Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: The G.O.P.’s Gay Trajectory

SnyderShrugged

I think this is encouraging! (Though not nearly as encouraging as a complete removal of government from all marriages would be).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/opinion/sunday/the-gops-gay-trajectory.html?_r=1

OVER the past year, the main story line in the push for marriage equality has been the ardor and success with which leading Democratic politicians have taken up the fight. The Democratic governors of New York, Maryland and Washington all promoted and signed same-sex marriage laws, for which President Obama expressed his support last month.

Enlarge This Image

But the progress within Republican ranks has also been pivotal, not to mention fascinating. And a compelling character in that subplot just added a new twist to the narrative, one that suggests the rapidly changing political dynamics of this issue and its potential import to a party dogged by an image of being culturally out of touch.

That character is Paul E. Singer, 67, a billionaire hedge fund manager who is among the most important Republican donors nationwide. In just one Manhattan fund-raiser last month, he helped to collect more than $5 million for Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

He steadfastly supports conservative candidates. He also steadfastly supports gay rights in general and marriage equality in particular. Along with a few other leading Wall Street financiers, he contributed and helped drum up the majority of the money — more than $1 million — that fueled the campaign for same-sex marriage in New York.

More at link

In an interview on Tuesday, he told me that he’s confident that in Congressional races, which would most likely be the super PAC’s initial focus, there are more than a few Republicans “who could be on the verge of support” or are “harboring and hiding their views.”

So, he's going to help them come out?

[/cheap political shot]

Just as people my age still tend to associate Dems with the welfare loving Jesse Jackson/Walter Mondale wing of the party, 20somethings today will probably tend to associate the GOP with gay-bashing religious whacko anti-intellectual voices of Palin/Bachman/Perry

Good for this guy for taking a stand and trying to pull the GOP out of the 50's. However I think he's got some tough sledding ahead. He may be able to financially shield candidates that support gay marriage but he won't be able to shield them from the anger of the far-right evangelical types. Most elections in the south hinge on which candidate can convince voters they're the "real" Republican in the GOP primaries since the general election is often a cakewalk if you have an R after your name. Therefore most GOP candidates that come out in favor of gay rights will see their campaigns brutally aborted....and not a late term abortion at that.

I think if I'm in the GOP, what I hope for is for the Supreme Court to legalize gay marriage. That way, I don't have to actually crusade against it, any more. But, the folks who hate it, they won't be mad at me. In fact, I can verbally cater to them, without actually passing any anti-gay legislation that would cost me the non-anti-gay vote.

Just as people my age still tend to associate Dems with the welfare loving Jesse Jackson/Walter Mondale wing of the party, 20somethings today will probably tend to associate the GOP with gay-bashing religious whacko anti-intellectual voices of Palin/Bachman/Perry

say what?

Well said

Hubbs has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Come on, at least quote me next time when posting something like this so I'll get a notification. I only happened to click on this thread again by random chance.

Anyway, inbox cleared.

Archived