source told ESPN. On the call, Aresco told the ADs that he had not officially heard from the seven schools that they were leaving.

According to the source, there is a lot of interpretation regarding exit fees, the waiting period, and on who gets the Big East name and Madison Square Garden for a conference basketball tournament.

The departing schools conducted a teleconference with Aresco on Thursday morning. They have scheduled a second conference call for Saturday, when they are expected to address these issues and possibly make an official declaration

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/bigeast14-d7815om-183439151.html

Marquette's new basketball-centric athletic conference will include 10 or 12 teams, have a reasonable television contract and possible rotating sites for its league tournament, according to university sources.

The Golden Eagles will join six other former members of the Big East: Georgetown, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall and Villanova. Butler and Xavier could leave the Atlantic 10 to join the new unnamed league.

Creighton, Virginia Commonwealth, Dayton or St. Louis could become the 10th team, or the conference could begin play with 12 teams if three schools vying for the 10th spot are all worthy candidates.

The decision to form the new league has already been made, according to MU sources. The only holdup is Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, who is struggling with the idea of his school leaving the Big East.

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 11:39 PM ----------

David Woods

‏@DavidWoods007

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reporting Xavier & Butler will leave A-10, join Big East's Catholic 7 in unnamed league.

Its happening because these schools are hoops schools without D-I football. So, they weren't going to make money compared to some of the other programs that do have football and have moved on. So, sounds like they leave....put together something THEY want without the Big East trying to keep a league together with tape and glue......and also keep more of whatever $$$ for themselves.

Lots of tweets flying that VCU and SLU is going. Interesting reaction from Ram land here. We just moved to the A10 and we might be gone after one year. First time we re re alingn in 20 years and now we might do it twice in 2:ols::ols:

Targets are Butler,Xaiver, SLU, Dayton, and VCU from what I'm hearing. I think part of it is you have a public university (VCU) which helps balance things. I wouldn't be surprised to see another public on the radar.

Lots of tweets flying that VCU and SLU is going. Interesting reaction from Ram land here. We just moved to the A10 and we might be gone after one year. First time we re re alingn in 20 years and now we might do it twice in 2:ols::ols:

Targets are Butler,Xaiver, SLU, Dayton, and VCU from what I'm hearing. I think part of it is you have a public university (VCU) which helps balance things. I wouldn't be surprised to see another public on the radar.

I’d be really surprised to see any public institution on their radar. Why balance? The goal was to align themselves with schools that are similar to them. So, smaller private institutions that have high academic standards and a quality basketball program. VCU only meets 1/3 of that criteria. But who knows… really depends on how big they want that league to be (10, 12, 14, 16), and what their priorities really are.

I’d be really surprised to see any public institution on their radar. Why balance? The goal was to align themselves with schools that are similar to them. So, smaller private institutions that have high academic standards and a quality basketball program. VCU only meets 1/3 of that criteria. But who knows… really depends on how big they want that league to be (10, 12, 14, 16), and what their priorities really are.

It's tough to explain. A Georgetown guy was talking about when making a case for VCU. Seemly to having public universities would somehow prevent things from becoming highly unstable like when ACC raided the Big East. I think it's a combination of politics and money(always about the money ain't it?)

Note: VCU does fit in more than you think. While we may not be a private university we definitely have become tougher to get into. I know over my time the admission standards definitely got more tough. I don't understand the 1/3 thing. Private universities will always be smaller than public. We have the quality basketball part. So I'd say we have about 50% perhaps a little more since our university and our coach are always being talked about. VCU brings a new marketing along with lots of momentum. Hottest coach, Final Four recently, commitment shown to basketball, and new facilities popping up everywhere. VCU is in the middle of a billion dollar plan for new buildings(including a stunningly Art building) plus a new state of the art basketball training facility

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ball-framework

Seven schools leaving Big East

WASHINGTON -- The seven Big East schools that don't play FBS football have decided to leave the conference and pursue a new basketball framework.

The presidents of the seven schools made the announcement Saturday, saying it was a unanimous vote. The schools are: DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova.

Big East spokesperson John Paquette told ESPN.com the seven schools will leave on June 30, 2015, per conference bylaws.

The move leaves Connecticut, a founding member of the league in 1979, Cincinnati and South Florida -- three current members with FBS football programs -- up in the air concerning their futures.

Why is all of this happening? Someone please explain, be specific

Because the Big East expanded across the country for football, and the bball schools dont want to spend the money flying their teams (bball and everything else) all over the country when they aren't getting the football revenue.

IMO they're next in line. Louisville won out for the last opening.

I dont. UConn is in a lot of trouble. They dont have much footing in the New York market which would be the reason why they would go to any conference.

What may save them is if Maryland has to pay the exit fee. If they dont, then college sports will become the wild wild west over the next 10 years. Even more than now. Florida State, Clemson, and maybe Georgia Tech would leave the ACC if Maryland do not have to pay the exit fee. UConn would probably join the ACC at that point but the damage would already be done.

I dont. UConn is in a lot of trouble. They dont have much footing in the New York market which would be the reason why they would go to any conference.

What may save them is if Maryland has to pay the exit fee. If they dont, then college sports will become the wild wild west over the next 10 years. Even more than now. Florida State, Clemson, and maybe Georgia Tech would leave the ACC if Maryland do not have to pay the exit fee. UConn would probably join the ACC at that point but the damage would already be done.

Maryland will pay something. I sincerely doubt it will be $50M, particularly given that Louisville was so quickly admitted to the ACC once Maryland left. Louisville hasn't nearly the market draw that Maryland has, so some exit fee is appropriate. But where has $50M in damage been done? Where has even $20M been done? It will be interesting to see which dollar figure both parties land on.

It seems to me that the fate of the ACC will hinge on how large that fee is, not simply on whether or not Maryland has to pay it at all (they will). Anything less than maybe $30M, and quite a few southernmost ACC schools will start lacing up their running shoes and looking westward toward the rest of the SEC. The ACC is going to fall further behind at least two other conferences in their half of the country when it comes to TV payouts; the greater the disparity, the greater the exit fee these schools will happily pay to get out. That would be interesting because surely FSU, GT, and Clemson would make some private SEC overtures, not to mention VT... and the SEC might not want to expand beyond 16 teams, meaning someone would get left out for the time being.

As a GWU alumni I have followed A10 basketball for just about 10+ years. It is an interesting conference that has really grown into its own the last several years. It has always been a top mid-major conference but the A10 recently signed a phenomenal TV deal and have made some really smart moves that I think was going to push it even higher.

Hopefully the conference won't be gutted completely.

What is interesting is that the Big East 7 are actually not that appealing. Take away the name Big East, and you are left with a lot of blah. Georgetown, Marquette, Villianova are all great/strong/elite programs. But that is 3 of 7. DePaul, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall are terrible. History is overrated. Being good once ever 20 years doesn't cut it. They are not good and are dead weight.

It is never good to start a new "basketball" conference in which 4/7 members are below average in basketball, at best.

In the end I think Xaiver, Butler and Creighton join those 7 and they create a 10 member league for 1 year. It will be interesting to see what happens. If Georgetown starts flirting with the ACC. . . .

Maryland will pay something. I sincerely doubt it will be $50M, particularly given that Louisville was so quickly admitted to the ACC once Maryland left. Louisville hasn't nearly the market draw that Maryland has, so some exit fee is appropriate. But where has $50M in damage been done? Where has even $20M been done? It will be interesting to see which dollar figure both parties land on.

It seems to me that the fate of the ACC will hinge on how large that fee is, not simply on whether or not Maryland has to pay it at all (they will). Anything less than maybe $30M, and quite a few southernmost ACC schools will start lacing up their running shoes and looking westward toward the rest of the SEC. The ACC is going to fall further behind at least two other conferences in their half of the country when it comes to TV payouts; the greater the disparity, the greater the exit fee these schools will happily pay to get out. That would be interesting because surely FSU, GT, and Clemson would make some private SEC overtures, not to mention VT... and the SEC might not want to expand beyond 16 teams, meaning someone would get left out for the time being.

lol, you've essentially wrote what I wrote.

I agree, if the Terps have to pay a fee or if the fee is much less than 50 million then the ACC is done.

FSU would join the Big 12, Florida does not want them in the SEC.

Georgia Tech would join the B1G or Big 12 because Georgia does not want them in the SEC

Clemson would join the SEC or Big 12.

But the whole landscape of college sports would change and things would turn into the wild wild west.

In the end I think Xaiver, Butler and Creighton join those 7 and they create a 10 member league for 1 year. It will be interesting to see what happens. If Georgetown starts flirting with the ACC. . . .

I don't see Creighton going before VCU or U of R. The traveling will be the issue. Otherwise they would be going Gonzaga and St Marys relentlessly. Big East 7 were upset at random schools just being inviting and not basically having any say in the conference. Basketball built that conference and then the basketball charter members lost all their say. I think it's gonna be Xavier, Butler, VCU, and possibly Dayton. U of R may be a private in Richmond but as far as overall appeal and media attention that's all VCU. Mainly because VCU never loses to U of R and ever since the Final Four VCU has dominated the media in Richmond. Plus with Shaka's contract and the new state of the art basketball facility being built we've shown our strong commitment to basketball

Archived