Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Who To Root For/Against Thread

kleese

Anyone else kinda wishing the nfl overturned that stupid fail mary? I mean, when announcers straight up call it that AND no one disputes that Seattle should have lost... I know that would be unprecedented, but this isn't a judgment call. It was the last play of the game, no penalty, and Seattle didn't make that catch; it's not like they even had time to run one more play. That's a loss plain and simple. As it is, they should be 7-6 with a conference record of 5-5, meaning if both clubs won out we're in the playoffs and they are at home. Instead, even if they lose another game to the Bills, they beat us by our record against the same opponents. What a ****ing joke if that replacement ref call actually affects the outcome of the playoffs. God I hope San Fran murders them in week 16.

Basically hoping SF loses to New England and therefor the Seattle game becomes very important to them.

Easy to forget about the teams behind us. STL is 6-6-1, MIN is 7-6 (head-to-head tiebreak to us, obviously. They're playing each other on Sunday, and I'm not sure who to root for. STL has the tiebreak on us, but unless we have a tie game ourselves, that won't matter. Afterwards, MIN has to play HOU & GB, so they have a tough schedule. STL has to play TB & SEA. Speaking of whom, TB isn't out of it either. I hope NO gets its act together and beats TB, as that might give them some momentum going into their game against DAL in week 16.

I rooting for the Vikings over the Rams. For one, we hold the tie breaker over them and the Rams hold the tie breaker over us. Plus, someone mentioned the Vikings have Houston and Green Bay after that.

Rooting for Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Buffalo and San Francisco. I want the Niners to beat the Patriots and take the NFCW and keep NE from getting home field in the AFC.

I rooting for the Vikings over the Rams. For one, we hold the tie breaker over them and the Rams hold the tie breaker over us. Plus, someone mentioned the Vikings have Houston and

Tiebreaker with Rams doesn't matter... We can't tie them in the standings unless we tie one of our remaining three games. The Rams-Vikings loser is essentially eliminated and the winner would have to win their last two games AND we'd need to lose in order for them to pass us. I'm not concerned about either of these teams at all.

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 08:54 AM ----------

Pasting the OP here in case people are too lazy to check :)

1. Falcons over Giants

2. Packers over Bears

Either of those go our way and we officially control our own destiny. And if either of those go our way, it also gives us a little breathing room if we happen to lose on Sunday... The Giants could very well lose again next week at Baltimore and the Bears would be in full free fall mode and could lose either at Arizona or at Detroit. By far and away, as a fan, those are the two games you should be watching most closely.

3. Bills over Seahawks

4. Steelers over Cowboys

It would be nice for Seattle to drop this one, but we really need them to lose one of their last two against NFC teams. Similar situation for Cowboys... Losing to Pittsburgh only matters to us if they then also lose to New Orleans.

5. Patriots over 49ers

Catching the Niners is a longshot considering they need to lose out and end at home with Arizona, but might as well root against them just in case.

6. Rams/Vikings... That could go either way. I'd say root for the Rams because they would need to win out to pass us (and we'd have to lose again) but I really don't view either team as a threat.

7. Bucs/Saints is irrelevant to us.... Only ways Bucs pass us is if they win out and we go 8-8 and we all know we are out of it anyway if we go 8-8.

8. Depending on your perspective, maybe keep an eye on Broncos/Ravens. If Denver wins, Baltimore will be desperate when they play the Giants next week. I guess you could also argue they'd be collapsing and maybe not in a good frame to play the Giants. Either way, it probably bears watching a little bit.

The main focus is by far and away the Falcons and Packers.

I have funny feeling the Cowboys are going to beat the Steelers. Dallas gets up for games like this. But you know that Mike Tomline has been giving them guy’s hell in practice this week so I might be wrong. Anyway we have to take care of our business and we should be good.

I see the Rams as a tougher opponent. I'd rather get them out of the way and deal with the more finesse Vikings, especially with them having to play the Texans and Packers the next two weeks, while the Rams get an easier finish.

I just think its irrelevant to us. First of all, we can close the book on the loser of that game and the winner can only pass us if we lose. And if we lose, then whoever wins that game would only need one loss in their final two:

Rams: at Bucs, at Seahawks

Vikings: at Texans, Packers

These two teams are pretty irrelevant to us

This weeks teams to root for:

Saints to beat the Cowboys

Ravens to beat the Giants

Cardinals to beat the Bears

Niners to beat the Seahawks

Texans to beat the Vikings

Bucs to beat the Rams

Rams game and Cowboys vs. Saints doesn't matter. Rams can only finish 8-7-1 and we won't get in at 8-8. Cowboys, we have to beat them in week 17 regardless, either to win the division, or to have a shot at the wild card. No matter what happens this weekend, if we lose to the Cowboys, we finish behind them.

Actually if anything, I'd rather have the Cowboys win this weekend - increases the chances of the Giants not making the playoffs one way or another.

Texans, Cards, Ravens, 49ers is who we're rooting for. We would own tiebreaker over Seattle.

Tandler has a nice write up on this

You see the headlines that the Redskins are in first place in the NFC East. That is not technically true. They are in a three-way tie for first place and as of right now they hold the tiebreaker advantage. However, those tiebreaker advantages are not locked in.

But that is really a matter of semantics. The Redskins’ playoff destiny is in their own hands and that is what really matters.

Here is an updated look at the Redskins’ playoff possibilities:

NFC East

Here is the current picture in the NFC East.

Team-record-division record-remaining games

Redskins 8-6, 3-1, @ Eagles, Cowboys

Cowboys 8-6, 3-2, Saints, @ Redskins

Giants 8-6, 2-3, @ Ravens, Eagles

If the Redskins win out, the Cowboys will be at least one game behind because Washington will have beaten them. And if the Giants also win out, the Redskins will take the division based on a better division record.

That part is simple. It gets complicated if the Redskins trip up and lose a game.

If the Redskins lose to the Eagles, they will still have a shot at the division. They would need for the Giants to drop one of their two last games and to beat Dallas. Assuming the Cowboys beat the Saints, all three teams would be 9-7. The Redskins would be 3-1 against the other two teams, the Cowboys 1-3 and New York 2-2, giving Washington the head to head tiebreaker.

If just the Cowboys and Redskins are 9-7 the Redskins would win the tiebreakers based on the head to head sweep. Washington would beat out New York in a two-team tiebreaker with a better division record.

If the Redskins beat the Eagles and lose to the Cowboys, they will have to hope they can take a wild card even if they Cowboys lose to the Saints. The teams would both be 9-7, tied head to head and would have 4-2 division marks. The next tiebreaker is record in common games.

The teams have 12 common games (Giants X 2, Eagles X 2, Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Bucs, Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns). The Cowboys have eight wins against those teams with one to play and the Redskins have six with one to play. Dallas has that tiebreaker clinched.

The Giants, of course, would have the Redskins fighting for a wild card if they win out and Washington splits its last two.

Wild card

For the sake of simplicity, we’ll assume that the Seahawks will win one of their remaining two games, both at home, and wrap up one of the wild card spots. That leaves one wild card spot for the Redskins to play for.

Here are the other contenders for that spot:

Team-Record-NFC record-Remaining games

Vikings 8-6, 6-5, @ Texans, Packers

Bears 8-6, 5-5, @ Cardinals, @ Lions

The Giants and Cowboys also are in the wild card mix. Let’s also note that the Redskins would have to lose a game to get into the wild card mix because if they win out, they win the division.

If the Redskins beat the Eagles next Sunday and the Giants, Vikings, and Bears all lose, Washington clinches at least a wild card spot. Even if the Redskins lose to Dallas in the finale, they would beat the Vikings based on a head to head win, the Bears due to a better conference record, and the Giants with a better division record.

The Redskins could still get a wild card with a loss in either of their last two games if the Bears, Vikings, and Giants all split their last two games. If they are all 9-7, the same tiebreaker advantages would apply.

Rams game and Cowboys vs. Saints doesn't matter. Rams can only finish 8-7-1 and we won't get in at 8-8. Cowboys, we have to beat them in week 17 regardless, either to win the division, or to have a shot at the wild card. No matter what happens this weekend, if we lose to the Cowboys, we finish behind them.

Actually if anything, I'd rather have the Cowboys win this weekend - increases the chances of the Giants not making the playoffs one way or another.

Texans, Cards, Ravens, 49ers is who we're rooting for. We would own tiebreaker over Seattle.

If the Cowboys beat the Saints, doesn't that increase the likelihood that they would win a tiebreaker? (Conference record). Nah, I'm rooting for the Saints. I was thinking that we own the tiebreaker against the Bucs head to head, but not the Rams.

If the Redskins beat the Eagles next Sunday and the Giants, Vikings, and Bears all lose, Washington clinches at least a wild card spot. Even if the Redskins lose to Dallas in the finale, they would beat the Vikings based on a head to head win, the Bears due to a better conference record, and the Giants with a better division record.

The Redskins could still get a wild card with a loss in either of their last two games if the Bears, Vikings, and Giants all split their last two games. If they are all 9-7, the same tiebreaker advantages would apply.

This is all I need to know (c/p to notepad). Thanx SCC!

on the caption of Romo sits to pee on ESPN.com, it says that the Cowboys control their destiny. While that is technically true, it makes it sound like they are in the driver's seat. We also control our destiny, and our on top right now. But, of course, all anyone wants to hear about is the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys beat the Saints, doesn't that increase the likelihood that they would win a tiebreaker? (Conference record). Nah, I'm rooting for the Saints. I was thinking that we own the tiebreaker against the Bucs head to head, but not the Rams.

No. The Cowboys would own tiebreaker over us if we lose to them and finish with same record. Common opponent tiebreaker applies before conference record. They have the common opp. advantage.

It would have been nice not having the Cowboys in the picture, but somehow they keep slipping out of trouble. For all the focus on the Giants these last weeks, ironically it comes down to the Cowboys. Granted, there's a good chance we would have needed this game whether the Cowboys were still alive or not. In some ways they may have been more dangerous if they didn't have anything to play for except ruining our season (no pressure). At this point it's just as well if they beat the Saints next Sunday. I'd rather the Redskins and Cowboys go head to head with the same record and not have a silly tie-breaker come into play (since that silly tie-breaker isn't in our favor).

It would be a great Christmas gift if somehow the Giants, Vikings, and Bears lost this Sunday so we would know we had the wild-card in our back-pocket. My nerves are going to be shot.

Division Tiebreakers

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

so even if the cowboys lose to the saints, they will have a better common opponent record than us?

Yes because the non-common games we have are us vs Rams and Vikings whom we went 1-1 against

Dallas had Chicago and Seattle who they went 0-2 against. Therefore if we finish with the same 9-7 record we would be 8-6 against common opponenets and they would be 9-5.

Hope that makes sense

Yes because the non-common games we have are us vs Rams and Vikings whom we went 1-1 against

Dallas had Chicago and Seattle who they went 0-2 against. Therefore if we finish with the same 9-7 record we would be 8-6 against common opponenets and they would be 9-5.

Hope that makes sense

damn that sucks. it would be nice knowing if we beat the eagles and dallas lost this week, we would be on top of them no matter what happens in week 17

Archived