Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**TMZ.COM ** Goober From Andy Griffith Show Dead At 76

Gracelander

I guess the trifecta is complete.

Seau

MCA

Goober

George Lindsey -- who appeared on such classic TV shows as "The Andy Griffith Show," "Gunsmoke" and "Hee Haw" -- died Sunday morning after an extended illness. He was 76.

Lindsey -- who grew up in Jasper, Alabama -- will be buried there, reports WSFA in Tennessee ... but no plans have been made yet.

Lindsey was probably best known for playing Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show." He got the part after originally auditioning for the role of Gomer Pyle, but lost out to Jim Nabors.

goob.jpg

Andy Grifffith show was a pretty underrated bit of work. Some classic characters came out of it like Barney Fife, Gomer Pyle, Floyd, the Barber, Otis, Opie, Aunt Bee, etc.

It was a smarter show than people gave it credit for and had a gentle comedy you don't see enough these days.

Andy Grifffith show was a pretty underrated bit of work. Some classic characters came out of it like Barney Fife, Gomer Pyle, Floyd, the Barber, Otis, Opie, Aunt Bee, etc.

It was a smarter show than people gave it credit for and had a gentle comedy you don't see enough these days.

Agreed 100%

That sucks.

All these years I never watched Andy Griffith...until just this year. It comes on TV Land at 11AM. I was watching The Dick Van Dyke Show and Leave it to Beaver, and then found myself watching AG that comes on after those two and I really started to enjoy the episodes between the lessons and the comedy.

This episode was the one I remember Goober from most...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZeacmVyxrA

Parts 2 and 3 are on youtube.

RIP sir. Thanks for the laughs.

It's generally considered one of the five or ten best sitcoms ever.

And it's really really fantastic.

I never found Goober very funny though. So, I'll share what I think is the genius of Andy Griffith. Andy Griffith was a pretty successful stand-up and he was supposed to do a show where he was the funny star. (And if you watch some of the earliest Andy Griffith shows, you will seen Andy getting a lot more punchlines). However, once he started filming he realized that Don Knotts was a comedic genius and that having two "funny" guys in all the scenes would be too much. So, he decided that he would be the straight man who let Barney and all the other eccentrics in Mayberry bounce off him.

If you think about it, this is almost exactly what Jerry Seinfeld did.

Archived