Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pro football focus visits skins camp

Hooper

Which Redskins linebacker do you like better, Orakpo or Kerrigan?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which Redskins linebacker do you like better, Orakpo or Kerrigan?

• Brian Orakpo
    • Ryan Kerrigan

It's a great site with great reporters. Objective as can be. And they say it was only one day of practice right up front so best not to make too many judgements.

At the same time, by all reports, it's not like RG3 has only had one practice where he has struggled more than not. But that's to be expected -- the guy is a rookie coming from a system that didn't ask him to do many things he needs to do in the NFL.

They seemed more perturbed about the road trip than anything. If the article is a snapshot of a practice what does King's snub of a 1-on-1 interview have to do w/ anything? I'm perfectly fine w/ RGIII's in camp struggles. I'd be really nervous if he came in and lit up our #1 D. Besides, if you've been paying attention then you know they've been throwing the kitchen sink at him everyday.

This is actually what I expect from Griffin right now.... right now we (redskins nation) are peeing ourselves at the thought that RGIII is just going to come in and fire laser touchdowns every other play.

That is not going to happen!

Griffin was selected because of his high ceiling and the fact that he may ultimately be better than Luck. Luck was selected by the colts because he was pro-ready. In the end I do believe that griffin will be the greater qb, however, it will take him some time to get there (particularly with some glaring weaknesses at OL we have).

All in all, don't get down from any negative reports or even his performance this year... This year we just want him to get NFL experience, and my hope is maybe to sniff 8-8 (my high hopes) maybe next year with some experience with reading nfl defenses and a full year with his receivers and hopefully the addition of some good o-lineman we can start thinking about better performances and potentially a wildcard.

Just my 2 cents...

I like what olejoe and pez posted. And I am unfamiliar with the site. But I took it different than most of you guys so far. It seemed like a solid enough write-up to me. It read objective and aligned with what I've been hearing even under the umbrella of it just being one practice. I had zero beef with it.

Per the "bashing the 'skins" meme.

You can't have been making accurate unbiased sports commentary about the 'skins and have any shortage of consistent "yuck", because that's been the nature of the team far more than not, in almost every way shape and form for years. Now I regard "bashing" as most often used in these venues as the more gratuitous or off-target types of criticism as compared to the accurate criticisms. And that kind of "bashing" is always stupid and worthy of ridicule even if the team is sucky.

I don't expect even writers striving for accuracy and honesty to coddle or make context that's more comforting, or more negatively critical for some effect for that matter, than simply what they observe in such situations. If they attend one practice and report what they see fairly and then characterize what they saw--within reason, obviously--that's fine. Not every commentator should be expected to provide some large-scale contenxt to every simple piece they're writing (as in such a visit). And that's how I read this piece.

Maybe the site sucks, I don't know. But I do know Hooper's hardly some clueless fan. I'll check it out.

They should also never write anything that even remotely resembles a conclusion if their only data comes from a single practice. Sure, they can and should report what they see, but leave it at that. Or, hey, maybe do a little research and see how individual players and the team as a whole have apparently looked in all the other practices you did not see. And I'd say this even if PFF showed up on the best practice in Redskins' history. I mean, all of us have been following each and every practice, sometimes hearing about each and every pass thrown, who it was thrown to, whether it was on target or not, etc, etc, and we still remind ourselves and each other that no conclusions of any kind should be reached yet...PFF should have done the same in their write-up.

Here's a better way to write the sentence I quoted above:

It looks like to me, you've drawn two conclusions (ability is there and he's not finished article) and have a disclaimer that is not really connected to anything.

Where they've drawn one conclusion (ability is there) and have a pretty strong disclaimer to the 2nd (not a finished article).

It looks like to me, you've drawn two conclusions (ability is there and he's not finished article) and have a disclaimer that is not really connected to anything.

Where they've drawn one conclusion (ability is there) and have a pretty strong disclaimer to the 2nd (not a finished article).

1) I didn't draw any conclusions, I was restating their conclusions in a more appropriate manner.

2) They didn't have a "strong disclaimer" for saying he's not a finished article...it was actually a rather weak one ("If you can draw a conclusion from 1 practice, this is the conclusion we'd reach" is watered-down)...The way I wrote it would have been a strong disclaimer (You can NOT draw a conclusion from 1 practice. Still, you can tell he's not finished developing yet.)

PPF is one of the better sites out there. Griff is being challenged more than most rookies or #1 qbs for that matter (no 7 on 7 drills, going against 1st team defences, Haslett throwing the kitchen sink at him, ect). And the reports coming out seem to echo the same thing, RGIII has been up and down, and it seems it was a rougher day than usual. I dont have a problem with the write up. It was one day that was not RGIII's best and the defence has been going after him hard.

This is actually what I expect from Griffin right now.... right now we (redskins nation) are peeing ourselves at the thought that RGIII is just going to come in and fire laser touchdowns every other play.

That is not going to happen!

Griffin was selected because of his high ceiling and the fact that he may ultimately be better than Luck. Luck was selected by the colts because he was pro-ready. In the end I do believe that griffin will be the greater qb, however, it will take him some time to get there (particularly with some glaring weaknesses at OL we have).

All in all, don't get down from any negative reports or even his performance this year... This year we just want him to get NFL experience, and my hope is maybe to sniff 8-8 (my high hopes) maybe next year with some experience with reading nfl defenses and a full year with his receivers and hopefully the addition of some good o-lineman we can start thinking about better performances and potentially a wildcard.

Just my 2 cents...

Yep...I'm excited about the next 16 years (give or take), not the next 16 games. If Griffin shows promise and improves throughout the season, I'll be thrilled regardless of our W/L record. We have an opportunity to build around our ridiculously young offensive skill position players at a normal, natural pace for once. I'm going to enjoy it and be entertained by the process. Griffin, Helu, Royster, Young, Davis, Paul, Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan, and Banks could all be here for YEARS to come. They will almost certainly not hit the ground running in New Orleans in a month or so...but they should evolve into a dynamic offense.

Archived