Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: The Death of Facts In An Age of "Truthiness"

AsburySkinsFan

Well, i'd consider myself liberal leaning, and NPR more liberal than me.

I wasn't talking about whether NPR was liberal or not, but your commentary about the 24 hour news cycle, since NPR isn't just a news organization. They actually produces a lot of programs that are not news at all, so they really don't fall into that fallacy.

I wasn't talking about whether NPR was liberal or not, but your commentary about the 24 hour news cycle, since NPR isn't just a news organization. They actually produces a lot of programs that are not news at all, so they really don't fall into that fallacy.

I honestly was not aware of that. I thought it was all news.

Well, i'd consider myself liberal leaning, and NPR more liberal than me.

I'd beg to differ. Many, probably most of their staff are liberals but their reporting is IMO very balanced. Moreover even if/when they do show some bias their stories provide a level of depth and background that allows the listener to pick up on it even if the topic is new to the listener. Whether one agrees with my assessment or not, I think it's definitely truthy that the listener almost always comes away more well informed after listening to an NPR story. That's a lot more than I can say for the vast majority of non-print news media.

I'd beg to differ. Many, probably most of their staff are liberals but their reporting is IMO very balanced. Moreover even if/when they do show some bias their stories provide a level of depth and background that allows the listener to pick up on it even if the topic is new to the listener. Whether one agrees with my assessment or not, I think it's definitely truthy that the listener almost always comes away more well informed after listening to an NPR story. That's a lot more than I can say for the vast majority of non-print news media.

I have to agree. I'm pretty conservative, despite moving more center-ward over the last 5 years or so. Their hard news is excellent. Some of their features are on more left-geared topics, and they do present more of a left-leaning slant on those. But as you correctly point out, such pieces are easily identifiable, and can be absorbed like an op-ed piece as opposed to hard news.

I also like the fact that, similar to the BBC, NPR paints a more worldly picture of news than most American media outlets do. I enjoy both. And both have helped me become quite a bit less Amerocentric; which I view as a good thing.

I have to agree. I'm pretty conservative, despite moving more center-ward over the last 5 years or so. Their hard news is excellent. Some of their features are on more left-geared topics, and they do present more of a left-leaning slant on those. But as you correctly point out, such pieces are easily identifiable, and can be absorbed like an op-ed piece as opposed to hard news.

I also like the fact that, similar to the BBC, NPR paints a more worldly picture of news than most American media outlets do. I enjoy both. And both have helped me become quite a bit less Amerocentric; which I view as a good thing.

I knew you waz a commie!

That's like 3 or 4 times I've agreed with an HH post recently (though there are still those that make me want to slap him). Apparently, both he and I are devolving. :pfft:

Oh, yeah, btw, it was Winnie (not the Pooh).

The tone makes me think more of Twain. But I have no idea.
I'd agree, but I've been reading Twain shorts lately and I don't think so.

Churchill:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Men+occasionally+stumble+over+the+truth%2C+but+most+of+them+pick+themselves+up+and+hurry+off+as+if+nothing+had+happened.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2012 at 12:58 PM ----------

Oh, yeah, btw, it was Winnie (not the Pooh).

From The Wonder Years? ;)

Danica-McKellar-danica-mckellar-11083468-480-600.jpg

Winnie (not the pooh). I thought so. That's a big quote in animal right circles and most charity groups I'd imagine.

Archived