Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII vs Luck

The Trashman

The Colts tanked the season last year to get Luck, it was so laughably obvious. Luck came from a pro-style offense and has one of the top receivers in all of football. Luck was universally touted as the more pro-ready player coming out of college. RGIII didn't even have a playbook in college. Both we, and the media, overestimated the talent on this team and underestimated that of the Colts, who tanked last season.

With that said, Luck is better right now. He's more ready, he's in a better situation, and his team has the best reason in the World to play their hearts out.

The Colts didn't tank last year, they were just terrible. They beat the Texans at the end of the season. In fact, I remember some analysts questioning why they WEREN'T tanking their game!

And while most experts were saying Luck was more pro-ready, they were also saying that RG3 was going into a better situation.

The Colts didn't tank last year, they were just terrible. They beat the Texans at the end of the season. In fact, I remember some analysts questioning why they WEREN'T tanking their game!

And while most experts were saying Luck was more pro-ready, they were also saying that RG3 was going into a better situation.

Go back and watch there game near the end of the season last year against the Jaguars and tell me they didn't tank. That was the week where if the Colts won and the Rams lost the Rams would've secured the first pick.

Go back and watch there game near the end of the season last year against the Jaguars and tell me they didn't tank. That was the week where if the Colts won and the Rams lost the Rams would've secured the first pick.

Ridiculous statement. Who tanked the season - the GM and son combo that were ran out of town? The coach and staff that was fired? The players who were released? What reasoning did any of them have to tank to acquire a player they won't benefit from? The colts went 2 - 14 last year because they sucked. Period. Go back and look at the teams drafts from '07 - '10 and it becomes pretty damn obvious what the issue was (Anthony Gonzales, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes). The talent level on the team had eroded and the coaching staff sucked. Manning had carried the team the prior year and without his brilliance it sucked. If the team kept everything intact, released manning, brought in luck and started winning I could understand the argument. But they didn't - they changed nearly every damn position below the owner and they significantly changed the offensive and defensive schemes. To say they tanked is either hatred or ignorance.

Ridiculous statement. Who tanked the season - the GM and son combo that were ran out of town? The coach and staff that was fired? The players who were released? What reasoning did any of them have to tank to acquire a player they won't benefit from? The colts went 2 - 14 last year because they sucked. Period. Go back and look at the teams drafts from '07 - '10 and it becomes pretty damn obvious what the issue was (Anthony Gonzales, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes). The talent level on the team had eroded and the coaching staff sucked. Manning had carried the team the prior year and without his brilliance it sucked. If the team kept everything intact, released manning, brought in luck and started winning I could understand the argument. But they didn't - they changed nearly every damn position below the owner and they significantly changed the offensive and defensive schemes. To say they tanked is either hatred or ignorance.

Good post...

the amount of turnover on that roster is crazy

I neither hate nor care about the Colts organization one bit. Curtis Painter was terrible, should've been benched when they immediately realized how bad he was but they kept playing him. I'm sorry if it seems odd to me that a team that had won 10+ plus games 11 out of 12 years suddenly wins only 2 games when it just so happens the best QB prospect since John Elway is in the draft. Maybe "tanked" was a strong word however I don't think Jim Irsay cared about winning to much last year when Manning went down, with Luck being in the draft.

I neither hate nor care about the Colts organization one bit. Curtis Painter was terrible, should've been benched when they immediately realized how bad he was but they kept playing him. I'm sorry if it seems odd to me that a team that had won 10+ plus games 11 out of 12 years suddenly wins only 2 games when it just so happens the best QB prospect since John Elway is in the draft. Maybe "tanked" was a strong word however I don't think Jim Irsay cared about winning to much last year when Manning went down, with Luck being in the draft.

Maybe they won 2 games when it just so happened their HOF, in the conversation for GOAT QB missed the entire season. Irsay cared so little about winning that when it was determined Manning would miss at least part of the season he gave Kerry Collins $8 mil guaranteed. Does Collins suck? Yes, but he was the best option available so they signed him. Painter didn't start until Collins was hurt. He was benched and Orlovsky started the final 5 games - winning two and losing the last game only by 3. The Colts won the top pick based on tie breakers - they didn't have anything sewn up before losing that last game.

Again, the Colts beat the TEXANS near the end of the season. Therefore, how can you say they were tanking? They just weren't any good. I think the Jags game you mentioned occurred right after they had beaten the Texans. So yeah, it's possible they might have came to their senses and realized that by winning that game, they wouldn't get Luck. But you were basically accusing them of tanking the entire season. Which, is just incorrect.

What does Jim Irsay have to do with it? Does he play on Sundays? Call plays? Game plan during the week? Did he instruct his decision makers to lose out and then fire them?

As already pointed out Irsay put his money where his mouth was and attempted to salvage the season by overpaying Collins. The idea that any team intentionally loses in today's NFL is laughable. There's far too much at stake to be worried about a draft pick.

What makes you say this? The Head Coach hasn't even been around most of the season due to illness. What has Arians done that is standing out as an improvement in coaching?

He's not Jim Caldwell. That's enough.

I think Pagano is going to be a great head coach. He was with the team through training camp and the first few games, but, as you mentioned, he's not been with the team for many weeks. Arians has been a mixed bag - the record has certainly been good, but he's had many very curious (bad) decisions. Regardless, he has been significantly better than Caldwell.

• 1 month later...

for those obessessing over this like me ... Looking at their splits saw some pretty interesting stuff.

• Robert has attempted 13 passes of 41+ yards, he’s completed 4 for 4 TD and 0 Int. Luck is 2 for 12 with 1 TD and 2 Int.
  • However passes between 21-30 yards Luck is 19-53 (35%) with 4 TD and 2 Int. RG3 is 9-14 for 2 and 0.
  • On 3rd and between 3 and 8 yards to go RG3 is 31 of 51 (60.8%) with 4 TD and 1 Int, 93% rating. Luck is 32 of 64 (50%) with 3 TD and 5 Ints, 55% rating.

It's amazing how many passes Andrew has thrown ...hard to really do an apples to apples on alot of other stuff.

for those obessessing over this like me ... Looking at their splits saw some pretty interesting stuff.

• Robert has attempted 13 passes of 41+ yards, he’s completed 4 for 4 TD and 0 Int. Luck is 2 for 12 with 1 TD and 2 Int.
  • However passes between 21-30 yards Luck is 19-53 (35%) with 4 TD and 2 Int. RG3 is 9-14 for 2 and 0.
  • On 3rd and between 3 and 8 yards to go RG3 is 31 of 51 (60.8%) with 4 TD and 1 Int, 93% rating. Luck is 32 of 64 (50%) with 3 TD and 5 Ints, 55% rating.

It's amazing how many passes Andrew has thrown ...hard to really do an apples to apples on alot of other stuff.

it really doesn't matter how you slice it - Luck's stats are not very impressive, and RG3's are outstanding.

Painter didn't start until Collins was hurt. He was benched and Orlovsky started the final 5 games - winning two and losing the last game only by 3. The Colts won the top pick based on tie breakers - they didn't have anything sewn up before losing that last game.

So ... The Colts were 0-11 and then replaced their QB with Orlovsky and went 2-3? Clearly Orlovsky should have won league MVP. :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000114423/article/rookie-of-the-year-race-why-rg3-deserves-to-win

Griffin has done everything the Redskins have asked. He's the biggest reason why the Redskins are the fifth-highest scoring team in the league. Wilson and Luck have both been terrific, but Griffin's individual play has been more consistent overall. There are some peaks, valleys or "rookie mistakes."

This class has a chance to go down as one of the greatest of all time. For this year, Griffin leads the pack.

Boom. Discussion over. LOL I got so excited reading this. HAIL!

it really doesn't matter how you slice it - Luck's stats are not very impressive, and RG3's are outstanding.

How true, and when everyone picks it apart and presents their version of how RG3's stats are greater then Luck, I always picture this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qqQ-EQ3vk

No matter how you present it, RG3 > Luck.

If Luck had had our defense the first half of the year people would be asking if he was going to be a bust. Here are some facts:

Completion %

Weeden - 57.2%

Sanchez - 54.8%

Luck - 54.6

Int

Luck - 18

Sanchez - 17

Weeden - 17

Opponents Points off of turnovers

RGIII - 27

Luck - 66

Here are the four QBs he's ahead of in QB Rating - Mark Sanchez, Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassell, John Skelton.

In the end, Griffin is gonna win the award because of the amount of turnovers Luck has. Luck has just one less turnover than Mark Sanchez. While Griffin, I believe, is tied with Tom Brady for the fewest.

When Luck's team had a 3-game edge on the Redskins in the standings, you could make a very good case for Luck. Not now. Not with us having just 1 less win than them. And having played a tougher schedule.

Wilson will be in the conversation, too. But he's probably gonna get penalized because of how good the team around him is. I could see him edging out Luck for 2nd though.

Archived