Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Just thought I'd point at this point, which I referenced without support, a while back.  (Article from june 26.)  

CNN: American Medical Association joins other major groups in opposing Senate health bill

the article contains a list, which they say they've been maintaining, of groups supporting (1), neutral (an insurance industry lobby, and BCBS), and opposed to the bill.  Groups opposing are:  

• American Medical Association: "We sincerely hope that the Senate will take this opportunity to change the course of the current debate and work to fix problems with the current system."
  • American Hospital Association: "Medicaid cuts of this magnitude are unsustainable and will increase costs to individuals with private insurance."
  • American Association of Medical Colleges: "We are extremely disappointed by the Senate bill released today."
  • American College of Physicians: "I am writing to express our strongest possible opposition to the Better Care Reconciliation Act."
  • American Academy of Family Physicians: "The US Senate's proposed health reform bill contains provisions that would do great harm to patients."
  • American Academy of Pediatrics: "The bill fails children by dismantling the Medicaid program, capping its funding, ending its expansion and allowing its benefits to be scaled back."
  • National Association of Medicaid Directors: "The per capita cap growth rates for Medicaid in the Senate bill are insufficient and unworkable."
  • American Psychiatric Association: "The American Psychiatric Association urges the Senate to reject the troubling and harmful health care reform proposal released today by Senate Republicans. "
  • Federation of American Hospitals: "Most providers and clinicians, including FAH, are deeply concerned by the Better Care Reconciliation Act discussion draft."
  • America's Essential Hospitals: "Senate leaders today have put ideology ahead of lives with a plan that puts health and home at risk for millions of working Americans and that would badly weaken essential services for everyone in communities across the country."
  • AARP: "We strongly urge the Senate to reject this bill."
  • American Heart Association: "The Senate draft health care bill is literally heartless."
  • American Lung Association: "The healthcare legislation released today falls woefully short of providing healthcare for the 32 million Americans living with lung disease and should be rejected."
  • The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse: "Anyone who votes for the Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017 cannot claim to be committed to ending the opioid epidemic."
  • American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network: "Preliminary analysis of the Senate bill released today shows the proposal could greatly harm millions of cancer patients, survivors and those at risk for the disease."
  • US Conference for Catholic Bishops: "This moment cannot pass without comment. As the USCCB has consistently said, the loss of affordable access for millions of people is simply unacceptable. These are real families who need and deserve health care."
Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

Senate GOP leaders plan to unveil a revised health-care proposal Thursday that would allow insurers to sell austere plans that do not comply with requirements imposed under the Affordable Care Act, according to three Republicans familiar with the plans.

The Republicans, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record, said the proposal would incorporate a version of a controversial proposal from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), which conservatives have been pushing vocally during the last few weeks in an effort, they say, to lower premiums and give consumers more choices.

Does the new bill contain the same "Let's cut Medicaid, five years from now, dump the responsability for the cut on the states, and use the projected savings to justify a big tax cut, right now" part in it?  

To me, that's the biggest stinker in the previous bill.  The one that they ought to have the toughest time selling.  (With good reason.)  

(Unfortunately, it's also the part that's most important to the Republicans in Congress.)  

• Like 2

So insurance companies get to extract money and not have to cover any kind of quality service health services.

What a ****ing con!   

And what do you bet the premiums will rise on those do nothing policies?

Can we call this modern day GOP the DOP, Do Nothing Party? 

I hate them all.

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So insurance companies get to extract money and not have to cover any kind of quality service health services.

What a ****ing con!   

And what do you bet the premiums will rise on those do nothing policies?

Can we call this modern day GOP the DOP, Do Nothing Party? 

I hate them all.

Choices are dumb.  We shouldnt let buyers of insurance decide whats best for them.  We should make them all buy what we want them to buy at even HIGHER premiums.  

• Like 1

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

So I guess you don't have a problem with this latest proposed con? 

I dont want the GOP to do ANYTHING with Obamacare.  Let it fail on it's own.  Any proposed "fix" is simply putting a bandaid on a gutshot.

Specific to a plan, though, that would offer buyers more choices?  I'm all for that specific idea.  Let those people who want less bells and whistles pay less and get what they want.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I dont want the GOP to do ANYTHING with Obamacare.  Let it fail on it's own.  Any proposed "fix" is simply putting a bandaid on a gutshot.

Specific to a plan, though, that would offer buyers more choices?  I'm all for that specific idea.  Let those people who want less bells and whistles pay less and get what they want.

Sounds like a good way to make everyone's premiums go up.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

Does the new bill contain the same "Let's cut Medicaid, five years from now, dump the responsability for the cut on the states, and use the projected savings to justify a big tax cut, right now" part in it?  

Medicaid cuts did not change. Seems that's the constant that all these bills have.

The Senate bill is notable in what it doesn’t change: namely, significant cuts to the Medicaid program. While moderate senators have protested these cuts (particularly those who represent Medicaid expansion states), these provisions of the Senate bill remain largely intact.

https://www.vox.com/2017/7/13/15964194/new-senate-health-bill-explained-preexisting-conditions

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Until they need the extra coverage. 

I'm not a mind reader, are you? I didn't know that I was going to have a mild stroke. It could have been worse. My brother died of a massive heart attack and he was seeing doctors and we didn't know until after the fact.

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Until they need the extra coverage. 

I'm not a mind reader, are you? I didn't know that I was going to have a mild stroke. It could have been worse. My brother died of a massive heart attack and he was seeing doctors and we didn't know until after the fact.

That doesnt make sense (and maybe Im not seeing your point) but wont these proposed plans offering less coverage, be offering less coverage for regular health issues, but still cover catastrophic issues?  It wouldnt make sense for a plan to still cover annual well visits, but then not cover the heart attack/stroke/cancer events.

24 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

There are going to be all kinds of exceptions in these plans, and they will constantly change. The services/procedures covered will narrow, while premiums increase. The fine print will be huge, and most people won't read it. 

So if people forgo the better insurance, isnt that their choice?  And its up to them to accept the consequences of their choice?

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So if people forgo the better insurance, isnt that their choice?  And its up to them to accept the consequences of their choice?

People will forgo the better insurance because they won't be able to afford it.  That's a big difference.

I pay 500 a month for a 7000 deductible.  I had the opportunity to pay 750 a month for a 1700 deductible.  Are those good choices?