Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manhattan Bar/Restaurant Recommendations

Special K

Spending next weekend in NYC with my little sister and her boyfriend and was wondering if any of you guys have must-hit restaurants or bars we should include on our list. None of us have been there before, but we don't really want to do the whole "touristy" thing...at least as far as restaurants and night-time bar hopping goes. :)

We don't really have a price range we need to stay in and any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks everyone!

Spending next weekend in NYC with my little sister and her boyfriend and was wondering if any of you guys have must-hit restaurants or bars we should include on our list. None of us have been there before, but we don't really want to do the whole "touristy" thing...at least as far as restaurants and night-time bar hopping goes. :)

We don't really have a price range we need to stay in and any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks everyone!

Fat Black ****cat, Zinc Bar, and Lemongrass Grill are some of my fav's. They're all in the village though, which is a pretty fun/eclectic area. All depends on what kind of atmosphere you want.

[/color]My wife & I like this place:

Trattoria Dell'Arte

900 Seventh Avenue between

56th and 57th Streets

www.trattoriadellarte.com

It's a mid-priced bistro. Nice bar with a terrific fresh Antipasto bar. Glass of wine at the bar, pick your antipasto options, sit back and enjoy.

Depending on the part of Manhattan, you will have many, many food options. Find a deli with a line out the door at lunchtime, get in line and be prepared for an awesome deli sandwich. Most are so big they can be shared by 2 people. If you go to the famous Katz deli, 1 corned beef sandwich might feed your whole family. Like Chinese? Go to Chinatown around noon and follow the same advice: find the restaurant with a long line, wait to get real Chinese food ("Seinfeld pawty faw'?")

For a wild night out, try this place. I haven't been there in years, but it was well worth the entrance fee. Each floor has a different vibe & with different type of music. Safest place I've ever been with a great mix of different kinds/types of people ages 19-80.

Webster Hall

125 East 11th Street

New York, NY 10003

Here's a blurb from their website:

Webster Hall is the biggest nightclub in New York City. Open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, Webster Hall is located in the heart of NYC's famous East Village. With 4 floors and 5 unique environments, Webster Hall specializes in the best party music in the World. House music, electro, hip hop, rock, dubstep, pop, top 40 and more. With huge dance floors, VIP areas, lounge spaces and live entertainment, Webster Hall is the best club in NYC. 19+ to enter.

What kind of stuff/places are you into? Manhattan to me is nothing but fratboy spots or pertinacious as hell. However when I am in Manhattan, the east Village or lower east side would be my go to areas.

What kind of food do you all want to try? You can never go wrong with Katz, even if it's a "touristy" kind of spot.

Not to rain on Go Skins parade, but AVOID Webster Hall - especially if you want to avoid the "touristy" thing like you said in your OP.

Check this site for some cool things to do/eat

http://www.timeout.com/newyork

Dude...you're not raining on my parade. I've had tons of fun at Webster Hall over the years. It's been about 10 years since I've been there. But the pictures on the website look the same from what I remember. It never felt 'touristy' to me. It was always a wild mix of people and music to meet anyone's taste.

Dude...you're not raining on my parade. I've had tons of fun at Webster Hall over the years. It's been about 10 years since I've been there. But the pictures on the website look the same from what I remember. It never felt 'touristy' to me. It was always a wild mix of people and music to meet anyone's taste.

It has gotten worse over the years, I was there last weekend for a concert in the basement, after it was over I went up stairs and was planning on staying to party for the night but after seeing the crowd I left lol. Still a fun club though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to look everything up this weekend. I really appreciate all your input! :)

What kind of stuff/places are you into? Manhattan to me is nothing but fratboy spots or pertinacious as hell. However when I am in Manhattan, the east Village or lower east side would be my go to areas.

What kind of food do you all want to try? You can never go wrong with Katz, even if it's a "touristy" kind of spot.

I would like to hit up a good Cuban restaurant (thanks SHF), Lebanese restaurant, Peruvian or South American restaurant, and/or Indian restaurant. Probably during the day we'll eat at bistros or cafes, and in the evening, do more ethnic restaurants. Also, good breakfast/brunch places.

We would like to spend our nights bar hopping (there goes my resolution not to drink the entire month of October, haha), but none of us are really "uppity" people and we're not really looking for dance club-type bars. I'm looking for nice sports bars, wine bars, and bars that are fun and sophisticated, but more on the chill side. Also, we're not into places that attract the really young crowd as we're not really into the fratboy atmosphere.

if you want to watch a Redskins game, go to Dorrians Red Hand on the upper east side... much bigger than Redemption... all Redskins fans and they only play the Skins... if you want good Thai food, with no tourists, go to Pongrisi on Baxter and Bayard...the best Littile Italy Italian with no tourists is Ballato's on Houston between Mott and Mulberry... Katz's Deli on Houston st. is always a good lunchtime place for the best pastrami in NYC... there's also a terrific and very inexpensive Italian joint called Bianca on Bleecker St btw Bowery and Elizabeth... PM me if you want more recommendations.

Really good and fun as hell Indian spot at 93 1st Avenue, 1st ave and 6th st. There are a ton of Indian places there and at that address there are 3 or 4, you want one of the really colorful ones, but make sure to go to the one upstairs and to the left, they all look the same and will try and get you in, but they are actually different places, the one on the top left is the best, it's been there for ages too.

if you want to watch a Redskins game, go to Dorrians Red Hand on the upper east side... much bigger than Redemption... all Redskins fans and they only play the Skins... if you want good Thai food, with no tourists, go to Pongrisi on Baxter and Bayard...the best Littile Italy Italian with no tourists is Ballato's on Houston between Mott and Mulberry... Katz's Deli on Houston st. is always a good lunchtime place for the best pastrami in NYC... there's also a terrific and very inexpensive Italian joint called Bianca on Bleecker St btw Bowery and Elizabeth... PM me if you want more recommendations.

Agreed with all the above. For cuban in soho though I'd suggest Cafe Habana over Cuba. Also, second avenue deli does a pretty darn good pastrami that compares with katz's, and a little less traditionally there's mile end right between the east and middle villages.

I'd also say that my number one favorite place in the city is the bar rom at the modern for dinner. You can get good steaks anywhere, so there's really no reason to get that when you come to NYC. It's a casual atmosphere but still some of the best food in the city ( the key is to go to the bar room which almost always has reservations free day of and is a little more chill than the modern dining room with almost identical food ). Amazing wine list if you're into that. And when else are you going to eat Alsatian food?

Thanks for all the inside info you New Yorkers :) I'm excited about craming as many of these places into our trip as possible!

Do you want to drink, pound beers at a bar, or dance ?

Yeah, not really into dancing with my sister and her bf on this trip. :ols: We're more into chill places with a good (not crazy) atmosphere where we can have some good martinis or wine and chat.

Yeah, not really into dancing with my sister and her bf on this trip. :ols: We're more into chill places with a good (not crazy) atmosphere where we can have some good martinis or wine and chat.

I've been going to this place for years. http://www.flutebar.com/ . I go to the Midtown location (It's right near the Ed Sullivan/David Letterman theater) , it's super chill, they serve lots of different tapas, it's a little pricey, but everything in NYC is.

PJ Clarke's. Great burgers and great atmosphere.

Good call. Fun place.

If you want to go out for an incredible steak and feel like you just walked into a scene from "Goodfellas" check out Sparks Steakhouse. The service, atmosphere, and food are fantastic.

Archived