Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: White-pride organization proposed at Towson University

terpskins10

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-09-07/news/bs-md-co-white-student-union-20120907_1_white-student-union-white-identity-matthew-heimbach

Matthew Heimbach, a senior U.S. history major, is leading the effort to create a White Student Union. His former group, Youth for Western Civilization, had sparked controversy with its public displays against Islam, same-sex marriage and multicultural education.

I totally understand the idea that people feel like if other races can have groups, then whites should also. However, given the state of our country's history and the fact that this kid is a certified right wing loony, who thinks any good can come of this? lol

Thoughts?

:munchout:

I have no issue with it, unless it's done stupidly. So as long as they keep 90% of the people from joining it who want to, it should be ok.

My problem is that he already had a group disbanned because of the anti-islam and anti-gay stuff. Sure I have no problem with an all-white group, but don't do it for stupid reasons.

I have no issue with it, unless it's done stupidly. So as long as they keep 90% of the people from joining it who want to, it should be ok.

Theoretically, I do see the arguments in favor of it.

However, here are some choice tweets from this guy's twitter page, AFTER he had a group disbanned for what amounted to hate speech.

Every time i see the pagan mormon temple i pray that one day someone will destroy it. Then i smile when i remember that one day jesus will
A group of pro sodomite jack***es plastered my car with pro gay marriage stickers. I guess i got under their skin. Mission accomplished
Eating my delicious chick fil a meal in a total packed house. I hope every cent of my meal goes towards stopping the homosexual agenda

I'm SURE all this kid wants is equality for all. That's EXACTLY what he wants. :rolleyes:

And yes, Jumbo, I do realize you were being facetious in your post, lol

*edit* Okay, the more I look at this guy's page the more I want to vomit. A picture he posted:

AyTIeKJCMAAmxrm.jpg

This is disgusting. Seriously disgusting.

Somebody needs to force Heimbach to bite the curb.

"Victor Collins, the university's assistant vice president of student affairs for diversity, said he believes Heimbach's group should be treated like other campus groups as long as its members meet the requirements and obey Towson's rules."

I guess the assistant VP should to. God, the nerve, equal treatment.

h_h, do you honestly feel like it is a good idea for someone who holds up a confederate flag in front of an MLK church and posts of a picture of it to the internet to have a white student union group under his leadership? Not whether he has the right to (since obviously he does) but do you feel it is a good idea?

"Youth for Western Civilization" :ols::ols::ols::ols:

I don't remember hearing about this guy before, but what a maroon. :pfft:

Going beyond the question of whether its legal/constitutional to try to disallow his group (it's not in my opinion), the problem here is that this guy is most likely not a "maroon." In fact, in all likelihood he knows exactly what he is doing and what his goals are. He's college educated, appears relatively fearless, has garnered media attention, is well prepared to spread his message. He may well serve as a magnet for other maroons, which is what he most likely wants.

h_h, do you honestly feel like it is a good idea for someone who holds up a confederate flag in front of an MLK church and posts of a picture of it to the internet to have a white student union group under his leadership? Not whether he has the right to (since obviously he does) but do you feel it is a good idea?

This kid? Nope. Do I think he has a right to say what he wants to? Absolutely. Do I think we should view "normal" white student groups the way we do any other group? Sure.

This is the wrong kid. But I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of a white student group.

"Victor Collins, the university's assistant vice president of student affairs for diversity, said he believes Heimbach's group should be treated like other campus groups as long as its members meet the requirements and obey Towson's rules."

How does your brain get to that? Oh, yeah. Never mind.

Let me help you with the difference KG (and others) would see between the two that you're missing (cuz I'm so smart I can read KG's mind :pfft:)---the VC is being perfectly reasonable (and doing his job as well) and added the appropriate qualifiers. No one is going to just "ban" the guy from starting a group right off the bat. ---and he's right.

KG is saying the other guy is a just a total douche, period.

HH, I have long noticed you often struggle with getting issues of equality and stupid confused. :)

This kid? Nope. Do I think he has a right to say what he wants to? Absolutely. Do I think we should view "normal" white student groups the way we do any other group? Sure.

This is the wrong kid. But I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of a white student group.

Fair enough. I tend to agree. If we minorities are allowed to form groups to ask for equality, I can see the hypocrisy if white groups aren't allowed. And obviously I do think this kid is out to lunch and shouldn't be in any sort of leadership position, ever.

However, I have my doubts that a white student union can ever be truly accepted/executed properly. At this point in time, I don't believe it is a good idea to have one nor do I think most rational thinking white students would believe it would be a good idea to open that can of worms.

Hopefully, sometime in the future, we can have unions like this when hatred and racism are truly dead. Until that happens though (and I don't necessarily feel this way), any sort of group exclusively for white students will ultimately be seen in a negative light.

I'll stop miles, and I mean MILES, short of using the word "oppression." That would be utterly ludicrous. Even I, in my Jumbo-stamped complete lack of common sense can understand that.

But you tell me who needs a student group.

Group A, who has a field of study based on its race, and prefence on admittance and scholarship, not to mention race-specific colleges...

or...

Group B, who has none of that?

Going beyond the question of whether its legal/constitutional to try to disallow his group (it's not in my opinion), the problem here is that this guy is most likely not a "maroon." In fact, in all likelihood he knows exactly what he is doing and what his goals are. He's college educated, appears relatively fearless, has garnered media attention, is well prepared to spread his message. He may well serve as a magnet for other maroons, which is what he most likely wants.

I'm sure he's not a literal imbecile based on his academic situation. :) I was speaking of him as a human. As for as his Machiavellian potential, eh. He does not seem smart enough to be a master manipulator (even at superficial assessment) to achieve too much there---but I guess I should never underestimate who some folk(like the GOP to use a good example) may make a champion, so maybe he does have a future.

Perhaps part of the problem people have with this group is that it's this kid.

This is a little nazi in the making.

I'm all for full and equal rights.

I'm also for common sense.

this person is the sort that takes the rights you and i enjoy and understand, and twists them knowing he can hide behind them. This is the sort of cancer that grows by feeding off of the rights it abuses.

~Bang

The kid is an attention whore looking to use hate speech to get everyone riled up. Like you, I could agree with the idea white pride group but I wouldn't agree with helping this particular ****head in his attempt to organize it.

The kid is an attention whore looking to use hate speech to get everyone riled up. Even if I agree with the idea white pride group I wouldn't agree with helping this particular ****head in his attempt to organize it.

I agree with that entirely.

Even I, in my Jumbo-stamped complete lack of common sense can understand that.

Actually, I didn't stamp you that, but I accept your self-identification (though I marginally disgaree). :)

If you wanted to use it, though, my "eternally insecure and attention needy" phrase is also available at no fee. :pfft:

I think the reason this will go down is due to the stooge at the wheel.

Side note---when it comes to being non-PC, right after my "Canada: The Retarded Giant on Our Doorstep" paper that I wrote in 7th grade, my follow-up was "Famous White People in American History: Business, Arts, and Government." It was just reading the categories and then an endless list of names to the teacher's intense discomfort. I stole it from a National Lampoon magazine spoof.

Archived