Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Niles Paul Following in Shannon Sharpe's Footsteps May Not Be as Crazy as it Sounds

rd421

Who is the bigger d-bag?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the bigger d-bag?

• Roger Goddell
    • DeMaurice Smith

lessons-learned.jpg

In the last five days, I have learned a great many things. For example I learned that my once dominant Orioles are running out of gas… in May.

I learned that something as simple as a $30 dollar swimming pool is heaven on a 95 degree Memorial Day (that was an adventure).

But most importantly I learned that Redskins fans don’t take kindly to questioning players they hold dear to their heart.

Take the current Chris Cooley situation. An overwhelming majority of Redskins fans really don’t like the idea of Cooley being cut from the squad this season. People are emotionally attached to Captain Chaos, which we knew. But most people who have argued that he should remain on the team have given no deeper reason than, “I LOVE COOLEY! HE CAN NEVER LEAVE!”

Truly, I understand the passionate connection between Cooley and his fans, but the reality of the situation is–regardless of whether Cooley sticks around for 2012 or not–he is on borrowed time as a Redskin. Call it blind love, because it seems like many fans are in denial about the reasons why Chris faces an uphill battle to make the team.

We, like a number of other outlets, have hit this topic pretty hard. You can find all sorts of pieces/podcasts on the money situation, the stiff competition at the TE position, and how the whole injury thing affects his status. So we aren’t going to beat those dead horses more than necessary.

The progress of Fred Davis has been a hot topic for almost a year now, and conventional wisdom says if he can stay out of trouble, we should expect a highly productive year from him. Fred is obviously the number one guy, because–sorry Cooley fans–he is just a much better fit for Shanahan’s offense.

That leaves Cooley as the 2nd string TE making $6M in 2012 – and that ain’t going to work.

But forget the money. Forget the fact that Chris doesn’t have a skill set that makes him desirable for this offense. Heck, forget the whole smoking thing too, while you’re at it. I am actually starting to wonder if the Redskins TE of the future isn’t Fred or Chris.

Enter Niles Paul.

I know many of you really and truly believe that the whole transition from WR to TE is little more than Shanahan’s boredom getting the best of him. But I have to wonder if this experiment may turn out to be pure genius.

Let’s look at a simple fact that most people are not taking into account.

With the additions of Joshua Morgan and Pierre Garcon to the WR corps, the assumed healthy return of Leonard Hankerson, and the fact that a slimmer, quicker Santana Moss is still on the roster, things are tight at WR. Paul is an incredibly hard worker and an obvious, if untapped, talent. This regime has zero intention of letting him go walk just because there is no place for him at WR.

Sure, Mike Shanahan has a well-deserved reputation for turning no name RBs and WRs into pro bowlers, but let’s not forget that this isn’t Mike Shanahan’s first rodeo when it comes to converting a TE to WR.

Yeah, that’s right; I’m playing the Shannon Sharpe card. But it is not as crazy as it sounds, so stick with me.

When you compare the two players’ physical attributes, the similarities are frankly shocking.

Continue Reading Here

Wow. Didn't realize how close they are with the physical stat's. I would love to see a diamond in the rough here. Obviously, Shanny sees something in Paul to move him to TE instead of leaving him as most likely camp fodder at the WR spot.

Cooley has an uphill battle ahead of him. If he is beat out by Paul I am fine with that because unlike many 'skins fans, I don't get emotionally attached to long-tenured individual players on the downside of their careers.

Paul has reportedly put on more weight while maintaining his speed. Still, its a stretch.

He has def bulked up, you can tell in the pic we used in the post I believe it is his twitter pic too.

I

Might be, but it's also a stretch to think that Cooley can revert back to the Cooley we used to know and love.

Psssssh don't say stuff like that outloud... I spent my entire holiday weekend putting out fires caused by that sort of thinking.

But most people who have argued that he should remain on the team have given no deeper reason than, “I LOVE COOLEY! HE CAN NEVER LEAVE!”

:rolleyes:

This is evidence that either you rarely, if ever, actually listen to and understand what people with opposing views are saying...or you've just taken your first "Using Strawmen For Fun And Profit" seminar.

Very well done. I love how you started off easy and you let the Cooley fans down nice and slow.

Great read.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:42 AM ----------

I

Psssssh don't say stuff like that outloud... I spent my entire holiday weekend putting out fires caused by that sort of thinking.

Bro, I spent most of last offseason with that one and Landry... too funny.

This is evidence that either you rarely, if ever, actually listen to and understand what people with opposing views are saying...or you've just taken your first "Using Strawmen For Fun And Profit" seminar.

Or that that is the reason people have given me directly... Listen man I love Cooley he's I'm fact my favorite Redskin but we have to look at this outside of emotional attachment. In the battles I have taught on this (all of which are not on ES) the response has been because I love him he can't go...

I really wish I was seeing the same thing as everyone else who says that the only reasons people give for keeping cooley is "I LOVE CHRIS COOLEY'.

Davis is one failed drug test away from a year long suspension. Cooley is a starting caliber TE when healthy, you can't say that with confidence about any of our others.

The last season Cooley was healthy....two years ago....he had an very good season with I believe over 800 yards and 70 catches. That was in the Shanahan Offense that he's apparently a "poor fit" for.

Cooley's catching and running ability is farther ahead of Logan Paulsen than Logan's blocking skills are beyond Cooley's. Early last season we saw the team try to go with Two TE sets but it ended somewhat quickly due to the lockout affected injury of Cooley's. There's no reason to think we won't be giving it another go, and Cooley + Davis is a better choice than Paulsen and Davis. Paul is an option, but he's going to need a bit of time.

By all accounts Cooley is a great figure to have at practice and in the locker room. He keeps people positive and loose, has a good work ethic, and has no problem helping the younger guys out. On a team filled with fresh young faces it is helpful to have some veterans around to guide them. When said veteran is still under 30, that's a positive.

Cooley's cap hit is not pretty, but at the same time right now we're not sitting in cap hell and are still doing okay. You don't want to pay a guy simply to do nothing, but if you have the money to spend and IF he's healthy its not going to hurt you to pay him.

Even if it's a cut and resign at a lower rate, that'd be fine. But it'd be in this teams interest, based even just on football decisions and not marketing decisions, to have Chris Cooley on this roster this upcoming year. Not because "I LOVE CHRIS COOLEY" but for a number of legitimate reasons.

I'm excited about Paul at TE. I'm excited about the possabilities of him and Fred Davis going forward. I'm excited to see where he's at half way through the season as he gets some experience to see how legitimate he can be. But I don't have confidence in it for week 1 or even week 4.

Rd,

Excellent post. I am a huge Cooley fan and I will shed a tear when he has to leave, but I understand these decisions have to be made. It is great to hear that Paul may fit into some mold that Shanny has. Shannon averaged 61 catches a year, 718 yds, and 4 tds. If we can get half the production out of him that Sharpe had, its a success in my book. Sharing time with Davis, this would be an awesome duo.

HTTR!

I really wish I was seeing the same thing as everyone else who says that the only reasons people give for keeping cooley is "I LOVE CHRIS COOLEY'.

Davis is one failed drug test away from a year long suspension. Cooley is a starting caliber TE when healthy, you can't say that with confidence about any of our others.

The last season Cooley was healthy....two years ago....he had an very good season with I believe over 800 yards and 70 catches. That was in the Shanahan Offense that he's apparently a "poor fit" for.

Cooley's catching and running ability is farther ahead of Logan Paulsen than Logan's blocking skills are beyond Cooley's. Early last season we saw the team try to go with Two TE sets but it ended somewhat quickly due to the lockout affected injury of Cooley's. There's no reason to think we won't be giving it another go, and Cooley + Davis is a better choice than Paulsen and Davis. Paul is an option, but he's going to need a bit of time.

By all accounts Cooley is a great figure to have at practice and in the locker room. He keeps people positive and loose, has a good work ethic, and has no problem helping the younger guys out. On a team filled with fresh young faces it is helpful to have some veterans around to guide them. When said veteran is still under 30, that's a positive.

Cooley's cap hit is not pretty, but at the same time right now we're not sitting in cap hell and are still doing okay. You don't want to pay a guy simply to do nothing, but if you have the money to spend and IF he's healthy its not going to hurt you to pay him.

Even if it's a cut and resign at a lower rate, that'd be fine. But it'd be in this teams interest, based even just on football decisions and not marketing decisions, to have Chris Cooley on this roster this upcoming year. Not because "I LOVE CHRIS COOLEY" but for a number of legitimate reasons.

I'm excited about Paul at TE. I'm excited about the possabilities of him and Fred Davis going forward. I'm excited to see where he's at half way through the season as he gets some experience to see how legitimate he can be. But I don't have confidence in it for week 1 or even week 4.

This is legitimately the first coherent argument I have heard to keep Chris around :applause:

You hit the nail on the head with Fred especially after thy pic that went around Friday night. But I could argue that Chris is one cut away from missing the season too... That is exactly why I like the grooming of Paul which was the point of this piece not to bash Cooley.

You being on the constant defensive on this issue suggests that you are clearly more emotional about this issue then anything else. Get over it.

Or that that is the reason people have given me directly...

You said "most" people who hope Cooley sticks around give that reason....actually what you said was this:

An overwhelming majority of Redskins fans really don’t like the idea of Cooley being cut from the squad this season. People are emotionally attached to Captain Chaos, which we knew. But most people who have argued that he should remain on the team have given no deeper reason than, “I LOVE COOLEY! HE CAN NEVER LEAVE!”

That covers a TON more people than just the ones you've talked to personally. And I would hazard a guess that, if they saw their opinions diminished the way you did in your piece, they wouldn't take too kindly to seeing them reduced to being little more than teenage girls upset that their favorite singer on American Idol might be voted off. And I have no doubt whatsoever that, if you were to talk to someone about me and my viewpoints on this thread, you'd chalk it up to nothing more than me thinking "Cooley can't be cut from the Redskins!!!!"

Zoony said it perfectly on the other thread covering this very same topic about Cooley and Paul:

I'm not sure why this debate has to be framed as the Cooley ballwashers -vs- the level headed non-emotional types.

It's possible to have no particular attachment to Chris Cooley and still think he might have something to add to this Team. I personally have never been too impressed with him as a person- at least what little I've seen. Hell, I said he should have been traded 3 years ago. http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?303964-My-2-year-plan-to-save-the-franchise.-Sorry-Chris-Cooley-(

However, he has no trade value right now. His cap number is tough but we already have assembled our Team going into the season. Why would we cut him right now? At a minimum he should be given a complete Training Camp- if he can still contribute, he should be on the roster.

I'm not quite sure why I need to be labeled a ballwasher to have that opinion. (or most everyone else)

I think we're seeing one possible answer with this thread...

Listen man I love Cooley he's I'm fact my favorite Redskin but we have to look at this outside of emotional attachment. In the battles I have taught on this (all of which are not on ES) the response has been because I love him he can't go...

In "battles" you have "taught"? lol...

And if you're gonna make a sweeping judgement of a group of people, it might help to actually gauge what the viewpoints of those people actually are. Hell, just read through the other Paul/Cooley thread alone, and you'll see a lot of divergent viewpoints represented well with facts and analysis to back them up. I'm pretty sure that would have been extremely easy to do.

I was going to say this and you beat me to it. Funny how a 32 year old Moss is suddenly rejuvenated with weight loss, but 29 year old Cooley is not.

I was going to say this and you beat me to it. Funny how a 32 year old Moss is suddenly rejuvenated with weight loss, but 29 year old Cooley is not.

I don't see people on here claiming that and I'm certainly not, but Moss isn't coming off an injury either.

You said "most" people who hope Cooley sticks around give that reason....actually what you said was this:

That covers a TON more people than just the ones you've talked to personally. And I would hazard a guess that, if they saw their opinions diminished the way you did in your piece, they wouldn't take too kindly to seeing them reduced to being little more than teenage girls upset that their favorite singing on American Idol might be voted off. And I have no doubt whatsoever that, if you were to talk to someone about me and my viewpoints on this thread, you'd chalk it up to nothing more than me thinking "Cooley can't be cut from the Redskins!!!!"

Zoony said it perfectly on the other thread covering this very same topic about Cooley and Paul:

I think we're seeing one possible answer with this thread...

In "battles" you have "taught"? lol...

And if you're gonna make a sweeping judgement of a group of people, it might help to actually gauge what the viewpoints of those people actually are. Hell, just read through the other Paul/Cooley thread alone, and you'll see a lot of divergent viewpoints represented well with facts and analysis to back them up. I'm pretty sure that would have been extremely easy to do.

Listen man I have yet to see you bring a reason why he should stick around, honestly I would love to hear it others have made great points and I commend that but to just keep throwing "your wrong" at me is pretty silly. Make a legit point as to why his inflated salary and injury concerns aren't an issue and why it is in this teams best Interest to move forward with him.

You being on the constant defensive on this issue suggests that you are clearly more emotional about this issue then anything else. Get over it.

Not constantly...only with those too lazy to actually build a cohesive, compelling argument and instead rely on the "I LOVE CHRIS COOLEY!!" retort to frame their viewpoints.

Here's a thought: read the thread starter's last post above yours...he claims that one of the posts above was the "first" time he's seen anyone give those arguments concerning Cooley, Paul, Davis, etc, etc...and he applauds it as a well-reasoned viewpoint.

Now...go back to the other thread where you claim all I do is react emotionally in my responses, and tell me what the difference is in ZRagone's post and my posts on that thread, or anyone else's who felt the same as I do.

I know, you don't need to...your ironically emotional reactions to my posts (or hell, maybe to me) will keep you from seeing anything objectively anyway. Constantly reacting to my reactions proves that point.

Also the point made with Moss was that he was still on the roster that was it

I don't see people on here claiming that and I'm certainly not, but Moss isn't coming off an injury either.

He's also coming off a very terrible year by his standards. And I'm not one of those emotional, hang on to player types. I thought Shanahan did Portis a favor his first year here, when I would have cut him. I still think Cooley can contribute to this team and I'm also aware that if he makes the roster, this is by all intents and purposes, Cooley's last year as a Redskin. He will not be on the roster next season.

Archived