Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twitter @jayglazer: NFL suspends Tanard Jackson...

flexxskins

Maybe we shouldn't have wasted our time on this Jackson loser for one. Maybe we should've tried to find a safety that wasn't at risk of being suspended indefinitely for being an *******. There's a good start.

The safety market was/is deader than dirt. None of the safeties on the market were worth much; they may have not gotten suspended, but they still mostly sucked. The good safeties that were available all got re-signed by their teams, leaving the market shallow, even more so with us because of the cap hit.

The safety market was/is deader than dirt. None of the safeties on the market were worth much; they may have not gotten suspended, but they still mostly sucked. The good safeties that were available all got re-signed by their teams, leaving the market shallow, even more so with us because of the cap hit.

Yeah, so many got franchise tagged right out of the gate. It was really annoying watching all the good options disappear like that. Not that we could have thrown tons of money at any of them anyway, but still.

Maybe we shouldn't have wasted our time on this Jackson loser for one. Maybe we should've tried to find a safety that wasn't at risk of being suspended indefinitely for being an *******. There's a good start.

Ah, so who would you have suggested, since there were so many options available to us?

So we'll get rid of one of the better TEs in the league to get a better secondary? What sense does that make?

Madden sense.

---------- Post added September-1st-2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

Secondary doesn't need a complete overhaul. We need a corner and a safety. Really depends on how Meriweather and Griffin do. I've got high hopes for Meriweather. Cedric...not so much...

So we'll get rid of one of the better TEs in the league to get a better secondary? What sense does that make?

Well Fred Davis isn't one of the better tight ends in the league yet and getting a big time CB is more important than a TE when your building a team for the long haul and your short of cap space. There is an ass load of good TE's in the NFL now because of the big athletic players coming into the league, its not like it used to be when there was only a few good TE's playing.

What a waste. Yet another year with safety a huge question mark. A far cry from where we should be. Our defense is going to be feast or famine, with the d-line and linebackers feasting while secondary will most likely be hot garbage.

I've been saying to everyone our weakest point on the team has been the secondary, not the o-line. now it's gotten even worse...

Our 2nd round pick this coming draft has to be a CB or safety

Madden sense.

---------- Post added September-1st-2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

Secondary doesn't need a complete overhaul. We need a corner and a safety. Really depends on how Meriweather and Griffin do. I've got high hopes for Meriweather. Cedric...not so much...

You have no idea if Wilson is going to pan out, its not like he was a world beater last year and Hall is on his last leg, either your watching a different secondary or your hopes are not the only thing that is high.

You have no idea if Wilson is going to pan out, its not like he was a world beater last year and Hall is on his last leg, either your watching a different secondary or your hopes are not the only thing that is high.

*rolls eyes*

Wilson was our best corner by a country mile, and D-Hall isn't as bad as everyone swears he is. People in panic mode need to chill.

Well Fred Davis isn't one of the better tight ends in the league yet and getting a big time CB is more important than a TE when your building a team for the long haul and your short of cap space. There is an ass load of good TE's in the NFL now because of the big athletic players coming into the league, its not like it used to be when there was only a few good TE's playing.

He's a top-5 TE in the league. Gronk, Jimmy Graham, and Vernon Davis are definitely better, but he's right there after those three. TEs of his caliber are arguably more important that CBs, because they are able to create those matchup problems that defenses struggle with.

Wow, first I obviously missed that, second, just 1 game?

So Tanard gets a year long suspension for grass, Britt gets arrested 17 times to the point it's a running joke here in TN, but only gets 1 game. Smh. I hate this "at the commissioner's discretion" crap. Drug suspensions should vary based on the drug, and other offenses should have set suspension amounts as well.

In this case its not at the commissioners discretion. Its in the CBA. This failed test results in an indefinite suspension.

He's a top-5 TE in the league. Gronk, Jimmy Graham, and Vernon Davis are definitely better, but he's right there after those three. TEs of his caliber are arguably more important that CBs, because they are able to create those matchup problems that defenses struggle with.

Davis was ranked 12th in yds and receptions and 23 in TD's and has not been a game changer that can takeover and carry his team, I dont think there is a GM in the league that would take Gronkowski over Revis if they were building a team and needed to fill both positions.

Plus he's an idiot, seriously who uses the word "flatulence" when meaning to say "fraudulence" in a court of law.

Davis was ranked 12th in yds and receptions and 23 in TD's and has not been a game changer that can takeover and carry his team, I dont think there is a GM in the league that would take Gronkowski over Revis if they were building a team and needed to fill both positions.

Actually, he was 8th in yards and receptions and 23rd in TDs...in only 12 games.

8th in yardage. Only behind Gronk and Graham when he was suspended. ~130 yards behind Gronk, ~300 behind Graham. He was ahead of Witten, Vernon Davis (had more yards in 12 than Vernon had in 16), Brandon Pettigrew (ditto), Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Hernandez, Brent Celek, and Dustin Keller. More yards than Jermichael Finley, Anthony Fasano, Antonio Gates, Owen Daniels, and Jermaine Gresham.

Plus he's an idiot, seriously who uses the word "flatulence" when meaning to say "fraudulence" in a court of law.

No one ever claimed he was eloquent. He's a football player, not a lawyer or a public speaker. But I guess we need to get rid of him because he can't argue a case, right? :doh:

Have you listened to NFL players? There are very few who are actually well-spoken, and most of them are QBs. But I guess if they aren't good speakers, then they're obviously not good football players, huh? :rolleyes:

Fred Davis was easily a top 5 TE through 12 games last year. The only reason ESPN ranked him as #9 is because of A) suspension, and B) lack of TDs.

The first shouldn't be an issue, the latter is more concerning, but not that scary honestly. We struggled in the redzone all the time before, it wasn't just Davis. Highest # of TDs on the team was 5 with Gaffney, and we only had 19 total passing TDs.

This year we should have more than that. Davis might not hit 10 TDs, but if you look back at 2009, he hauled in 6 TDs that year, while we only had 21 thrown.

Anyways, long story short, Davis is easily a top 10 TE, and probably a top 5 TE. Most people don't listen, but the guy had better stats in 12 games than Vernon Davis had in 16. And our QBs were worse than Smith *yuck*.

Davis is not going anywhere UNLESS he gets caught for drugs again. And if that happens, we have bigger issues.

Like NLC said, we lack a CB and a FS, and probably more FS than CB. Add one good, consistently healthy FS, and the secondary suddenly looks a lot better than before.

Actually, he was 8th in yards and receptions and 23rd in TDs...in only 12 games.

8th in yardage. Only behind Gronk and Graham when he was suspended. ~130 yards behind Gronk, ~300 behind Graham. He was ahead of Witten, Vernon Davis (had more yards in 12 than Vernon had in 16), Brandon Pettigrew (ditto), Tony Gonzalez, Aaron Hernandez, Brent Celek, and Dustin Keller. More yards than Jermichael Finley, Anthony Fasano, Antonio Gates, Owen Daniels, and Jermaine Gresham.

No one ever claimed he was eloquent. He's a football player, not a lawyer or a public speaker. But I guess we need to get rid of him because he can't argue a case, right? :doh:

Have you listened to NFL players? There are very few who are actually well-spoken, and most of them are QBs. But I guess if they aren't good speakers, then they're obviously not good football players, huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have been listening to them for almost 30 years and saying that most are not good speakers besides QB's kind of puts me in a position where I can no longer debate with you without insulting you and I'm getting to old for that.

I'm not saying Fred Davis isn't good but I think its debatable whether you spend 5+ million a year on a TE when you may be cash strapped and in need of an impact player in the secondary. I dont think its a clear no brainer come next year.

Yeah, I have been listening to them for almost 30 years and saying that most are not good speakers besides QB's kind of puts me in a position where I can no longer debate with you without insulting you and I'm getting to old for that.

There's a difference between not being well-spoken and not being a good speaker. Yeah, they can give interviews. But name me a football player who you would be comfortable with speaking for you in court. And then tell me if that has anything at all to do with their ability to perform on the field.

I'm not saying Fred Davis isn't good but I think its debatable whether you spend 5+ million a year on a TE when you may be cash strapped and in need of an impact player in the secondary. I dont think its a clear no brainer come next year.

As per your Gronk vs Revis remark...Gronk led the league in TDs and helped lead his team to the Super Bowl. Revis got his team where exactly?With the NFL the way it is these days, having a difference maker at TE is more important than having a shutdown corner. The TE causes problems for the entire defense; the CB takes one receiver away from offenses who now put out three or four viable threats.

What perfect timing. Naturally, the Giants had nothing to do with this. /sarcasm

Alas, another year in which free safety play will be mediocre at best. However, the guys at the top should not throw the baby out of the bathwater and pay the best free agent free safety more than what the Giants gave Antrel Rolle.

To be fair though, we'll only have "mediocre" FS play (by our standard) for the foreseeable future. Until there are fans who haven't seen Sean Taylor play, just about any player who we have back there will be "mediocre".

To be fair though, we'll only have "mediocre" FS play (by our standard) for the foreseeable future. Until there are fans who haven't seen Sean Taylor play, just about any player who we have back there will be "mediocre".

Mediocre is a very generous label if we're talking about Reed Doughty. ;)

Also, I am indeed a person who did not see Sean Taylor play. From the end of Spurrier to 2008, Week 4, I did not watch much football at all. My fandom energy was directed towards...other media.

Archived