Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Jerry Jones will always be GM

MrSilverMaC

Jerry Jones, the general manager, will never relinquish that title with the Dallas Cowboys. Much like Jerry Jones, the owner, will never sell the team.

During his twice-weekly radio show, Jones was asked whether he ever would step down as the general manager.

The answer was no way.

"We are not structured that way," Jones told KRLD-FM on Tuesday morning. "We didn't structure it that way with my ownership. There's no way that I would be involved here and not be the final decision maker on something as important as players, and that is a key area. That's never been anybody's misunderstanding. It's been a debated thing, but it's just not going to happen."

More at link.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8600224/jerry-jones-says-always-dallas-cowboys-gm

If only we could find a way to transplant his brain into someone young every so often so he could be their GM for the next 100 years. :D

If somebody could find a way to do it, it would be Jerry.

This made my day. I look forward to 10-15 years of the Cowboys being run like the Raiders of the last decade.

He says that the current heirarchy of his team with him at GM won three SBs. He may have had that name in title when they won those three, but Jimmy Johnson was shopping for the groceries. Jerrah just paid the bill.

Even if he had been the only guy making personnel decisions, which obviously he wasn't, that was 20 years ago. Can you imagine the CEO of any company telling stockholders that he feels everything is fine because their balance sheet was awesome 20 years ago?

Jerry Jones really isnt a bad gm. The cowboys were constantly ranked top 5 talent wise for much of the past 10 years and most of his flops were players and coaches that had a lot of hype around the league ala Jason Garret.

Ummm, if the object of the game was to get rated highly talent wise by ESPN and other media types he would be a great GM. Unfortunately for Dallas fans the object is to win and in that regard he is a terrible GM. Talent is subjective in the NFL. Just because a guy is rated highly coming out of college doesn't mean his skillset fits your system. At the end of the day the guys he gets biggest ability is over-celebrating average plays.

Ummm, if the object of the game was to get rated highly talent wise by ESPN and other media types he would be a great GM. Unfortunately for Dallas fans the object is to win and in that regard he is a terrible GM. Talent is subjective in the NFL. Just because a guy is rated highly coming out of college doesn't mean his skillset fits your system. At the end of the day the guys he gets biggest ability is over-celebrating average plays.

True but I think their lack of success has to do with Romo sits to pee disappearing at the wrong times but being good enough that they felt they needed to stick with him which I cant really blame.

True but I think their lack of success has to do with Romo sits to pee disappearing at the wrong times but being good enough that they felt they needed to stick with him which I cant really blame.

Their problems go so much deeper than Romo sits to pee. When you have to hire babysitters for more than one player you know you have the wrong system for picking players. And Dallas' problems were there well before Romo sits to pee. There is only one constant over the last 17 years and that's Jerrah.

When Jones bought the team, he canned Landry and hired Johnson. The Cowboys success began right there (despite an extremely rocky start). And it ended when Johnson left. That is not a coincidence. The talent evaluator left town and the Cowboys have been stuck in the mud since. Thank you, Jerry. Thank you.

Archived