Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making a prediction for Madden next year

bonesbr549

man i will never understand belief in "curses". and even if you could say the Madden curse existed, it has already ended...

it's not so much a "curse" I think, as it is unnecessary attention is put on a player. It's a high profile gig, and it seems like the year that somebody goes on the cover they always under perform.

Someone please enlighten me as to who exactly is cursed? Larry Fitzgerald? Calvin Johnson? Drew Brees?... i'd love to hear the reaches on how these three were cursed.

Let me guess... Fitz has been cursed by bad QB play, Drew Brees has been cursed with spygate and Calvin Johnson has only caught 4TDs this year (despite 1200 yards)

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

I don't include Polomalu because he was already injury prone before he was on the cover... it's just catching up to him now as he gets older and some one hit wonder like Peyton Hillis shouldn't have been on the cover to begin with. Brett Favre had a decent season with the undertalented Jets and a monster season with the Vikes before he got hurt two years later.

Calvin Johnson has 7 games without a touchdown, 4 games under 100 yards receiving, has been dealing with a nagging knee injury since camp, and the Lions are 4-7 with, basically, no chance of making the playoffs.

The curse is real. You do not tempt the curse.

Keep Robert Griffin III off the cover. It's better not to risk it.

you've extended the curse to include how the Lions are performing as a whole and to include a nagging injury. The curse was originally only specific to the individual so you can throw team's record out the window and since when in the NFL, do players not deal with some type of small, nagging injury? Calvin hasn't missed a game and has a legit shot at breaking Jerry Rice's yardage record. Hardly cursed...

Even if every single player hasn't had an injury afterwards, too many examples of players falling off a cliff after they appear on the cover.

RGIII will be our Madden cover representative for many years, but I will always vote against him.

I don't want that kind of blood on my hands.

you've extended the curse to include how the Lions are performing as a whole and to include a nagging injury. The curse was originally only specific to the individual so you can throw team's record out the window and since when in the NFL, do players not deal with some type of small, nagging injury? Calvin hasn't missed a game and has a legit shot at breaking Jerry Rice's yardage record. Hardly cursed...

Yeah. I mean one could argue that Brees broke the curse too...

it's not so much a "curse" I think, as it is unnecessary attention is put on a player. It's a high profile gig, and it seems like the year that somebody goes on the cover they always under perform.

Well look at this way... RG3 has already had tremendous expectations, to the point of almost being unattainable due to an unprecedented trade that brought him to Washington. Coaches and teammates have put pressure on RG3 to stay healthy and not take unnecessary hits since the Falcons game, so being on the cover of Madden hardly produces a situation that Robert Griffin III is not already currently dealing with.

He threw 22 picks and lost to the 7-9 Seahawks in the playoffs, coming off of a Super Bowl victory.

you made your argument while leaving out that he also had 33 TDs, 4600 yards and a 68% completion rate as well as that losing to seattle is hardly your fault when the defense allowed Marshawn Lynch to create his greatest Beast Mode highlight with 9 broken tackles in one run.

Just saying, it still wasn't his usual level of performance. He struggled at times that year more than we'd seen in a while.

happens to the best of them... Aaron Rodgers has underperformed this year compared to what most people have become accustomed to, though he wasn't on the cover.

happens to the best of them... Aaron Rodgers has underperformed this year compared to what most people have become accustomed to, though he wasn't on the cover.

Wouldn't say that, considering Rodgers is still on pace to be very close to his career high in TDs. He's disgustingly good.

yeah, he's still having a great season, just not as great as last season was my point.

I understand, but I think last year was just Rodgers going insane and playing at a historically high level. It's kind of like saying Brady has been slumping because he hasn't matched 2007. There's a difference between "not being as great as your greatest season" and "not being as great as what people are accustomed to".

Archived