Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Irvin to the Seahawks at 15

EersSkins05

I know there's plenty of other WVU fans on ES that probably went wild when Bruce Irvin's name was called by the Commish with the 15th pick in the 1st round.

Seems like Seattle fans aren't really sure what to make of the pick, but I guess you can't blame them. Not like they're going out of their way to watch a lot of Big East games out there and it's not like anyone saw Irvin going THAT soon.

But apparently Pete Carroll had his eye on Bruce since he was in junior college and Pete wanted to recruit him to USC:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawksblog/2018081264_videogmschneidercoachpetecarrolltalkaboutbruceirvin.html

I know one thing for sure, though: Bruce is going to get him some sacks in the NFL. NFL offensive tackles aren't trained to stop 250 pound guys going at 4.4 speed.

I like Irvin and think he was an underrated talent. But not that underrated.

Pete Carroll is busch league and comically bad at utilizing the draft. Irvin at 15 was a horrible reach. Carroll could have gotten him 15th in the second. He could have probably had him 15th in the third.

Maybe. Maybe not.

"Per a league source, at least seven teams had Irvin rated as one of the top 15 players available in the draft."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/at-least-seve-teams-had-bruce-irvin-in-top-15/

Bruceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 09:19 AM ----------

I like Irvin and think he was an underrated talent. But not that underrated.

Pete Carroll is busch league and comically bad at utilizing the draft. Irvin at 15 was a horrible reach. Carroll could have gotten him 15th in the second. He could have probably had him 15th in the third.

The texans came out and said they were going to take him since loosing Williams.... He wouldnt have gotten past the 49ers....

Secondly... the guy I doubt will be a bust... he is fast and quick and works hard......How does it say bust all over him ? because you have watched him ? or because he got charged with beating up a pizza delivery guy...............

Pete Carroll is an egotistical moron that wouldn't know how to build a team if it jumped up and bit him on the ass.

Hail.

There HAS to be something there for you to say that! Carroll is....well, I'm playing the wait and see game. I don't expect too much but you never know.

I'm cheering for Irvin. Pet peeve of mine is when people really dwell on mistakes a guy made. I've done stupid stuff I'm embarrassed about, so I always try to cheer for those guys. And I'm not trying to say I never judge, I'm sure you can dig up some posts where I've been accusatory. Just saying. And GHH, I wasn't trying to attack you just in case it came off that way, your post cracked me up. What's your reasoning for that? You sound like me (a UGA fan) talking about Auburn/Florida players, so I'm guessing you cheer for a USC rival?

I know one thing for sure, though: Bruce is going to get him some sacks in the NFL. NFL offensive tackles aren't trained to stop 250 pound guys going at 4.4 speed.

Actually, they are. Ever since Lawrance Taylor came into the league, coaches have been trying to find lock down LT's since the early 80s. I'm not saying he won't get sacks or he'll be a bust. What I'm saying is, they reached for a guy they could have gotton 10 picks later and while he won't suck, I wouldn't count on a great career for a 250 lb DE.

WVA homers just need to take the Davey Crockett hats off for a minute and not overate their players.

You don't reach "4.4 speed" without a sprinting head start.

Exactly. His initial burst will really be the biggest skill he'll need to master.

It's a risky pick, but supposedly they werent the only ones who wanted him badly. This move will forever follow Carroll.

Actually, they are. Ever since Lawrance Taylor came into the league, coaches have been trying to find lock down LT's since the early 80s. I'm not saying he won't get sacks or he'll be a bust. What I'm saying is, they reached for a guy they could have gotton 10 picks later and while he won't suck, I wouldn't count on a great career for a 250 lb DE.

WVA homers just need to take the Davey Crockett hats off for a minute and not overate their players.

Could have gotten him 10 picks later based on what? Your opinion? Because the Jets, picking immediately after the Seahawks, were apparently seriously considering taking Irvin, along with as many as 7 other teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/18881295

I guess there's more coonskin caps in NFL GM's offices than you realized. lol

You don't reach "4.4 speed" without a sprinting head start.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that most guys going 4.4 start off pretty fast too.

If you want 3-cone drill or shuttle drills, Irvin dominated that at the combine as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/31/sort/cones

Archived