Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All NEW RG3 ARTICLES ONLY THREAD--Updated with cool EA Sports interview video (post #33) (no pics etc.)---MET

(sorry mods, but the other thread seems to have been abandoned lol...so I'm gonna put all the links in this thread and keep the OP updated)

ESPN: Doubters drove RG3 to elevate game (from Warpath1041's original thread)

Someone else posted this on the RG3 thread, figured it should be here as well:

Griffin Lucks Out Being No. 2

The Redskins will draft Griffin. Griffin will be a day one starter. And Griffin will be the Rookie of the Year.

The guy who will be drafted ahead of him doesn’t stand a chance.

Support services

A rookie starting quarterback is only as good as his surrounding cast. Unfortunately, most rookie starters become rookie starters for a reason — they play for rebuilding teams which cannot surround them with quality talent.

Griffin and Luck, like most rookies, will be flanked by less-than-stellar offensive weapons. As Table 1 shows, however, the Redskins have some serviceable puzzle pieces in places. The Colts have Reggie Wayne and crossed fingers.

Third and gold: The story behind RG3's name is as good as his game

LONG BEFORE HE was known as a Roman numeral, 16-year-old Robby Griffin sat at the hospital bed of his terminally ill great-grandmother, 83-year-old Mattie Wright, who refused to let go of Robby's palm. She kept murmuring, "Robert Griffin ... Robert Griffin ... Robert Griffin." Out of respect, the teenager didn't pull away until she fell asleep.

On his way out of the hospital, Robby seemed pensive and asked his father why she had squeezed his hand so long. "She lost her son young -- my daddy, your grandfather -- and you remind her of him. You know who I'm talking about, right?"

Robert Griffin I.

bored at work... found a few mildly entertaining RG3 article from a while ago.

From High School

He was 6'3" back then :)

http://www.chron.com/sports/high-school/article/Lamar-Cons-will-have-hands-full-with-foe-s-QB-in-1842018.php

There are fast quarterbacks in Texas, but compared with Robert Griffin, the rest look as if they're running in quicksand.

1st Baylor Spring Game

http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=24396

and this bizarro world article that has nothing to do with OUR Robert Griffin and OUR Shanahan. Where Shanahan told Robert Griffin that he would kill his wife... WEIRD

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/access/61968747.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Jun+03%2C+1994&author=Paul+Langner%2C+Globe+Staff&pub=Boston+Globe+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&desc=Man+charged+with+wife's+fatal+beating+begins+trial&pqatl=google

Here is an article from cbs "Late criticism of RG3 merely the annual trip in the time machine"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18683831/late-criticism-of-rg3-merely-the-annual-trip-in-the-time-machine

Yes, indeed, here we go again. Last year, Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki wrote about Newton's "fake smile."

There was this from Nawrocki: "Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision -- does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery -- generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous -- has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law -- does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness -- is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

Newton sure did stink last year. He took that fake ass smile all the way to one of the best rookie seasons in league history.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

forbes.com: SUBWAY Inks Robert Griffin III As It's Newest Famous Fan

SUBWAY has signed former Baylor quarterback and 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III to an endorsement contract. RG3, as he is known, is to become SUBWAYS’s latest Famous Fan. RG3 is expected to be taken with the second overall pick in next week’s NFL draft, a slot the Washington Redskins currently hold, giving the quick service restaurant a solid “FAN” in the Washington, DC market. SUBWAY currently has over 25,000 locations in the United States.

Next week, SUBWAY will build an RG3 bust from its currently featured “Smokehouse BBQ Chicken” at a SUBWAY store in midtown Manhattan. Print ads will appear in Sports Illustrated and USA Today with commercial spots likely following.

Other SUBWAY famous fans include: Blake Giffin (Could make for an interesting commercial with a play on the Griffin last name), Apolo Ohno, Carl Edwards, CC Sabathia, Michael Phelps, Ryan Howard, Justin Tuck, Michael Strahan, Jay Glazer, Ndamukong Suh & Nastia Liukin.

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 01:55 PM ----------

foxsports.com: Griffin brushes off 'selfish' report

Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III, the expected second overall pick in next week's NFL Draft, rejected Thursday an anonymously sourced report that labeled him a selfish player.

"I think the people that know me — and even the people in the media have seen — know I'm not a selfish guy," Griffin told CBS Sports in Florida, where he is training at the Gatorade Sports Science Lab.

The claim by two unnamed NFL scouts appeared in a draft preview compiled by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Bob McGinn.

[...]The 22-year-old Baylor star said he realizes it is normal for rumors to circulate about players leading up the NFL Draft.

"You could say [i'm] surprised, but you never know," Griffin said. "It's just when the draft gets closer, everybody's going to try and find something wrong with you to try and pull you down, so I'm not going to sit here and argue that."

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 02:00 PM ----------

ROBERT GRIFFIN III: 14 Things You Need To Know About The Phenom Who Already Has NFL Junkies Drooling (slideshow)

no-big-schools-wanted-him-to-play-qb-in-college-he-was-ranked-under-athletes-not-quarterbacks.jpg

No big schools wanted him to play QB in college. He was ranked under "Athletes" not "Quarterbacks"

---------- Post added April-20th-2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

Robert Griffin III commits gaffe on Twitter

Robert Griffin III is one of the top two prospects in next week’s NFL draft.

Hopefully his accuracy on the field is better than it is with identifying players on the United States women’s soccer team.

Robert Griffin III @RGIII

Well....just met the U.S. Women's Soccer Team and @alexmorgan13 shook my hand and said she is a big fan #Awesome

Robert Griffin III @RGIII

@alexmorgan13 would love a follow and return the favor

@alexmorgan13

@RGIII I think u met @TobinHeath today but hopefully I'll see u around. Good luck in the draft!

@RGIII

@alexmorgan13 well I'm sure our paths will cross superstar

By the way, for any of you that don't know what either of these women look like:

37AA98EAA160403FB5F22C16B1675624.ashx?w=333&h=250302753.png

Tobin is on the left, Alex on the right.

Robert Griffin III learned early that he was destined to 'change the world of sports'

"WACO, Texas – The holy man raised his hands over the children that night. And he closed his eyes and prayed for them until at last Bishop Nate Holcomb reached the 10-year-old boy whose parents had joined the church three years before. And as Holcomb placed his palm on the head of young Robert Griffin III, he felt a surge he's never been able to adequately describe.

"The hand of God is upon him," he told the boy's parents. "And God wants to shoot him as an arrow from his quiver."

Then the pastor, who didn't much follow sports, had a vision.

"He will do it through athletics," he said........"

From this link

He's Mike Vick, but not as good a thrower.

I never understand the comparisons to Vick. Comparing their last two years in college, RG3 has 491 more passing attempts than Vick had, 4220 more yards than Vick, and only two more INT's. People want to make RG3 out to be a run-first QB when he's not.

Unfortunately people will compare RG3 to Vick for the rest of his career.

From this link

I never understand the comparisons to Vick. Comparing their last two years in college, RG3 has 491 more passing attempts than Vick had, 4220 more yards than Vick, and only two more INT's. People want to make RG3 out to be a run-first QB when he's not.

Well if nothing else I'm glad we found out who actually said it. Mandela Just made my **** list. :redpunch:

From this link

Yes they will ... until they start comparing Vick to RG3.

:)

:helmet: The Rook

Polian: Robert Griffin III presents an 'absolutely unique' threat

Robert Griffin III, the likely second-overall pick in next week's NFL draft, represents a new type of player to the league, former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian recently told The Washington Post.

"He presents a threat that we really haven't seen before," Polian said of the Baylor quarterback's arm and sprinter's speed.

Often compared to last year's top pick, dual-threat QB Cam Newton, Polian contrasted their two styles of play.

Griffin "is a world-class track man and as such, is a bit of a long-strider and a bit of a narrow-base guy, as opposed to Cam, who's an instinctive, natural football runner," Polian said.

"RG3 is not that," Polian added. "That said, he has enough shake to beat most defensive linemen. And once he sticks his foot in the ground and goes, it's gone baby, gone ... that's unique. He presents a threat that's absolutely unique."

Polian also lauded the 6-foot-3, 223-pound Griffin's arm: "If he pulls up to throw ... all he has to do is stand up and flick that wrist and the ball will go across the field 55, 50 yards in the wink of an eye -- on a rope, and it's accurate."

It was a play on the name that Heavy Jumbo jokingly gave the anonymous scout. Look at his post again. :ols:

I stole the name from the article :)

EDIT:

I get an "F" for reading comprehension :ols: I thought the author was calling the scout Mandela (why? who knows) when he was actually calling RG3 Mandela-ish.

RG3: I'll be 'the face of a franchise'

Robert Griffin III, widely expected to be taken No. 2 overall by the Washington Redskins in next week's NFL draft, says he expects to be "the face of a franchise."

The 22-year-old Baylor standout and Heisman Trophy winner made the comments in an interview with The Washington Post Sunday.

"After the draft — because that's really when life starts for the rookies — I'm excited to meet my new team, new coaches, get in a new city, figure out where I'm gonna live, figure out what the culture of that city is," said Griffin, who graduated from Baylor University with a degree in political science.

"I'm possibly gonna be a top two pick and gonna be the face of a franchise," he said, adding, "it's been a great ride, I'm really excited about the future."

Asked what his goals were for next season, Griffin stressed he wanted to make the team that drafts him better.

NYTimes.com: Why Griffin Could Be in Better Position With Redskins

When the N.F.L. starts its annual draft Thursday, Andrew Luck is expected to be the first overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts and Robert Griffin III, the Heisman Trophy winner, is expected to go second to the Washington Redskins.

Too bad the order can’t be reversed: Luck going to Washington and R. G. III going anywhere except to Washington, where Coach Mike Shanahan, once known as a quarterback guru, has become a quarterback killer. This is not to sentence Luck to hard time. But given his Stanford pedigree and more classic style, he would seem to have a far better chance of survival in Washington. Griffin, with his skills, needs more mentoring, and being indoors in Indianapolis would play to his strengths and prevent his confidence from being shattered.

Until last week, I was convinced that Griffin, the Baylor star, would struggle in Washington under Shanahan and his son Kyle, a former Houston Texans assistant who is the offensive coordinator.

After speaking with Tony Dungy, I’m convinced there’s hope. Dungy believes Griffin will flourish. In fact in a phone conversation last week, Dungy, the former Indianapolis coach, made a convincing argument that Washington is actually a better fit for R. G. III than Indianapolis is. When I argued that the Colts should draft Griffin, Dungy said he understood their rationale for choosing Luck, a three-year starter at Stanford.

“Luck has so much history,” he said. “If you play the percentages, Luck is probably the safe pick.”

[...]So if Luck is in Indianapolis, Griffin is in Washington. Donovan McNabb played quarterback in Washington, and he is not a Shanahan fan.

During an appearance on ESPN’s “First Take” last month, McNabb contended that Griffin would not be a good fit in Washington largely because of Shanahan’s refusal to adjust his system.

Dungy said he thought that McNabb was wrong and that Griffin, provided he was turned loose, would thrive in Shanahan’s offense. In fairness to Shanahan, Donovan was not the McNabb of old; he was simply an old McNabb. The issue in Washington was the disrespectful way Shanahan treated McNabb.

“I think he’ll do well there,” Dungy said, referring to Griffin. “He’s got improvisational skills, he’s got athletic ability, he’s smart, he’s got that arm that he can throw on the move — I mean, all the things that John Elway did — and will play great in his offense.”

..“If you look at his style and what their offense does,” Dungy said, “I think Griffin’s the perfect guy.”

Griffin and Luck also represent the latest argument over quarterbacking styles. R. G. III, like Cam Newton, McNabb, Michael Vick and Steve Young, is part of an evolution that has been resisted for decades.

“It’s going against the classic stereotype of what a quarterback is,” Dungy said before invoking Matt Leinart. “You look at a couple years when Vince Young and Leinart came out, and I don’t think there was anybody who would have thought that Vince Young would have played better than Leinart, but he did — and it was because of all of the other things, being able to move. There are guys who have this special athletic ability and people are willing to use it.”

Will Shanahan be willing? Dungy thinks so. “If you look at his style and what their offense does, Griffin may be the perfect person for Washington,” Dungy said. “He’s got improvisational skills, he’s got athletic ability, he’s smart, he’s got that arm where he can throw on the move, all the things that Elway and Jake Plummer did with Mike in Denver.

“I think he’ll be perfect for Mike’s offense, and I think there is going to be a ‘Hey, let’s turn ’em loose’ approach. They don’t have time to spoon-feed him and develop him that way. I think you’re going to see the best of Robert Griffin very quickly.”

Because he’s on the hot seat, Shanahan may be motivated to turn Griffin loose. But the greater pressure on Griffin and Luck comes from the performances last season of Newton with the Carolina Panthers and Andy Dalton with Cincinnati. They became the first pair of rookie quarterbacks to make the Pro Bowl in the same season.

Robert Griffin III learned early that he was destined to 'change the world of sports'

"WACO, Texas – The holy man raised his hands over the children that night. And he closed his eyes and prayed for them until at last Bishop Nate Holcomb reached the 10-year-old boy whose parents had joined the church three years before. And as Holcomb placed his palm on the head of young Robert Griffin III, he felt a surge he's never been able to adequately describe.

"The hand of God is upon him," he told the boy's parents. "And God wants to shoot him as an arrow from his quiver."

I've had enough. There is just way too much stupid out there to even attempt to combat.

I agree, because McNabb, who had an axe to grind, can't play , hates practice and wrist bands, because he said it it must be true. Please give me a break, until then everyone said Shanahan is great with QB's and he is, I am so sick of stupid people in the media

This article is a joke and an embarrassment. The line "the disrespectful way McNabb was treated in Washington" caught my attention. When Washington continually gets blamed for their handling of McNabb -- meanwhile Minnesota gets ignored as well as McNabb well-documented lack of work ethic -- an alarm bell goes off. Then, the writer writes Tony Dungy's analysis that Griffin was a good fit for Washington. And it hit me. I had to google the writer, and my suspicions were confirmed. This article is rife with Shanahan-is-a-racist undertones.

Black writer, defending a black QB, letting Minnesota's black coach off the hook (despite McNabb's utter failure there as well), and despite the litany of other evidence out there, convinced only by a black analyst that Griffin is a fit for Washington.

This article is a joke and an embarrassment. The line "the disrespectful way McNabb was treated in Washington" caught my attention. When Washington continually gets blamed for their handling of McNabb -- meanwhile Minnesota gets ignored as well as McNabb well-documented lack of work ethic -- an alarm bell goes off. Then, the writer writes Tony Dungy's analysis that Griffin was a good fit for Washington. And it hit me. I had to google the writer, and my suspicions were confirmed. This article is rife with Shanahan-is-a-racist undertones.

Black writer, defending a black QB, letting Minnesota's black coach off the hook (despite McNabb's utter failure there as well), and despite the litany of other evidence out there, convinced only by a black analyst that Griffin is a fit for Washington.

another thing that really bothers me is when they compare RG3 to other QB's it is always to other black QB's, why is that? RG3 is more like Rodgers than he is like Vick or Newton

another thing that really bothers me is when they compare RG3 to other QB's it is always to other black QB's, why is that? RG3 is more like Rodgers than he is like Vick or Newton

Because it is subconscious. The same reason why every white running back is compared to John Riggins, or every great white NBA player is compared to Larry Bird. I don't see the Vick/RGlll comparisons either, other than they're both black, play QB, and can run fast

Ummm, yeah Mr. Griffin, I would love to meet Alex Morgan too :silly:

---------- Post added April-23rd-2012 at 04:50 PM ----------

Because it is subconscious. The same reason why every white running back is compared to John Riggins, or every great white player is compared to Larry Bird. I don't see the Vick/RGll comparisons either, other than they're both black, play QB, and can run fast

I don't either. I keep saying Fran Tarkenton, who I loved.

I'm agnostic personally, but I can't help but get excited about all these damn articles. I hate all of you for setting the bar so high :ols:

Seriously,the thing that drives me completely bonkers about this entire ordeal is. It was the first year of Shanny and CO in Wash....We had to evaluate all of our current players with how they were goiing to fit into or system going forward ....

WE could not limit the growth of our entire offense just so 1 player would feel more comfortable. Yet analyst after analyst seems to side with mcnabb. Idiots.

Archived