Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't tell trees that Global Climate Change is a Myth!

Burgold

My first instinct is to say that the term "global warming" has become loaded with negative meanings like "liberal" and you are seeing a switch in terms similar to the shift to "progressive". But I think a better explanation is that what we are seeing is more complex than just the planet warming, we are seeing changes in the frequency and severity of storms, precipitation distribution, etc (assuming that you believe these changes are actually occurring). So "climate change" more accurately captures the full scope of what is happening.

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/basics/

ahhhh, I see. I wonder what made the negative associations for Global Warming?

What ever happened to Global Warming? Why is it called Global Climate change instead these days?

Because too many were either too stupid, or too willfully ignorant, to comprehend that small increases in global temperature would do more than just make last decade's average temperatures slightly warmer than the one before. :)

Small changes in the average temperature of the planet can translate to large and potentially dangerous shifts in climate and weather. Maybe people don't care that it will get a few degree warmer. But there are consequences in weather and the impact on human development and agriculture.

I think it's because while humans like things in simple black and white terms reality is not so clean

Very true, not so clean indeed.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Conservative pundits saying it was BS? Again, that was just a previous speculation of mine, I think the scope of changes argument makes more sense.

Conservative pundits caused the entire scientific AGW community to change the name of their entire cause? I wouldnt have thought that A) anyone from that side of the fence caring what they say and B) that they would be concerned why the new terminology was needed to begin with.

Very true, not so clean indeed.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

Conservative pundits caused the entire scientific AGW community to change the name of their entire cause? I wouldnt have thought that A) anyone from that side of the fence caring what they say and B) that they would be concerned why the new terminology was needed to begin with.

You are focusing on the explanation I discounted and ignoring the explanation I said was most likely. And climate scientists are not backing away from the notion that temperatures are rising. In fact, two recent studies suggest that "alarmist" predictions from the 90s understated the impacts of climate change (AGW if you prefer) that we are seeing now.

I am dumbfounded that Global Warming is a political topic. Why can we all not accept that climate change is fact??? There are not that many glaciers these days that I am aware of in the lower 48 states, or a whole lot of Wooly Mammoths running around right now (but understand scientists are looking to change the later just like Jurassic Park). Antarctica was once a tropical rainforest and now the driest / coldest continent on the planet.

Can we all not also agree that pollution is not good???

I am dumbfounded that Global Warming is a political topic. Why can we all not accept that climate change is fact??? There are not that many glaciers these days that I am aware of in the lower 48 states, or a whole lot of Wooly Mammoths running around right now (but understand scientists are looking to change the later just like Jurassic Park). Antarctica was once a tropical rainforest and now the driest / coldest continent on the planet.

Can we all not also agree that pollution is not good???

That's one of the reasons I respect you as a poster. You are not so in bed with the ideology that you can't be pragmatic. That's more or less my view... that there's a problem and it can and is harming us... let's step and stop worrying about blame.

We can look at the environment, the rise in cancers, asthma and other symptoms and clearly see that we are harming ourselves. It's pretty obvious on most metrics. What we can do to mitigate the damage is less clear... if it is cyclic, we can certainly try not to accerbate it... if it is largely our doing we can reduce it. In any case, there is a tipping point that we don't want to go over. No one's really sure where that it is, but I bet absolutely no one is truly eager to find out.

That would be the worst "I told you so" in species history.

Sure. But the point was that for years certain factions were denying that was any change.

You mean like those that deny the cooling now ?

just a matter of degree and what the drivers are for most...and the response

You mean like those that deny the cooling now ?

just a matter of degree and what the drivers are for most...and the response

Nobody has ever said that the temperature would only go up. For the last 80 years, there have been "local" highs and from those local highs there has been "local" cooling.

According to GISS, 2011 was the 9th warmest year on record.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2012/20120119_Temperature.pdf

Hadcrut has it as the 11th:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2011/2011-global-temperature

Satelite data has it as the 9th warmest year:

http://nsstc.uah.edu/climate/2011/december/Dec2011GTR.pdf

And every data set has this year being warmer than last year.

We can look at the environment, the rise in cancers, asthma and other symptoms and clearly see that we are harming ourselves. It's pretty obvious on most metrics. What we can do to mitigate the damage is less clear... if it is cyclic, we can certainly try not to accerbate it... if it is largely our doing we can reduce it. In any case, there is a tipping point that we don't want to go over. No one's really sure where that it is, but I bet absolutely no one is truly eager to find out.

That would be the worst "I told you so" in species history.

I ran into a TED talk a little while ago about eventually having to do geo-engineering. Even if we do not hit a runaway situation, the delay between putting up CO2 and feeling the result essentially guarantees that we will not get the political will to solve this problem by limiting emissions.

So, we will probably need to block out the Sun a little bit at some point. Just a little bit and only at the poles. It's going to be great.

Now lets get those Giants tomorrow!!!

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 09:59 PM ----------

Here it is

http://blog.ted.com/2007/11/13/david_keith/

Nobody has ever said that the temperature would only go up. For the last 80 years, there have been "local" highs and from those local highs there has been "local" cooling.

and not just for the last 80 yrs

Do you have enough faith in the models to endorse geo-engineering ?

and not just for the last 80 yrs

Do you have enough faith in the models to endorse geo-engineering ?

Not in the way alexey means, I don't think at this point in time.

No, I don't. I don't think there is even models that have tried to take into account various geo-engineering options other than the basic put aersoles up there, but the problem is that aersoles have very limited half lives with respect to CO2 so over any sort of reasonable amount of time you are talking about huge amounts of aersoles. Other forms of geo-engineering are essentially science fiction.

Right now I think the plan should be you reduce CO2 output and start planning on mitigating on the local level. The big thing is to figure your 100 year flood plains for areas like the east coast are going to become your 20 year flood plain and plan building and building codes accordingly. Deal with global issues as best you can as they come.

And then you go from there based on what happens and what research shows.

But that doesn't make your point any more accurate.

we have reduced co2, and should be able to increase the trend utilizing NG(as well as reducing other problems)

probably not going to have much luck getting other countries to do so

the accuracy of my point matters about as much as my opinion

we have reduced co2, and should be able to increase the trend utilizing NG(as well as reducing other problems)

probably not going to have much luck getting other countries to do so

the accuracy of my point matters about as much as my opinion

We still use way too much CO2 as compared to the rest of the world:

"Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities. In 2010, CO2 accounted for about 84% of all U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from human activities"

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/co2.html

And going to NG doesn't necessarily help depending on emissions at NG mining sites, especially because NG is a more powerful GHG and over time is converte dinto CO2.

I think NG can certainly help the situation, but there is going to have to be pressure on companies to do it manner that greatly minimizes emissions from the sites.

**EDIT**

And other have countries have lowered emissions too:

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=en_atm_co2e_pc&idim=country:DEU&dl=en&hl=en&q=germany%20carbon%20dioxide%20emissions

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=en_atm_co2e_pc&idim=country:FRA&dl=en&hl=en&q=france%20carbon%20dioxide%20emissions

Partly, this was the result of the recession, but part of is directly related to environmental related policies.

**EDIT 2**

If we'd even do some relatively small things like try and minimize packagin waste the way that Europe has we'd use a lot less CO2, save ourselves money, and have fewer land fills (which would help save us money)

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1044&bih=573&sclient=psy-ab&q=Europe+packaging+waste+%22united+states%22&oq=Europe+packaging+waste+%22united+states%22&gs_l=hp.3...12154.15954.1.16241.16.16.0.0.0.0.110.1473.15j1.16.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.kcsCpj2dph4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=98e3c25732cb68a3&bpcl=39314241

There are so many SMALL things we could do that its laughable until you think about it much, and then it is depressing.

Archived