Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Niles Paul Following in Shannon Sharpe's Footsteps May Not Be as Crazy as it Sounds

rd421

Who is the bigger d-bag?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the bigger d-bag?

• Roger Goddell
    • DeMaurice Smith

Direct quote from article: 'The big question here is: cam Paul put in the work to make the transition from just having physical similarities to Sharpe, and turn them into a career that rivals the hall of famer.'

Obviously one of us read the article.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, once and for all.

My 'Cooley loving brain' (good one) doesnt want to dismiss #47 because up until his injuries, he was one of the most productive TE this team has ever had. The man is only 29 years old. If, big if, he can stay healthy, I dont see how he suddenly becomes unproductive. He's never had great speed, just a knack to make plays. Paul is a complete unknown, but trust me, if he can produce like CC47 has, he'll be my new sig sooner than later. Im rooting for the guy.

I think there are too many folks on here latching on to the words of 'insiders' who, when it comes down to it, are just fans like you and me. It's all speculation until coach makes an announcement. Especially now that we're hearing that the team is hoping to carry 4 TE, it seems very unlikely that we've seen the last of CC, barring injury.

You take shots but look like a "fool". Posters don't have to listen to me at all bro and im posting like everybody else on this board so relax. I think there is nothing wrong with Cooley fans holding out hope that he can turn back the clock but it is just not a realistic view. I think you know the difference from speed and effective speed and while Chris was never really a speed guy he was able to be quick enough. So far at OTAs Chris looks noticeably slower than he has in the past and Chris himself said he doubts if he has the speed to be productive in this offense. Nobody is on a hate Cooley campaign but when the guy himself is doubtful what does that tell you about what is going on.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

update: Niles Paul showing off at OTAs..

June 1st has no bearing on Cooley at this point. Redskins could have released Cooley in March,April,or May and designated him a post June 1st release and still received the same salary benefit. Teams are allowed one pre-june 1st release like this year a now under terms of the new cba.

It has a bearing in terms of which players other teams release, and if Shanahan may covet someone enough to part with a player current under contract,

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 11:13 AM ----------

update: Niles Paul showing off at OTAs..

Since you said we should take Grant Paulsen's views with a grain of salt concerning Cooley, should we also take your views with a grain of salt concerning Paul?

It has a bearing in terms of which players other teams release, and if Shanahan may covet someone enough to part with a player current under contract,

Since you said we should take Grant Paulsen's views with a grain of salt concerning Cooley, should we also take your views with a grain of salt concerning Paul?

agree but like i said that has no bearing on Chris Cooley's future in DC.

Direct quote from article: 'The big question here is: cam Paul put in the work to make the transition from just having physical similarities to Sharpe, and turn them into a career that rivals the hall of famer.'

Obviously one of us read the article.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, once and for all.

My 'Cooley loving brain' (good one) doesnt want to dismiss #47 because up until his injuries, he was one of the most productive TE this team has ever had. The man is only 29 years old. If, big if, he can stay healthy, I dont see how he suddenly becomes unproductive. He's never had great speed, just a knack to make plays. Paul is a complete unknown, but trust me, if he can produce like CC47 has, he'll be my new sig sooner than later. Im rooting for the guy.

I think there are too many folks on here latching on to the words of 'insiders' who, when it comes down to it, are just fans like you and me. It's all speculation until coach makes an announcement. Especially now that we're hearing that the team is hoping to carry 4 TE, it seems very unlikely that we've seen the last of CC, barring injury.

i have always been of the mind that if cooley is healthy then he should be on the team, so throw that out when you read my posts. obviously you're defensive about a guy who could get replaced, but that doesn't mean that you should take such offense to an article written by (get this) a fan. you know like you and me.

this is just an opinion piece written by a guy who likes the redskins and it's done what it was supposed to, spark discussion around here. even the piece you quoted is completely non-committal and doesn't imply that paul is going to go one way or another, it's just wondering out loud (in text) whether he'll put in the same work his predecessor did to succeed.

this organization isn't run by nostalgia or fan favorites, it's run by men who want the best players on the field and cutting a 29 year old coming off injuries who doesn't look back to form and his $6 million contract for an UDFA then so be it. i trust mike a lot more when it comes to a guy like cooley than you, who has no bearing on cooley's injury or recovery.

I have no horse in this debate cali lol. I am just putting out unbiased information for people to read and hear. Unfortunately the Paul "views" are not only mine but were seen by everyone else out at the park today. Niles is getting a ton of reps and its odvious he is being put on the fast track to the #2 TE position.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 06:19 PM ----------

Apparently if you say anything positive about Paul or another TE it is blasphemy to some.

I have no horse in this debate cali lol. I am just putting out unbiased information for people to read and hear. Unfortunately the Paul "views" are not only mine but were seen by everyone else out at the park today. Niles is getting a ton of reps and its odvious he is being put on the fast track to the #2 TE position.

Apparently if you say anything positive about Paul or another TE it is blasphemy to some.

Your last sentence means we definitely should take your comments about Paul and/or Cooley with a grain of salt lol :ols:...

Your last sentence means we definitely should take your comments about Paul and/or Cooley with a grain of salt lol :ols:...

How so when it is a fact? If I made a comment about Davis at OTAS you wouldn't be all hot and bothered and ready to post a response to support your Cooley stance. Cooley shows out and earns his spot awesome that's great bro but its not gonna happen. I want what is best for the T-E-A-M and right now based on what Mike Shanahan is doing that is not Cooley because Chris does not have the same ability level.

How so when it is a fact?

So it's fact that "saying anything positive about Niles Paul" is considered "blasphemy"? You're gonna stand on that as being fact? lol ;)

If I made a comment about Davis at OTAS you wouldn't be all hot and bothered and ready to post a response to support your Cooley stance.

Who's all "hot and bothered"?...All I asked was should we take your viewpoints with a grain of salt the way you said we should take Grant Paulsen's? Where's the "hot and bothered" in that statement? Hell, for that matter, where's the "Support Cooley" stance in that statement?

Cooley shows out and earns his spot awesome that's great bro but its not gonna happen.

Let me ask you something...why did you feel it necessary to add on the "but its not gonna happen"? Why aren't you content with just saying "Cooley shows out and earns his spot awesome that's great"?

I want what is best for the T-E-A-M and right now based on what Mike Shanahan is doing that is not Cooley because Chris does not have the same ability level.

Then why the hell is he even still here? :ols:...Obviously Shanahan feels differently about what Cooley could offer the team, if healthy.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 11:47 AM ----------

I have a feeling there will be a city-wide suicide watch in DC when Cooley is cut... just a feeling

Why do you say that?

i have always been of the mind that if cooley is healthy then he should be on the team, so throw that out when you read my posts. obviously you're defensive about a guy who could get replaced, but that doesn't mean that you should take such offense to an article written by (get this) a fan. you know like you and me.

this is just an opinion piece written by a guy who likes the redskins and it's done what it was supposed to, spark discussion around here. even the piece you quoted is completely non-committal and doesn't imply that paul is going to go one way or another, it's just wondering out loud (in text) whether he'll put in the same work his predecessor did to succeed.

this organization isn't run by nostalgia or fan favorites, it's run by men who want the best players on the field and cutting a 29 year old coming off injuries who doesn't look back to form and his $6 million contract for an UDFA then so be it. i trust mike a lot more when it comes to a guy like cooley than you, who has no bearing on cooley's injury or recovery.

Then we agree that Cooley should stay if healthy, even if he has lost a step (given that he restructures).

Now, I'm curious as to why you think I'm 'defensive about a guy who could get replaced'? I thought I was pretty clear when I said CC had been extremely productive up until his string of injuries. If healthy, I don't see how he suddenly becomes unproductive. What I didn't say is if he isn't productive, then get rid of him, but I thought that was a given. Am i clear now? I'm confused on how I'm being defensive.

Finally, it is my opinion that the author, based on the quote and the title of the article, thinks its reasonably likely Paul puts up numbers similar to a GOD'er, granted he puts in the work. My response; its a stretch.

Oh who the hell cares? It's like effing "One Life To Live" around here with that BS now.

I am a Redskins fan, not a Cooley fan. The good of the many...

Thanks for the info leap.

Ok guys I promised I'd post what I saw at today's OTA so here goes. Cooley looks like he's in good shape guy looks skinny actually. He wasn't limping and was full go during team drills.

However, and this is going to sting so be ready- he has CLEARLY lost a step (or 5). Cooley was never a "fast" guy and today he looked flat out slow. But don't take my word for it everyone I was standing with from literally every media outlet said the same. Hes healthy but i wonder if he gets what little burst he had back.

Niles on the other hand looks great this early in transition (again dont take my word Shanahan confirmed when we talked to him during the presser). They want Niles to make an impact on the offense no doubt about it. Like I said in the write up he's getting the opportunity it's up to him now.

Then why the hell is he even still here? :ols:...Obviously Shanahan feels differently about what Cooley could offer the team, if healthy.[

He's still here because Shanny is giving him every chance to make the team. So far the knee is holding up without swelling. He's resculpted his body much like Fred Davis did a year or two ago. Cooley is a guy that has said before that he'd retire before playing for another team. He has roots here. He has a business here. His wife's family is here. With him, you can run the **** out of him up until its time to cut down to 53 & see where his knee & speed are at.

Ok guys I promised I'd post what I saw at today's OTA so here goes. Cooley looks like he's in good shape guy looks skinny actually. He wasn't limping and was full go during team drills.

However, and this is going to sting so be ready- he has CLEARLY lost a step (or 5). Cooley was never a "fast" guy and today he looked flat out slow. But don't take my word for it everyone I was standing with from literally every media outlet said the same. Hes healthy but i wonder if he gets what little burst he had back.

Niles on the other hand looks great this early in transition (again dont take my word Shanahan confirmed when we talked to him during the presser). They want Niles to make an impact on the offense no doubt about it. Like I said in the write up he's getting the opportunity it's up to him now.

Sad news for Cooley.

But, I would love another speedy TE with good hands. I just don't see a down side to this. Apparently our head coach doesn't either.

He's still here because Shanny is giving him every chance to make the team.

Why would Shanahan give someone a chance to make the team when apparently he's not the type of player Shanahan even wants on the team? lol (which is what LL was saying)

So far the knee is holding up without swelling. He's resculpted his body much like Fred Davis did a year or two ago. Cooley is a guy that has said before that he'd retire before playing for another team. He has roots here. He has a business here. His wife's family is here. With him, you can run the **** out of him up until its time to cut down to 53 & see where his knee & speed are at.

I agree, and I also think Shanahan sees a real value to a healthy Cooley, and doesn't dismiss or diminish what he feels CC can bring to the field in his offense...Shanahan wouldn't waste time with Cooley if he thought otherwise.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 12:25 PM ----------

To me, Cooley's speed IS part of his health...not just the condition of his knee. So part of proving he's 100% healthy is proving he has regained his speed. Then again, even Cooley acknowledges that he needs to regain whatever speed he had, so it's not too surprising and doesn't really "sting", imo.

The part about Niles is good news, though...Again, what's best for the team is for BOTH Paul and Cooley to impress, thus making it difficult for Shanahan to decide what to do.

Yea, cause that makes sense. Please, read the thread and the article.
Yeah, Lavarleap56 nor I have read anything here, the title thread or the article. You are the only one here that understands anything.:ols:

Well, it was interesting/fun discussing this with you, but it just got a little weird, so...

Is Cooley practicing? Thought Mike said he had a minor groin issue. I only ask to make sure that's not the reason Paul's getting more work.

N/M, just saw RDs post

He's still here because Shanny is giving him every chance to make the team. So far the knee is holding up without swelling. He's resculpted his body much like Fred Davis did a year or two ago. Cooley is a guy that has said before that he'd retire before playing for another team. He has roots here. He has a business here. His wife's family is here. With him, you can run the **** out of him up until its time to cut down to 53 & see where his knee & speed are at.

Well said.

So it's fact that "saying anything positive about Niles Paul" is considered "blasphemy"? You're gonna stand on that as being fact? lol ;)

Yes that is a fact to a good bit of posters and people in general

In some peoples eyes yes that is a fact]Who's all "hot and bothered"?...All I asked was should we take your viewpoints with a grain of salt the way you said we should take Grant Paulsen's? Where's the "hot and bothered" in that statement? Hell, for that matter, where's the "Support Cooley" stance in that statement?

I said that about Grant due to his relationship with Tanner. Grant has good viewpoints about the game but as far as moves that are made not that great.

Let me ask you something...why did you feel it necessary to add on the "but its not gonna happen"? Why aren't you content with just saying "Cooley shows out and earns his spot awesome that's great"?

Because I already know what the feeling and the talk in the building is.

Then why the hell is he even still here? :ols:...Obviously Shanahan feels differently about what Cooley could offer the team, if healthy.

47 was told he would get a fair shot to stay a Redskin and he is simple as that. Cooley being here right now means nothing as I have told you many times over many different posts. Skins do not have to make a move on Chris and won't for awhile.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 11:47 AM ----------

Why do you say that?

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 07:35 PM ----------

And Mike told him he had a fair shot and hes a man of his word.. that doesn't mean Cooley's chances are any better of staying around. Lombardi on the show even spoke about Mike and standing bye it.

---------- Post added May-31st-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

Why would Shanahan give someone a chance to make the team when apparently he's not the type of player Shanahan even wants on the team? lol (which is what LL was saying)

Thats not what I Said at all. what kind of trees are you smoking on out there in cali bro?

Thanks for the update rd421. It would be sad if he's cut, but if he can't keep up, then I'd rather move on. This offense is predicated on speed.

I just hope he rethinks his position about playing for another team and doesn't cut his career short. As long as he has the desire to play football and can contribute, it wouldn't bother me to see him continue his career on another team outside the NFC East.

9. Niles Paul stood out in today’s practice, catching two deep balls while being matched up against a safety and a linebacker. His transition to tight end will hinge more on his development as a blocker than as a pass-catcher, but there’s no question that a tight end with his 4.5 speed will present problems for defenses.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/05/31/ota-update-10-quick-hitters-from-redskins-park/

Note about Paul :))))

Archived