Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Giants (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Giants

10/21/12

8111475862_d1f4877d01_c.jpg

DEFEAT

Giants 27 - Redskins 23

:helmet:

We're all thinking it, so I'll just go ahead and say it - the Redskins need to bench RGIII this week.

Sure, Griffin is having an electric rookie season. The offense is the most exciting it's been in years, if not decades. And even though the team is only 3-3, with Griffin in at quarterback the 'Skins have had a chance to win every single game. And as his spectacular 76-yard touchdown run last week showed, he can win those games singlehandedly.

But this is the New York Football Giants. Historically, they are 92-64-4 against the Redskins. If Washington is going to win this game, they need to go to the Giant Killer ... "Sexy" Rex Grossman.

The Giants won the Super Bowl last year after getting into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The shocking part was that two of their losses came against the 5-11 Washington Redskins. And who lead those Redskins? Rex Grossman.

While Rex finished last year with just a 72.4 passer rating (which was on pace with his 71.4 career rating), he had an impressive 91.9 rating in his two victories over the Giants. He gave them a false sense of hope by throwing two interceptions and being sacked five times in those two games, but his three touchdowns were more than enough to secure a 28-14 week one victory and an even more impressive 23-10 win in New York late in the season.

We need Rex Grossman in this game. Imagine RGIII, the quarterback of the future, getting a chance to learn from a master technician who clearly has the Giants number. We need Mike Shanahan to pull a Justin Timberlake and - for one week only - bring Rexy back.

Inactives

Redskins

Pierre Garcon

Brandon Meriweather

Rex Grossman

Adam Gettis

David Jones

Josh LeRibeus

Doug Worthington

Giants

Rocky Bernard

James Brewer

Jerrel Jernigan

Adewale Ojomo

Kenny Phillips

Adrien Robinson

Jacquian Williams

11:40 AM - The inactives are out. And just like that, my dreams of seeing Rex Grossman start have died.

1:01 PM - "The Redskins have won the toss and have elected to defer." Ugh.

1:04 PM - DJ Gomes is shaken up on the second kickoff.

1:16 PM - The Giants end up punting on their first possession, which to me is a victory in and of itself.

1:23 PM - An illegal shift penalty negates what would have been a touchdown to Josh Morgan. It's going to be one of those days.

1:30 PM - Griffin is forced to throw it away on third down. A disappointing end to a sustained drive that got the Redskins two yards away from the end zone. They have to settle for a 20-yard field goal from Kai Forbath. 17 plays, 93 yards, nine minutes and 11 seconds. 3-0

1:34 PM - Fred Davis has a left Achilles injury. He is out. That's not good.

END OF FIRST QUARTER

3-0

1:47 PM - Andre Brown with a one-yard touchdown run to put the Giants ahead. Reed Doughty is injured on the play. 12 plays, 80 yards, four minutes and 32 seconds. 3-7

1:53 PM - Reed Doughty has a left knee strain. His return is questionable.

1:56 PM - Good news everyone: Doughty will return.

2:01 PM - The Giants are completely faked out on a quick screen pass to Santana Moss, which nets a 26-yard touchdown. Eight plays, 80 yards, three minutes and 56 seconds. The Redskins are back on top. 10-7

2:11 PM - And just like that, we have a tie ballgame. 10 plays, 63 yards, four minutes and 52 seconds off the clock. Lawrence Tynes connects on a 27-yard field goal. 10-10

2:14 PM - I hold my breath every time RGIII runs the ball.

2:20 PM - After all of those sustained drives early, this one seems incredibly brief and a bit anticlimactic. Kai Forbath connects on a 43-yard field goal. Six plays, 55 yards, two minutes and four seconds off the clock. 13-0

2:22 PM - Keeping the Giants from driving down the field and putting points on the board here would be a huge victory.

2:29 PM - And we are certainly set for a shootout here. After a 39-yard field goal from Lawrence Tynes, the game is tied once again. 10 plays, 59 yards, one minute and 47 seconds. 13-13

HALFTIME

13-13

2:51 PM - Wow, if Eli didn't overthrow him on that one, Victor Cruz is still running.

2:55 PM - Both teams punt to start the half. Apparently halftime adjustments included "play defense."

3:01 PM - The "leg whip" call on Polumbus looks to be an absolutely terrible one. I don't believe in ref conspiracy theories, but that's two costly penalties on the Redskins today that looked rather suspect.

3:06 PM - Josh Wilson with an interception at the Redskins nine to make up for the Alfred Morris fumble. That's a big turnover.

3:11 PM - It's like neither one of these teams wants the ball.

3:13 PM - Today's announced attendance is 81,352.

END OF THIRD QUARTER

13-13

3:21 PM - I didn't see Ahmad Bradshaw break the plane, but apparently the refs did. Either way, RGIII's ill-advised interception ends up being costly. Seven plays, 35 yards, three minutes and 47 seconds. 13-20

3:33 PM - Looked like Griffin's knee might have been down on that fumble.

3:36 PM - Apparently Eli thought it was a fumble and wanted to give the Redskins the ball back ... out of fairness.

3:40 PM - Such a bizarre series of events there. Two successful fourth down conversions, then a RGIII fumble, then Eli Manning turns the ball over on fourth down. The Redskin walk away with three. Four plays, five yards, one minute and 40 seconds. 16-20

3:50 PM - Evan Royster was open underneath, but Griffin decided to take a shot downfield for the touchdown on third down.

3:51 PM - Apparently the Redskins should skip third down and just go straight to fourth. Three-for-three on the day.

3:56 PM - Santana Moss! A beautiful pass by RGIII connects for a 30-yard touchdown. Moss' second touchdown on the day. That was a fun (and terrifying) drive. Seven plays, 77 yards, one minute and 27 seconds.23-20

4:00 PM - The weird thing? I feel better about the Giants scoring so quickly. Gives RGIII time to win this thing one more time. Two plays, 77 yards, 19 seconds. Manning to Cruz, 77 yard touchdown pass. 23-27

4:04 PM - And the game is sealed, fittingly, with another Redskins turnover. Definitely the story of the day.

PHOTOS

8111475312_a00cf943a3_c.jpg

To see ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Barry Cofield click HERE

To listen to comments from Rex Grossman click HERE

To listen to comments from Rob Jackson click HERE

To listen to comments from Josh Wilson click HERE

To listen to comments from Kory Lichtensteiger click HERE

To listen to comments from Alfred Morris click HERE

To listen to comments from Santana Moss click HERE

To listen to comments from Madieu Williams click HERE

To listen to comments from Trent Williams click HERE

To listen to comments from Darrel Young click HERE

MY TAKE

As a player or as a fan, you are never satisfied with a loss. But as far as losses go, I think this one doesn't sting as bad as most.

Sure, the Redskins gave the Giants their first win in the division. And the 'Skins had victory within their hands, only to have it snatched away by a devastating 77-yard bullet from Eli Manning to Victor Cruz, that happened just two plays after Robert Griffin III and Santana Moss gave the Redskins a three-point lead.

But it's just hard to feel too down, especially after seeing RGIII add another amazing moment to his highlight reel with an insane pass on fourth down to give his team a chance to win. This guy is just plain fun to watch. He's a game changer. And he's something the Redskins haven't had in decades - a true franchise quarterback.

Now, if only they had a strong defense once again, they'd truly be scary. But if you accept that this is still a rebuilding year and that inevitably Mike Shanahan will do what he did in Denver - toss aside his current defensive coordinator for the next one available - you can be incredibly optimistic about the future of this franchise. This year, the Redskins may be lucky to go 8-8. But next year and for the foreseeable future, they could be quite a contender.

Just look at all of the things the team did well. They had 248 rushing yards, the most they've had on the ground since November 4, 2007 against the New York Jets. The 'Skins average 177.7 yards per game. They have the most rushing yards of any team in the first seven games since the 1970 merger. They had 480 yards of total offense, the most since October 1, 2006 against Jacksonville.

Alfred Morris had a career-high 120 yards on 22 carries. He has 658 rushing yards on the season, the most in the NFC and only one yard shy of Arian Foster, who leads the AFC. This was his third 100-yard rushing game of his (brief) career.

And the sainted Robert Griffin III went 20-for-28 with 258 yards and two touchdowns. That's in addition to his 89 rushing yards on nine carries.

So the Giants may have won the battle, but the Redskins certainly seemed to be poised to win the war. The future is brighter than ever in Washington. So chin up, Redskins fans, good things are on the horizon.

And even the loss of Fred Davis, which is certainly a devastating one, has a silver lining to it. We may finally get a chance to see fan favorite Chris Cooley return to the team and catch passes from RGIII. It may not completely make up for the loss of Fred, but it's certainly a fun development going forward.

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2012 Redskins vs Giants

10/21/12

We're all thinking it, so I'll just go ahead and say it - the Redskins need to bench RGIII this week.

But this is the New York Football Giants. Historically, they are 92-64-4 against the Redskins. If Washington is going to win this game, they need to go to the Giant Killer ... "Sexy" Rex Grossman.

The Giants won the Super Bowl last year after getting into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The shocking part was that two of their losses came against the 5-11 Washington Redskins. And who lead those Redskins? Rex Grossman.

bring Rexy back.

Can you imagine how much damage Rexy could do with this improved offensive line and some decent receivers? the Giants wouldn't have a chance :)

I want this game more than I've wanted any other game in the last 21 years since we beat the Bills for number 3. I don't even care if we go into the bye at 4-5 so long as the '4' comes today.

I've not been this hyper for a game in eons. It feels like my youth again.

GO REDSKINS! Answer that gutless, underhand, cheating colluding **** Mara by hitting him where it hurts most. On the actual field of play.

4-3 and a division tying lead coming up baby!

Hail.

do you really think our oline has improved. I'd say it's about 95% due to rg3. We still have yet to face the premier pass rushers in the NFC east.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/redskins-offensive-line-holding-steady

I'm sure that RGIII's mobility has a lot to do with it, also that he gets the ball out a lot faster than "Sexy Rexy" but I do think its improved over last year, remember that last year we were plugging in guys from off the street due to all the injuries.

Whatever it takes to win this game!!! I'm listening to 660 wfan here in ny and that fat f*** mike Francesca is giving me a headache!!! Such a homer !!! Him and bob papa r horrible! And papa is Hellenic! What a joke! Anyway let's beat them down!!!!!! D has to step up!!!

Time to make some RG3 magic and shrink some giants

just reading GHH's posts when he's particularly animated with font and colors makes me glad I don't have hangovers. :ols:

:giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck::giantsuck:

the Giants are so ****y and are not taking RG3 seriously, they just said on ESPN, that they have the blueprint to stop RG3 for the NFL, are they kidding me, they have no idea what they are about to be hit with, no idea

You have no idea my friend. It's worse when you hear all there fans call wfan 660 and Espn here in the big apple. If you remember rolle blabbing last year... Ya it like that non stop. I get it I'm n ny but let's be real here be unbiased and be a football fan not ignorant idiots!

the Giants are so ****y and are not taking RG3 seriously, they just said on ESPN, that they have the blueprint to stop RG3 for the NFL, are they kidding me, they have no idea what they are about to be hit with, no idea

and last year they said they could beat us 99 out of 100 games too.:ols:

I don't want to be greedy, but 2-3 wins v NYG isn't enough. I want to see dominance of the Giants. From the Capgate and the Mara/Goodell lovefest, Mara's comments afterwards, Osi/JPP and their big mouths and so on, I want this to be a statement game by us.

We need to show them, and the league, that we will not be an easy win anymore.

Get ya popcorn ready! I love me some RGIII!

HTTR

I'll gladly take RG's first "rookie game" next week if we can get a win this week.

Absolutely the biggest game of the year so far, and it could set the tone for the rest of the season. Hopefully, if we lose, ExtremeSkins doesn't blow up and start talking about firing Shanahan and bringing in someone else. STAY MEDIUM PEOPLE!

Seriously though, let's kick their bleeping asses today. TRENT I'm gonna have my eye on you today. I want him to light up that DL.

And I do not want to see Cruz do his stupid ass salsa dance and hear the announcers saying "OMG ITS SALSA TIME HAHAHA GREAT!!" Forgot that crap, blow 'em out, kick their asses. I wanna hear Rolle or whoever it was last year repeating his statement - "We might have lost, but we're still the better team."

Let's make a statement!!

Every time I see a play I don't like, I'm going to cue up a nude scene of Rooney Mara, John Mara's niece, from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Feel free to play along at home.

Interestingly, it's the male John I associate with the words "****" (c-word) and "douchebag." And when I say "**** Mara" to John, I mean something hostile, whereas when applied to Rooney, it's friendly. :D

Archived