Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: DC might swap FBI for 'Skins

frostyj

I have no basis for this opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Snyder has blueprints for a new stadium - probably in DC - already and just waiting for the right circumstances.

In the mean time, it makes sense just to make steady improvements to FedEx. A separate roof structure is an intriguing one, the removal of the upper tier seats could be a prerequisite?

No, imagine a structure built with support beams around the stadium, that covers the stadium, but is not actually attached. I'd love to see an artist's concept with an idea like that.

Imagine if the St. Louis arch was bigger, and there was a building built right underneath of it, but not attached.

Similar concept to Wembley Stadium in London. Can't see it as a retro-fit solution however.

I dunno.

We could nickname RG3 "Big Government".

He's way too efficient for that name

(sorry if somebody already made the joke)

Regarding roofs, I always thought they were overrated. I'm on the other coast and have attended one game in the last 10 years so I don't really have a horse in this race, but in general I've always wondered why an owner doesn't spend the 500M he spent on the roof and just build a super deluxe open roofed stadium. Would you rather host a super bowl every 12 years or have a Lambeau type of atmosphere every home game (especially in the winter)?

Regarding roofs, I always thought they were overrated. I'm on the other coast and have attended one game in the last 10 years so I don't really have a horse in this race, but in general I've always wondered why an owner doesn't spend the 500M he spent on the roof and just build a super deluxe open roofed stadium. Would you rather host a super bowl every 12 years or have a Lambeau type of atmosphere every home game (especially in the winter)?

You do realise that a roof would enhance the atmosphere if anything? It doesn't need to be a dome.

This is an opinion, and one I disagree with.

If you could, what do you see as the biggest benefit/enhancement? Not getting wet when it rains?

Roofs can offer massive acoustic benefit if designed for that purpose. European Soccer fans hate open-air stadiums because of the inert atmosphere.

It's not really an opinion - it's obvious. Unless you're suggested not having a roof over your head makes the individual fans make more noise?

Roofs can offer massive acoustic benefit if designed for that purpose. European Soccer fans hate open-air stadiums because of the inert atmosphere.

It's not really an opinion - it's obvious. Unless you're suggested not having a roof over your head makes the individual fans make more noise?

Hence why they have a half roof on basically every stadium(England,Germany,etc). Before someone says Barcelona is open I should mention how lame the atmosphere is there outside of games against Real Madrid.

Yes, a roof keeps the noise inside the stadium. It also keeps the elements out. I'd prefer to have the elements. It's the NFL, not the Arena league or European Soccer.

Excuse me? Your statement that a roof would quote “enhance the atmosphere” is an opinion, really. If you meant to say that a roof makes the stadium louder, well, that’s fine. However, that is not what you wrote.

Umm having a roof keeps the sound inside the stadium inside spreading out of the stadium

Um yes. It's the “enhancement” of the “atmosphere” that I took issue with.

In addition, the Seahawks have the loudest stadium in the NFL, and no roof. Go figure.

The only way I can see a roof or half-roof being retro-fitted to FedEx is if it were really heavily cantilevered. Old Trafford in Manchester is an interesting case study. I can't see any retro-fit solution being particularly elegant.

If I were Snyder - a new stadium would just be mouth-watering. The opportunity to show Jerry Jones how its done, ignore the vanity and produce something beautiful, loud and in an amazing city environment would be too hard to pass up.

Because that $500M to host a super bowl every 12 years would probably generate more money to the owner and city, then a "lambeau" type of atmosphere. When was the last time you seen the Skins office sell "Team Stock" to make enhancements to the field.

Not nearly enough room for a football stadium on the FBI site. The Nats stadium wouldn't even fit in that space.

As with all inner-city stadium developments in will mostly likely include regeneration of the wider area too so I would doubt it would just be that plot alone.

You know, something I thought of that might work. Some people have said that the feasibility of attaching a roof to Fed Ex is probably not doable, but what if you made a roof that covers the stadium and blends in, but is a seperate structure?

I thought I posted this yesterday, but :whoknows:

I think you are talking about something similar that they did to Arena Stage in Southwest.

This is how it used to look:

1509803795_6ae8ba9b50.jpg

But then they build a structure around the arena:

Arena_Stage.jpg

I think that is what you were talking about. It would be neat to see if they can do that with a football stadium.

That is a roof. Also Seahawk dome before the new stadium was one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. Even louder than Centurylink.

it's easy to see why that stadium is one of the loudest in the NFL. The roof over the stands reflects all sound right back down onto the crowd and field, essentially acting as an amplifier. Ingenius design really. One of the most unique stadiums I've seen.

I thought I posted this yesterday, but :whoknows:

I think you are talking about something similar that they did to Arena Stage in Southwest.

I think that is what you were talking about. It would be neat to see if they can do that with a football stadium.

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. My idea is more like this...for instance...imagine steel support beams, for context that look simlar to the innermost beams of the two roofs on Century Link Field. These begin on the outside of the stadium positioned vertically right next to the stadium itself. Say there were six of them, one on each corner of the stadium and one in the middle on both sides. The beams are then attached to six additional beams which run horizontally just above the upper tier, extending into the stadium meeting at the 50 yard line. Elevating slightly as they extend into the stadium. Then you attach several other support beams to those and attach some kind of roofing material to that, but leaving the sides of the stadium open so you can still see outside from all angles inside the stadium. Basically, the stadium is covered from rain and snow etc, but not closed off completely from the outside.

Archived