Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Yep, life changing events like Duckus mentioned are acceptable. Same as any other workplace. 

I never thought they considered college being done a major event, makes sense though.

We will most likely be signing up for Obamacare in the next few weeks as a gap until she is employed. She has a pre-existing condition and this would never have been possible just a few years ago. Had this been just 3 years ago we would probably have been paying unaffordable rates or she would have been rejected outright. 

Who provides your health insurance?  Your wife has it through school, you have none?

Who provides your health insurance? Your wife has it through school, you have none?

I get it through my job. Small company - under 10 people. Work covers my entire premium and is a fairly good plan. I could add her to my insurance and pay the full premium for her, but the premiums are pretty high. Essentially small business plans and individual plans are the same. You do t get a much a discount because not enough people to spread out the costs.

But a rather expected loss of coverage

Is the school ins cheaper?

School insurance is very cheap. My wife's plan was a PPO with $500 out of pocket maximum per year. Premium was right around $200 a month.

We had our daughter while on that plan. It was amazing. $500 for everything :)

A similar plan on the private maket is almost impossible to find. Even plans with $2,000 out of pocket max are around $500 a month.

The rates for spouses and dependents on the plans are wayyyyyy higher. But for actual students it is dirt cheap.

Wish we could keep it. :/

Edited by Duckus

I get it through my job. Small company - under 10 people. Work covers my entire premium and is a fairly good plan. I could add her to my insurance and pay the full premium for her, but the premiums are pretty high. Essentially small business plans and individual plans are the same. You do t get a much a discount because not enough people to spread out the costs.

As a small business owner, who once was under 10 people and handle all my company benefits, I understand what you are in.  What state are you in?  I suspect the ACA plan might have lower premiums but a higher deductible.  If your wife has pre-existing conditions and uses her doctor, your company plan would probably always be cheaper over the course of a year.

Good luck.

We do the same, hubby gets his paid, mine comes out of his check. (His company has a whole lot more people, though.)  Trust me, he'd rather pay it than not.  If you like how it's worked for you, having the same level of service (and it IS a service) for your wife isn't a choice, it's necessary. 

I've had folks pushing 400 pounds that tell me they can't afford insurance, and I tell them that they can't afford to NOT have it, for obvious reasons.  (Once I explain how knees, hips, & ankles fail, not to mention how internal organs are dealing, they understand, but still want to live in "the world they're in".)  Sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

in terms of the technical aspect, there's no reason one exchange couldn't have been developed and then rolled out with different branding for each state.

i cannot believe how many states independently developed their own exchange, including finding their own software developers, designers, doing their own research (if they even did any), etc.

what  gigantic waste of money this thing has been.

even though i initially supported it, it's becoming hard to think of actual savings from this bill because of the sheer amount of money that's been spent simply on the exchanges.

We're looking at what, probably over 1 billion on the federal exchange? plus the state exchange costs? plus the money spent constantly fighting/supporting it in court?

i'm simply guessing here, but it's probably going to take decades for any savings (whatever they wind up being each year...) to break even.

in terms of the technical aspect, there's no reason one exchange couldn't have been developed and then rolled out with different branding for each state.

i cannot believe how many states independently developed their own exchange, including finding their own software developers, designers, doing their own research (if they even did any), etc.

I was about to agree with you, but then thought about it.

For example, each state runs it's own Medicare and Medicaid systems. Do the exchanges have to interface with those systems?

And each state has it's own insurance, of course.

Still, at first thought, I agree with you. Heck, maybe somebody could have talked Amazon into doing it.

I was about to agree with you, but then thought about it.

For example, each state runs it's own Medicare and Medicaid systems. Do the exchanges have to interface with those systems?

And each state has it's own insurance, of course.

Still, at first thought, I agree with you. Heck, maybe somebody could have talked Amazon into doing it.

Right but the framework is the same.

The exchange suffered from two things - the big one was not having the architecture designed (or scaled appropriately) to handle the volume.

It then had a second issue of generally not being designed to handle not being able to handle the volume... IE: when the usage went above what it was able to support, the exchanges started behaving in a non-predictable behavoir. This is why we have people who wound up having to register twice, only to find out neither one went through even though it said it did. I know someone this happened to... they wound up with no insurance for a few months, that's not a fun thing to find out because you normally don't find out until you need to use it...

It's why we wound up not being able to reliably determine what was going on for a while. It's why it was/is a huge mess.

The problem wasn't it just being down due to load, it was spitting out (according to the people receiving the results...) complete garbage and nonsense because of bugs within the framework of the exchange that were only realized once the load problem was introduced. (which, is far too late...)

They spent a lot of money fixing that... Designing the system to be robust, and reliable even when there are problems, and to interface with 3rd parties that would change from state to state, is not a tall order. It just requires having the appropriate people making the decisions and doing the work.

They farmed it out to a 3rd party gov't contractor, likely because someone had some connections (because gov't contracting is completely corrupt and inefficient at this point) and we, the tax payers, are footing the bill.

I'm sure when the exchange(s) launched on day one and were a complete and utter disaster, the Obama admin went to additional developers (which we know they did, because they said they did at the time) with the blank check mentality - get it fixed, whatever it costs.

Wonder what "whatever it costs" wound up costing... I have a few guesses...

Edited by tshile

writing is on the wall, people are not enrolling at anywhere near the numbers expected.

Facts seem to say otherwise. (Although they aren't exactly glowing stories of unending success, either.)

National Journal: CBO Predicts Slower Obamacare Growth

Obamacare enrollment won't be quite as fast—or as expensive—as previously expected, the Congressional Budget Office said Monday. 

All told, Obamacare reduced the number of uninsured Americans by about 12 million last year and will cut the uninsured rate by 19 million people this year, CBO said. And the budget office still expects the law to cover about 24 million people who otherwise would have been uninsured. 

But the budget office said enrollment in Obamacare's insurance exchanges will take longer than expected to ramp up. CBO said it now expects the exchanges to cover roughly 12 million people this year, down from 13 million in its last estimates. It also reduced its enrollment projections for 2016.

In the long run, CBO's estimates are basically unchanged. The budget office expects the exchanges to ultimately cover 24 million people. That's 1 million fewer than CBO's last estimate, but the budget office said the difference stems from more children getting coverage through Medicaid. 

That slowdown will also affect the law's costs. The estimated cost of subsidies for people who buy insurance in the exchanges is now $68 billion—or 7 percent—lower than CBO's last projections. But federal spending on Medicaid will likely be about $59 billion—7 percent—higher than CBO previously expected, according to Monday's update.

• Like 1

By the way, I believe the original exchange budget was 675 million or somewhere around there? That's just the initial budget... not the cost of fixing it when its launch was a complete failure.

That a complete joke. We got absolutely robbed in terms of how much was spent on this...

Well. That not remotely close to true. But not sure the point of arguing it honestly.

*Not mentioned.

- Hawaii has the Prepaid Healthcare Act which means if you work 20 hours for a company, they have to offer you health insurance. Its been like that for over 40 years. They already have one of the lowest uninsured rates in the country.

If anything, they and the Feds should have been smart enough to have a tweak for states like this that were already ahead of the curve. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/06/hawaii-health-insurance_n_7524426.html

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Well. That not remotely close to true. But not sure the point of arguing it honestly.

it was listed as a major factor by Hawaii, so it is at the least some true

rather varies by state,much like everything else.

Why are so many state exchanges struggling? (and bleeding money)

didn't hawaii already (pre-ACA) provide health coverage to all its residents?

how did they screw it up so badly?

(or is that why their exchange doesn't have any participants, article isn't very... informative)

Why are so many state exchanges struggling? (and bleeding money)

Ineffiencies associated with not having one central exchange? Thought having more responsibility with state govt was supposed to be preferable....

Sure seems like most of the things that are "wrong" with ACA's execution are the ones that the left wasn't thrilled with to begin with, but were thrown in to get it pushed through.

• 2 weeks later...

So, been thinking, lately, (always dangerous), about the upcoming Obamacare decision, and politics and things. 

My local paper has a teaser headline on the front page, I think it's today, along the lines of "Republicans say they have a plan to replace Obamacare subsidies". 

And I'm kinda wondering about the upcoming decision, and how it will affect "the game". 

I assume that people who really seriously enjoy military-grade political spin will really be loving the next several months. 

Any idle off season speculation on how this whole thing spins out, between now and the "regular season" election?  (Yeah, OK, that was a really pained metaphor.) 

Me, I figure it's likely that the Supremes will rule against Obamacare.  Between the usual number who will do anything for their respective political party that they swear they don't have, I think that the odds of a decision going with what the people who voted for it clearly wanted, over what they accidentally wrote, seems slim. 

Which, to me, says that any day now, millions (tens of millions?) of Americans are going to be notified that their health insurance premiums are going to skyrocket, because they live in a Republican state. 

(Me, I just last week switched my health care coverage from a BCBS plan that had been grandfathered in to Obamacare, that had a $1,000 deductible and a 10% copay, and cost me $650 a month (and was scheduled to go up to $700/month, next month), to an Obamacare plan that nominally has a $3,000 deductible and a 20% copay (but actually has a $0 deductible and $0 copay, because I'm Native American), and has a "sticker price" of $650/month (but it's $0/month, because of the subsidy.) 

(Maybe that was a bad idea.) 

So,. it's at least theoretically possible that, any day now, my health insurance will go from $0/month to $650/month (on a plan that I haven't made a payment on, yet). 

I anticipate an incredible amount of spin being applied, by the various politicians, if that happens. 

I'm thinking that it might actually produce a bigger amount of spin than the whole "debt ceiling hostage" thing.  (Not the least of which will be because they're intentionally trying to avoid discussing any plans at all, until after the crisis happens.  No doubt because they figure that it will be easier to ram through the stinker they've got hidden in the back room, after the explosion.) 

(Me, I really prefer my political theater to be a lot more hypothetical.)