Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Redskins sign safety Williams

HapHaszard

Actually that was a bit of a disaster. None of those 30-year old vets made an impact and they took playing time in preseason and early season away from younger guys.

Nothing wrong with older camp bodies but I'd rather they play young guys (we DO have a draft coming up) than older guys with no future.

At least he's a good character guy, but if he's got nothing to contribute I'd rather he be cut early in training camp than in week 2 like those RBs we had weighing us down 2 years back.

I agree about the odd signing of veteran running backs, it made no sense. Runningback is likely the position where a seasoned vet is LEAST likely to help you, it's a young mans position.

Safety, on the other hand, is a position that has numerous veteran players performing at a high level. Finding veteran depth at safety can only be a good thing.

Dont know this dude at all.

Tanard Jackson was released by the Bucs today. Living here in the Tampa area and seeing some of their games (when away from Tampa, due to black outs- haha) and seeing the news here and listening to some of the news talk radio.....he is a beast. Id lovbe him to reunit with Raheem in DC. He is a straight baller. He is aways around the ball and always seem to make the big plays. He is a hitter also.

Yes, he failed his physical, but he just has shoulder surgery a few months back, and couldnt have passed it anyway. He says his shoulder is feeling much better, the best it has in several years and he will be ready for camp. Id love to have him. JMO

He's a 2 time loser with the NFL's drug policy. One more and he's out of the league for life PLUS as you said he failed his physical. I think I'll pass on this guy.

Ryan Torrain. Other young guys we had in camp (I do not remember their names).

Well, I guess the fact that none of those young guys are on the roster now tells you something about that group.

I fail to see the benefit the Redskins gained by having guys like Larry Johnson and the other old guy who I forgot around during that time.

Well, first because we didn't have a running back, so you bring in players you feel can compete for the job. Second, you want veterans to go along with the young guys because veterans usually know what they are doing back there, which is what you need going into a camp. It takes time for a young player to get up to speed and get to the point where you feel comfortable putting him in the game on a regular basis. Sometimes, you need a stopgap until the player gets to that point.

BTW, it is far preferrable to have a young guy in there because he actually earned the job, rather than have a young guy in there because he's the only option.

I don't mind signing a veteran safety on the cheap to be thrown into the mix we have. It isn't like I see any of these guys as long-term solutions right now anyways.

2012 is to safeties as 2010 is to running backs.

:doh:

You know what I really like about this FO, though? They don't force the issue on any roster spot. It's like, if there are no really good long-term options for the team during any given offseason they won't just go break the bank and overpay so as to fill a hole. They didn't allow Laron Landry to dictate anything even though his departing, along with OJ's, leave glaring holes. They could've just threw money at them but they knew it wouldn't be worth it in the long-term, so they'll accept it as a weakness and just hope someone emerges. That way, we're never set back in a big way if a move doesn't pan out.

It does stink when we go into the season with an obvious weakness that can be exploited... but I'd say Safety is a position that isn't as significant as others and, therefore, you still could compete well so long as your front seven is masking it. The way I see it, this FO seems to be on top of things so well that they probably already know what Safeties they're going to target in the draft/Free Agency next year.

Oh crap, he's at that magic number that ES dreads so much, "30 years old"!!!

Que the Chicken Littles!

Don't they know we're supposed to be "stockpiling young talent" in the draft ONLY and never signing "an old, washed up 30-something"? Just what ARE they thinking!!!! Go sign a random guy off the street, and as long as he's under 30, he'll be a longterm solution because he'll magically get better with more playing time. And what about the "youth movement"?

sorry, just trying to fit all the ES cliches into one paragraph.

Does he have a pet monkey?

OK, being LL went to the Jest, and Otogue was finally removed from the field, someone has to be back there.

Too bad LL didn't work out, but it was getting frustrating to see him on IR, so I hope this guy, or someone else fills the spot nicely; it would be a shame to upgrade on offense and degress on defense...

:yes:

I saw that the Bucs released him today, immediately wanted him.

Yep. 26, I think. Still plenty of gas in the tank.

Didn't that guy pick Campbell off like 4 times in one game once? Not that it's saying much....

But yea, that guy can play.

Yep! There is a reason why Shanny/Bruce have signed more secondary players, than o-linemen. Unless he has his eye on some in the draft or something.

I'm sure we've got our eye on at least one corner and safety in the draft (hopefully the two in my mock, but that's just me)

I'm sure we've got our eye on at least one corner and safety in the draft (hopefully the two in my mock, but that's just me)

I hope so. I personally think our o-line is fine. (RT is our biggest need, but our new mobile QB should make our o-line look better than it is).

While our secondary has Josh Wilson (who I thought was our worst defender), DHall (can make plays, but can't really cover 1-1 man), Doughty (can't cover), DeJon Gomes (has potential), Kevin Barnes (who I actually like, when others don't), Brandyn Thompson (young, but I dunno if he can pan out), and Travon Bellamy (???).

There has gotta be a reason we have signed four new DBs (Brandon Merriweather, Cedric Griffin, Madieu Williams and Leigh Torrence) over one OL (James Lee).

Oh crap, he's at that magic number that ES dreads so much, "30 years old"!!!

Que the Chicken Littles!

Don't they know we're supposed to be "stockpiling young talent" in the draft ONLY and never signing "an old, washed up 30-something"? Just what ARE they thinking!!!! Go sign a random guy off the street, and as long as he's under 30, he'll be a longterm solution because he'll magically get better with more playing time. And what about the "youth movement"?

sorry, just trying to fit all the ES cliches into one paragraph.

You forgot....WTF Fletcher....How about Fletcher?...Hello you need to sign Fletcher.....Sign Fletcher you idiots....How can they be so stupid to forget to sign Fletcher....FLETCHER!!!!! I believe his name has to be attached to every other signing and news story about the Skins.

Archived