Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Washington's transformed offense (Insider article)

MattFancy

Thought this was a good read in regards to our new WRs and RG3.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7685648/robert-griffin-iii-new-wide-receivers-turn-washington-more-innovative-offense-nfl

It's encouraging to see the Redskins show some restraint in signing good players for less money if they fit this system well instead of throwing ridiculous money for a big name like Vincent Jackson. That's what they have done in the past. You could argue that Garcon got serious coin, but he likely would have gotten similar money in a few different places.

As for the offense, with a new quarterback who can really grow and mature with these guys, this will be fun to watch. And it could be better soon. Shanahan runs a zone-blocking run game with a lot of bootlegs and rollouts off play-action, and there are a lot of half-field reads that should speed up Griffin's development. That sets up perfectly for RG3, who can use his mobility to get outside the pocket. The video shows a player who is terrific at throwing on the run, so expect a lot of movement designed to create throwing lanes and also spring deep routes, as opposed to running lanes for short gains.

This offense requires precise routes, and there are a lot of crossing routes in the game plan. Garcon, especially, can be very productive at vertical seam routes where RG3 can throw back across the field, and Griffin has the arm strength to get it done. We likely will see a lot more multireceiver packages on offense with motions and shifts and a moving pocket. That can force defenses to play a lot of sub packages, which can open up the run game. In our new era of spread offenses in the NFL, look for the Redskins to join the parade of innovative passing schemes.

I think its interesting how the media views these moves. A bunch of them thought we overpaid Garcon and that he and Morgan won't make much an impact. Then you see articles like this where the writer actually did some research and has an informed view of how the Skins plan to use these guys. I cannot wait for the season to get here!

Every day as the draft gets closer and closer i get more and more excited about our team

You aren't the only one. I personally dont have high expectations for next year considering we'll have more new pieces including the most important being QB so honestly a 7-9 season is fine by me if we start to see that O take the next step. 2013 is the year I'm really looking at being the year this team takes off

This is the most encouraged I've been about the Redskins in a VERY long time. Players that fit the system and can grow together as a team! Shanallen have done an incredible job rebuilding the right way. Brighter days are on the not so distant horizon! Hail.

We've suffered for a long time...it sure seems like we are quickly approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't know how close we are, I expect all rookie QBs to have their bumps and bruises cam was the exception not the rule. With that being said, it's a real breath of fresh air, to see a light at the end of the tunnel. For once their is a cohesive plan that's being carried out by intelligent football minds, and I think as fans we should be very excited.

I think RG3 will take us to a place that we never thought was possible again after 20 years of mediocrity... That is being a perennial contender in the NFC... If teams like Detroit can turn it around reletively quickly, then why not us? and i expect RG to be better than Stafford.

I don't know how close we are, I expect all rookie QBs to have their bumps and bruises cam was the exception not the rule. With that being said, it's a real breath of fresh air, to see a light at the end of the tunnel. For once their is a cohesive plan that's being carried out by intelligent football minds, and I think as fans we should be very excited.

Absolutely. Logic dictates that this year should be strictly a development year for RGiiI. However, rothelisburger in Pittsburg and dalton last year in Cincinatti,,, it can certainly be done.

We are entering year three of the ZBS... Traditionally the year that ZBS teams get it. We've got a decent backfield, a relatively good defense,,, I don't know, next year could swing a lot of different ways.

One thing that I really like... We have a young team, and most importantly, a young team at all the key positions, QB, LT, WR, RB, and pass rush OLB

It is very realistic to think this band will be together another four years at least while other pieces are added, love just thinking about it

I dunno lately rookies have come in and done a decent job their first year.

Roethlisberger

Newton

Dalton

Flacco

Ryan

Sanchez

I'm not trying to say the Redskins won't show a significant improvement this year, I just want to temper my expectations. I'm very happy with what's been built, and if they put it all together this year great, if not I'll welcome watching what I expect to be a marked improvement in the level of football played, even if we're not in contention for division/playoffs.

I'm not trying to say the Redskins won't show a significant improvement this year, I just want to temper my expectations. I'm very happy with what's been built, and if they put it all together this year great, if not I'll welcome watching what I expect to be a marked improvement in the level of football played, even if we're not in contention for division/playoffs.

I don't think we'll win the Super Bowl or anything crazy. But I don't think the division is out of question. I mean we beat the #1 team in our division twice last year, lost to the Cowboys because of FGs twice, and the first Eagles game was decided by 7 points.

Absolutely. Logic dictates that this year should be strictly a development year for RGiiI. However, rothelisburger in Pittsburg and dalton last year in Cincinatti,,, it can certainly be done.

We are entering year three of the ZBS... Traditionally the year that ZBS teams get it. We've got a decent backfield, a relatively good defense,,, I don't know, next year could swing a lot of different ways.

One thing that I really like... We have a young team, and most importantly, a young team at all the key positions, QB, LT, WR, RB, and pass rush OLB

It is very realistic to think this band will be together another four years at least while other pieces are added, love just thinking about it

Precisely. Something most in the media will probably pick up on a year too late. But on offense:

QB: RGIII (22)

HB: Helu (23)

WR: Hankerson (23), Garcon (25), Morgan (25)

TE: Davis (24)

LT: Williams (23)

Our offense is one for the future.. Shanny has completely revamped it with young skill players with high ceilings at every major position

And on defense, as you mention, who else in the league has a pair of young stud pass rushers like Orakpo (25) and Kerrigan (23)? Maybe Denver with Dumervil and Von Miller, but I suppose that's it. If Jenkins (23) plays up to his potential as a dominating end, we could soon have a young explosive passing offense and a young dynamic pass rush. Recipe for long-term success in the NFL

Precisely. Something most in the media will probably pick up on a year too late. But on offense:

QB: RGIII (22)

HB: Helu (23)

WR: Hankerson (23), Garcon (25), Morgan (25)

TE: Davis (24)

LT: Williams (23)

Our offense is one for the future.. Shanny has completely revamped it with young skill players with high ceilings at every major position

And on defense, as you mention, who else in the league has a pair of young stud pass rushers like Orakpo (25) and Kerrigan (23)? Maybe Denver with Dumervil and Von Miller, but I suppose that's it. If Jenkins (23) plays up to his potential as a dominating end, we could soon have a young explosive passing offense and a young dynamic pass rush. Recipe for long-term success in the NFL

Don't forget the secondary is young too.

Wilson--27

Meriweather--28

Hall--29

This is the most encouraged I've been about the Redskins in a VERY long time. Players that fit the system and can grow together as a team! Shanallen have done an incredible job rebuilding the right way. Brighter days are on the not so distant horizon! Hail.

Could not have said it better. What is even more scary, is I did NOT expect THIS much improvement (Roster Wise) in a short period of time. I only ask this question which has not come up (or I am way behind)....what happens with our beloved Cooley?

I'm reminded of year 1 with Gibbs and Saunders. That offense was supposed to be innovative also. I remember that first game agains Minnesota, receivers in all sort of motion pre-snap. Watched us march downfield for a score on the first possession. Unfortunately that season didn't pan out so successfully for the offense. All that said, as a Redskin fan I remain optimistic that this year will be different. The glass is half full!

Damn I'm so excited to see this in action. I really think the planets are finally starting to align after years of misery.

Btw, thanks for posting these Insider articles. I always see them and then realize I need to pay to read the rest. :doh:

trade looks better and better each day. Look at the mess and other QB needy teams scrambling to grab someone after missing out....Just think of the Tebow to the redskins talk that would be going on right now if we didint make the trade.

Archived