Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan.. Extension or move on, what would you do ?

Lavarleap56

I'm not sure where I stand on Mike Shanahan yet.. Everything added up does not paint a picture of future success under his guidance unless changes are made.

Hasletts ticket for departure will come anytime after Thanksgiving. Kyle is not guaranteed to stay with the organization either. You could be looking at a new DC & OC entering year 4/5 and that to me is a mess. Year 4 is when you usually have to decide if you are going to extend a coach or enter the infamous last year of the contract with no extension aka " lame duck "status. .

So how would Shanahan improve the team with -18 million, little draft picks, new DC, new OC, possible new DL coach , and a lot of needs??

You are almost at the point that it might be better to cut bait from Mike and start the process again around RG3. I cant believe I said it but its how I feel. Shanny is not going to coach forever and he likely wont be here past 5 IF he makes it that long. so what are you losing?

Some will say you are losing a year of RG3s development..True but if Mike sucks it up in 2013 and is gone then you have wasted 2 years. The problem will just compound then consistency will become stagnancy.

:rant:

What would you do If you were Bruce Allen and had the keys to the Redskins Kingdom? The time is coming to make a decision that will have a greater impact on this franchise then firing Vinny or hiring Shanahan... This decision could determine if Robert Griffin III is able to meet his potential OR fall short with the likes of Jason Campbell.

What would your plan bee if you did push the eject button on Mike Shanahan ?

First, if I was Dan Snyder I would:

1. Trash the network of scouts we have currently, that are almost all holdovers from the Vinny era. Get more that are well versed in 3-4 personnel selection as well if we are really keeping the 3-4.

2. We only have an AVERAGE number of scouts. If Snyder is going to gouge us with ticket prices then at least pay for double the amount of scouts that any other team has.

See this for more details on points 1 and 2:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/under-mike-shanahan-redskins-roster-could-benefit-from-more-delegation-better-scouting-infrastructure-nfl-observers-say/2011/12/09/gIQAQ6BalO_story.html

3. Fire Haslett... get a coordinator who is hungry and adaptable. Today's NFL is as much about halftime adjustments as it is on the fly. We are great in the 1st and 3rd quarter, but HORRENDOUS in the 2nd and 4th quarters which is when it matters.

4. Extend Shanny for another 2-3 years, but have certain stipulations to make it voidable based on if parties want to walk away from each other and/or other scenarios.

It really doesn't matter. Our organization is dysfunctional from the top.

You don't go around kissing your prospective head coach's ass to try to get him to come here, then jet set around the carribean with him and go hang out with him at scouting combines in Texas hoping you can be his buddy.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one where there is no accountability for the coaching staff. Hell, the coach picked his GM and told the owner what he would and wouldn't do before he got here.... and the owner still begged him to come here. Guess that same Owner now gets to fire them both? If it's Shanny or whatever other big name is begged to come here, it just doesn't matter. We have a clown running the show who doesn't know the first thing about organizational leadership.

You hire a GM, then you hold their asses (GM and coach that GM hires) accountable every step of the way. You don't hang out with them for Thursday Tea or vacation with them in the Bahamas, because its not appropriate. You sit down with them (coach and GM) midway through the season and at the end of the season and assess their performance to the goals that you set for them when you hired them.

It really doesn't matter. Our organization is dysfunctional from the top.

You don't go around kissing your prospective head coach's ass to try to get him to come here, then jet set around the carribean with him and go hang out with him at scouting combines in Texas hoping you can be his buddy.

The situation we find ourselves in now is one where there is no accountability for the coaching staff. Hell, the coach picked his GM and told the owner what he would and wouldn't do before he got here.... and the owner still begged him to come here. Guess that same Owner now gets to fire them both? If it's Shanny or whatever other big name is begged to come here, it just doesn't matter. We have a clown running the show who doesn't know the first thing about organizational leadership.

You hire a GM, then you hold their asses (GM and coach that GM hires) accountable every step of the way. You don't hang out with them for Thursday Tea or vacation with them in the Bahamas, because its not appropriate. You sit down with them (coach and GM) midway through the season and at the end of the season and assess their performance to the goals that you set for them when you hired them.

Accountability is a huge issue that extends from the coaches to the players as well.

Im guessing you are not in favor of a extension and want Dan to sell the team ? :silly:

If that's what it comes down to, I'd say just move on(assuming we finish with double digit losses which we are on pace to do).

I like Kyle but he won't stay if his pops gets fired and honestly, three straight years of 10+ losses means you do not deserve an extension.

With that said, my optimal choice would be to let him coach out the final year. Of course, get a new D Coord as well.

Some will say you are losing a year of RG3s development..

What would your plan bee if you did push the eject button on Mike Shanahan ?

I think Griffin is underdeveloped as a rhythm drop back passer, therefore I don't even consider it losing a year of development.

IF no Mike:

Hire a GM

Let the GM hire a young HC that is a leader of men

The GM/Coach pick a staff:

OC- Either the HC or the OC must have prior experience w/ both an developing a QB and the WCO offense (Tom Clement, Rick Dennison, Bruce Arians)

Hire a 34 DC

IMO, the teams that win year after year have had the same coach, same system, same QB etc etc etc... Redskins nation loves change, i'm tired of change, our offense is starting to click, we need a few solid players in the secondary and we are making the playoffs.

See Norv Turner and the Chargers...

I don't like Dan either, Zoony, but this is as close to organizational normalcy and respectability as we've had here since he's been an owner. I'm not willing to part with that just yet. No way. Mike gets his full 5 years to do what he said he was going to do and if the team doesn't look like a championship contender set up for years at the end of 5 then I move on. I do like Allen as GM. He's done well with trades and contracts thus far, though I know you disagree and believe he should've known better with the capgate thing.

That's how I feel.

I think Griffin is underdeveloped as a rhythm drop back passer, therefore I don't even consider it losing a year of development.

IF no Mike:

Hire a GM

OC- Either the HC or the OC must have prior experience w/ both an developing a QB and the WCO offense (Tom Clement, Rick Dennison, Bruce Arians)

Hire a 34 DC

Have to agree with the RG3 part.. Imagine if Luck, Tannehill, and Wilson all find their way into the playoffs this year. Coming into the season we were suppose to have the strongest supporting cast to implement a rookie QB into.

I would go along with you on the plan as well. Personally I want a hungry assistant that burns to make a name for himself to lead the way.

IF no Mike:

Hire a GM

Hire a 34 DC

Have to agree with the RG3 part.. Imagine if Luck, Tannehill, and Wilson all find their way into the playoffs this year. Coming into the season we were suppose to have the strongest supporting cast to implement a rookie QB into.

I would go along with you on the plan as well. Personally I want a hungry assistant that burns to make a name for himself to lead the way.

See Norv Turner and the Chargers...

See the Patriots, Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Saints, Packers....

And are we seriously talking about a new GM already??

I guess we are only a few losing seasons away before we start questioning RG3?

Also...see the Redskins over the past 20 years...just saying.

That plan gets harder and harder as the weeks go bye. Team has to win to promote Kyle to head coach. Kyle could leave this year regardless of what his dads situation is.

Please elaborate. Is Kyle in the hot seat here????? Seems odd the redskins wouldn't want him but another team would......

Also...see the Redskins over the past 20 years...just saying.

Bruce is not going anywhere

---------- Post added November-11th-2012 at 01:55 AM ----------

Please elaborate. Is Kyle in the hot seat here????? Seems odd the redskins wouldn't want him but another team would......

His contract is up.. can go where he chooses.

lol

I was never a fan of Mike Shanahan. Never liked him in Denver, never wanted him in DC. But, he became our HC so I supported him. I just see us parting ways with him well before he'd guide us to our 4th Lombardi. So, why wait? The better teams see problems before they are problems. The Redskins seem to wait until its a near death experience before they start thinking about change.

I am all about continuity if you see progress. As you said, all the good teams do have continuity and make things work. However, I really think we are regressing. Even if this is our 1st season of having a QB since I was a little tyke. If I were even born yet.

Archived