Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo/AP: Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes

Larry

Enough on the voter ID laws though. Those are old news. Should we use this thread to discuss the AJA report on the massive voter roll purge, also targeting minorities? 

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/double-voters/

Or maybe it would be appropriate to start a new thread for that one...

Now there's an interesting article.

Lots of bombastic, over-inflated claims, at the beginning. But they do actually provide some support, after the break.

How many people actually can't go get an ID?   I suspect the number is fairly small.  There are ways to assist in this process but it would mean that you want to actually do this. 

Do you have the memory of a goldfish? This whole thread has been a discussion about how many people actually don't have IDs and how difficult it actually is to get one.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/

Those I will admit that it could have increased in '13/'14 - but I have not seen new updated numbers from Pew.

I saw this article earlier.

I do agree that one of the problems that compounds the difficulty surrounding this issue is that there is very little current data showing actual numbers.  

Do you have the memory of a goldfish? This whole thread has been a discussion about how many people actually don't have IDs and how difficult it actually is to get one.

Lkb, how are you today?

Spanish in the U.S. and Spanish spoken in Mexico is different.   You can easily tell people who are Mexican and those who are born and raised here locally.   It's really not hard if you understand the language. 

You have to be ****ing kidding me?

I worked with an Irish woman five years ago. She didn't speak English precisely the way I did.  Was she an illegal?

We have no argument over US Citizens being allowed to vote.   Obviously, they should.

Yes, apparently we do. Because you keep insisting that we need to make things more difficult for them. (And, particularly, for people in demographics who vote D.)

You still haven't answered the question:

Does requiring voters to jump through a hoop, before the election, even if we believe the complete lie that it's an easy hoop, make it more difficult for people to vote?

But then he makes a waving motion with his hands, and says "they can get identification". 

Well, he alternates between that, and "if they don't get it, then it's their fault, so eff 'em". 

Do you have the memory of a goldfish? 

What was the question?

I threw out a link to an article on illegal Irish immigrants in the present day if you want to have some fun. Apparently they are forming Irish-only illegal neighborhoods in New York. Even after you elect a few of those to President the situation doesn't get better. So much for progress

But then he makes a waving motion with his hands, and says "they can get identification". 

Well, he alternates between that, and "if they don't get it, then it's their fault, so eff 'em". 

I have consistently said that I do believe that if an individual is incapable of going through the process of obtaining an ID, which is not nearly as difficult, in most cases, proper assistance should be provided under a uniformed process.  

There is really no reason people should not have pictured ID.  Seriously.

This is one instance.   It is not this way for every instance.   I have children.  I got them ID's and I've done it plenty of times as well.  I can not say that it has ever been a process that was nearly this difficult and my Birth Certificate was actually lost.   I had to apply for a new one.  

I've provided a link to the requirements for the state of Florida. 

You're a homeless man, living behind a Wendy's in Tampa.  You have no identification.  You're 55.  Born in Oklahoma. 

Please document the simple,easy, painless steps you go through, so you can vote. 

What was the question?

I through out a link to an article on illegal Irish immigrants in the present day if you want to have some fun. Apparently they are forming Irish-only illegal neighborhoods in New York. Even after you elect a few of those to President the situation doesn't get better. So much for progress

Granted this had to be 15 years ago, but I remember reading an article about the huge number of Irish people in New York and Boston who had overstayed their Visas.

I, of course, am in favor of immediate deportation of all from that accursed race.

I have consistently said that I do believe that if an individual is incapable of going through the process of obtaining an ID, which is not nearly as difficult, in most cases, proper assistance should be provided under a uniformed process.  

And I'm certain the Republicans proposing these laws are going to get right on top of that.

His birth certificate, a utility bill, and a medical bill would have been enough to get an ID.

Because lots of people who don't have ID walk around with certified copies of their birth certificate, and have current utility and cable bills (in their name). 

(BTW, in Florida, you also have to have proof of your SSN.  Better add an original SS card, or a current 1099 from one of your investments, to the list.) 

I've provided a link to the requirements for the state of Florida. 

You're a homeless man, living behind a Wendy's in Tampa.  You have no identification.  You're 55.  Born in Oklahoma. 

Please document the simple,easy, painless steps you go through, so you can vote. 

Find a Dem poll worker,tell them you are Jesus and they will take care of voting for you ....ya don't even have to do anything but make a x on the card or vote 

Yes, apparently we do. Because you keep insisting that we need to make things more difficult for them. (And, particularly, for people in demographics who vote D.)

You still haven't answered the question:

Does requiring voters to jump through a hoop, before the election, even if we believe the complete lie that it's an easy hoop, make it more difficult for people to vote?

No.  Ultimately, it would make it easier.  Once valid ID is obtained, the process would theoretically become much cheaper and easier.  

You must have a valid health card to get health benefits under Obamacare.   Why would having an ID be different for voting?

Enough on the voter ID laws though. Those are old news. Should we use this thread to discuss the AJA report on the massive voter roll purge, also targeting minorities? 

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/double-voters/

Or maybe it would be appropriate to start a new thread for that one...

Trying to maybe generate some discussion, here.

Anybody want to bet me that the list of 7 Million people the GOP is trying to remove from the voter registrations, contain zero registered Republicans?

No.  Ultimately, it would make it easier.  Once valid ID is obtained, the process would theoretically become much cheaper and easier.  

My question was not "can you try to find some way to alter my question into some other thing that you'd like to talk about"? 

Does adding another step to the voting process make it even slightly more difficult? 

Trying to maybe generate some discussion, here.

Anybody want to bet me that the list of 7 Million people the GOP is trying to remove from the voter registrations, contain zero registered Republicans?

The article gets into that a bit... there are some on both sides of the aisle. Just the same thing you run into with voter IDs... there end up being more impacted Dem than GOP voters.

Archived