Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins had to win the Robert Griffin III sweepstakes

themurf

griffin031112.jpg

(photo by Tony Gutierrez)

As you’ve no doubt heard by now, the Washington Redskins did the unthinkable — trading away anything and everything to the St. Louis Rams for the chance to land the most electrifying player in this year’s draft.

Rather than settling for lesser talent like Kyle Orton, Ryan Tannehill or whatever other lackluster options were out there, the Redskins parted ways with first-rounders in 2012, 2013 and 2014, as well as a second-rounder in 2012 for the chance to draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III and they aren’t looking back.

Anyone who heard my appearance on the LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes last Thursday obviously knows my stance on the subject. For those who missed it, here’s how I ended the segment:

“You can’t win the division, let alone be a contender in the NFC East without solidifying the quarterback position. With that in mind, can you really skimp or settle or talk yourself into Orton or Tannehill because you didn’t want to pay the price for the one guy who looks like a legitimate franchise quarterback? I don’t think this is the time to play it safe and sit on your cards. I think this is the time to put your chips in the middle and go all in.”

Clearly, the current regime heard my take and it was enough to convince them to make one of the boldest moves in franchise history. (Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself.)

While nearly everyone I’ve heard from since the trade went down has been ecstatic, there are a few skeptical fans out there who aren’t thrilled with the move. Just last week I wrote something tackling the most common arguments against trading for Griffin, but there’s a new stance that I can’t say I ever saw coming.

These disgruntled fans are attempting to make the single dumbest argument I’ve ever heard. It goes something like this:

“The Redskins won three Super Bowls without ever having a true franchise quarterback, so why on earth would they give up so much for any quarterback? Why not stick to the ‘Redskins way’ and build up the offensive line and receiver positions instead?”

While the answer should be self explanatory to anyone paying attention, I’ll go ahead and tackle it anyway.

Simply put, the ‘Redskins way’ doesn’t work anymore. It hasn’t in 20 years. Hell, even Joe Gibbs couldn’t win in today’s NFL trying to play Joe Gibbs football and he’s the reason those three Lombardi Trophies are on display at Redskins Park.

In case you forgot, the Redskins have gone just 136-183-1 since winning their last Super Bowl back in 1991.

During that span, 21 different quarterbacks* started at least one game for Washington (and lets not forget the nine coaching changes, countless offensive coordinators, etc.)

*Since some of you are a glutton for punishment, here’s the laundry list of mediocre quarterbacks ‘Skins fans have had to suffer through since the glory days officially ended: Mark Rypien, Rich Gannon, Cary Conklin, Heath Shuler, John Friesz, Gus Frerotte, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Danny Wuerffel, Patrick Ramsey, Shane Matthews, Tim Hasslebeck, Mark Brunell, Todd Collins, Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck.

During the two decades of futility, the franchise has tried high-priced free agents as well as bargain-basement additions. They’ve traded for experienced veterans and used first-round draft picks in hopes of finding “Mister Right.” But at the end of the day, all the Redskins have to show for it is five winning seasons in 20 years.

Think about that for a second: the Redskins have finished a season with a winning record just five times since ‘92. And they’ve made it to the playoffs just four times and have just three postseason wins during the same timeframe.*

*For those wondering, the three quarterbacks who earned a playoff win for Washington over the last two decades are Rypien in ‘92, Johnson in ‘99 and Brunell in ‘05. And yes, I’m as amazed as you are that they still don’t have a wing dedicated to them in Canton.

Conversely, the Redskins have finished with double digit losses in 10 of the last 20 seasons while winning the NFC East just once (1999). If that’s not bad enough, they’ve finished in last place in five of the last six seasons.

Anyone still think the ‘Redskins way’ is the best method to build a franchise? I mean, honestly, what’s the worst that happens if Griffin does become a bust — the team continues to stink? The worst possible outcome is he doesn’t pan out and the team remains as bad as they are now. If he’s actually half as good as advertised, the burgundy and gold are set at quarterback for the next decade.

The Redskins haven’t been anything close to an elite franchise for 20 years. At least this way they’re more enjoyable than suffering through another minute of Grossman or Beck behind center. The Redskins have never had a player as dynamic and/or exciting as RGIII. They’ve never had a player at the game’s most important position who can do what Griffin does.

Forget the Heisman Trophy. He was the most exciting player in college football last season and single-handedly made Baylor relevant on a national level. Considering what Waco, Texas used to be known for before Griffin’s arrival, I’d say this kid is pretty special.

That’s why it was time for the front office to do something drastic.

Click here for the full article.

Technically the worst case scenario would be:

RGIII becomes a bust (transitioning to the nfl, or injury), then 1/2 seasons wasted with no 1st round picks.

RGIII does look really good though by the looks of it. Just hope they are 100% right on the call.

I still don't understand why some people state that we traded away 3 #1 picks.

Technically we're only parting with 3 picks (a 2nd in 2012 , a 1st in 2013 and a 1st in 2014. We still have our #1 pick for 2012 .

Some see 3-1st and 1-2nd , so 4 picks used on the guy.

Some see net loss of picks which is 2-!st and 1-2nd .

I see the value of franchise QB weighed against the net 3 picks lost which, if it pans out, is not too shabby.

Technically we're only parting with 3 picks (a 2nd in 2012 , a 1st in 2013 and a 1st in 2014. We still have our #1 pick for 2012 .

Yeah. We are going to take a QB in the draft anyway (even if it's developmental) if we didn't have to trade up.

We lose the 2 1sts and 1 2nd from the swap to take RG3.

Otherwise, we use the 1st on Tannehill or 2nd likely on Weedon. So either way, we use a pick on a QB.

So pretty much only the differential matters. Is franchise potential worth the 3 extra picks to move up?

I would have to say yes, given the state of the NFL today and the difference having a top 5-10 QB makes from having a QB in the 10-20 range.

I was thinking back in the day,and I really do now,of the what could have been had the Redskins had a "Franchise" QB during Joe's first tenure. Little greedy I know,to have won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's,but still I wondered and wonder. :) That was really the case when I first heard stories many years ago about the Redskins looking at getting Elway near the tail end of Joe's first run. Imagine the team with one of the greats or close to greats of that era. Sigh. Now it looks like this team has that guy. We hope we do anyway. Worth it to me no matter what. Especially these days in the NFL. Doesn't look like that will change too much any time soon so this could really be a great deal. :)

Good article. Solid discussion of our historical failings at QB.

But yeah, Griffin had to be won. Shanahan, despite his 5 year contract, has no guarantee of it, beyond Danny's word (and I don't trust that). If QB didn't get solved this year, he'd probably have one final year to fix it completely, and that's just too tall an order to bet our franchise's future on. By getting RGIII he has two years at least to work the team into consistent winners, and two years to mold RGIII.

Even if RGIII and whoever we got to start next year in 2013 (Tannehill, Weedon, or maybe T. Wilson or G. Smith) were on the same level, the difference between molding RGIII for two years vs. molding a lesser prospect or trying to mold a 1st rounder in 1 year, is huge. Having two years to mold Griffin gives Shanahan a good chance to stick around and have a winning team in 2013. The other options much less so, since they effectively have a 1 year handicap.

Good points.

I agree that people need to stop being hung up on the Gibbs era of doing things. Besides imagine if the Redskins traded up and drafted Marino or Elway in 83. I bet they would have more than those three trophies.

Also let's look at "the Redskin way" of that era. Beathard routinely traded away future firsts. Usually for a player (Rogers,Marshall,Riggs) or to gain an extra second rounder in the current draft.

So using first round picks as chips to gain a single player is nothing new. What is new is we finally used them for a shot at a franchise QB and I think it's about damn time.

Nice write up Murf. I for one am happy we got the number 2 pick. I am pretty sure we are getting Griffin, but you never know, and getting Andrew Luck as a consolation prize....Nice!

And while I'm a huge fan of RGIII because of his military background and the way he carries himself on and off the field, I'd be perfectly fine with "settling" for Andrew Luck.

No, they are parting ways with four of their draft picks. And in return, they are getting one back from the Rams.

Good points.

I agree that people need to stop being hung up on the Gibbs era of doing things.

I love Joe Gibbs as much as anyone, but look at his record during his second stint in Washington. If even he couldn't recapture the magic of his first run, then why on earth should every other coach who takes over the burgundy and gold try to use an outdated mindset that hasn't worked in 20 years?

I was thinking back in the day,and I really do now,of the what could have been had the Redskins had a "Franchise" QB during Joe's first tenure. Little greedy I know,to have won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's,but still I wondered and wonder. :) That was really the case when I first heard stories many years ago about the Redskins looking at getting Elway near the tail end of Joe's first run. Imagine the team with one of the greats or close to greats of that era. Sigh. Now it looks like this team has that guy. We hope we do anyway. Worth it to me no matter what. Especially these days in the NFL. Doesn't look like that will change too much any time soon so this could really be a great deal. :)

I always think about the '83 draft, and how enamored Beathard was with Marino. Could you imagine if say, we lost that Super Bowl against Miami, only to end up with Dan Marino as our consolation prize?

I know there aren't any guarantees, but Marino throwing to the Posse and behind the Hogs? Are you ****ing kidding me??

Also, love the article Murf! Love this final line:

Sure, some doubters will say the team’s latest move ensures the Redskins once again take home the title of “offseason champs.” But the way I see it, if Griffin is half as good in the pros as he was in college, this will be their last offseason championship for a long, long time.

My question is this: Why throw the house in at this point (referring to Allen and Mike). Why not the last two years?? When the Rams took Sam Bradford, would the Rams have taken less that year to move up? Last year would the Panthers have taken less to move up? What about Andy Dalton. It surely would not have taken three number ones and a number two to get him. Why when the price is at the highest do you decide to make the biggest move in league history?? I hear you.......RGIII is much better. Really? How many NFL games has he played? I am glad we are getting a QB but I am not happy about the price when I think it could have been done for less if you had put your mind to it earlier. We are moving up 4 spots. You could have moved up 20 spots for this price!!

I think the proper way to think about it is that we're using 4 picks to acquire a player, whether or not one of those picks is used to actually select him. We can't choose anyone else with any of those picks. In other words, we can't say we gave up the same number of 1st rounders as the Raiders did to acquire Carson Palmer.

Go ask a Dallas fan who has actually been to Texas (not easy to find, I admit) how “excited” they are about having their favorite team face Griffin twice a year. If they’re anything like my buddies from the Lone Star State, they still haven’t fully recovered from RGIII’s beatdown of the University of Texas last season.

One of my good friends is a huge Cowboys fan from Texas. After the trade went down I got this text message: "**** you, **** you **** you. How am I supposed to root against my favorite college player ever?". Followed by, "Why didn't the skins just sign Manning so I could continue hating them. **** you." :ols:

My question is this: Why throw the house in at this point (referring to Allen and Mike). Why not the last two years??

In his first year, Mike Shanahan opted to try and win with an established veteran. That didn't work. Last year, he opted to spend the least amount of money on the quarterback position of any team in football while trying to upgrade other areas of need. We saw how that went. So after trying it a few different ways, the current regime obviously felt that it was time to identify "their guy" in this year's draft and do whatever was necessary to land him.

One of my good friends is a huge Cowboys fan from Texas. After the trade went down I got this text message: "**** you, **** you **** you. How am I supposed to root against my favorite college player ever?". Followed by, "Why didn't the skins just sign Manning so I could continue hating them. **** you." :ols:

This is pretty much what I've continued to hear from my buddies. They're either fans of him who have to now root against him or they hated him because of what he did to the Longhorns, etc. during his college career. Either way, it's been a great bonus to see so many Cowboys fans stomping their feet and having a hissy fit because they agree this guy is a special talent.

This is pretty much what I've continued to hear from my buddies. They're either fans of him who have to now root against him or they hated him because of what he did to the Longhorns, etc. during his college career. Either way, it's been a great bonus to see so many Cowboys fans stomping their feet and having a hissy fit because they agree this guy is a special talent.

Yea, her Dad played football at Baylor and she's actually exceptionally bright for a Dallas fan. Another buddy of mine is from Texas and was a longhorn himself, usually he trash talks every move the skins make, but he's been incredibly silent on the subject so far. He's obviously already experienced getting whooped by RG3 first hand.

This was a great article and just to give people food for thought lets think back to that great 1983 year of the QBs. What if Joe even after winning the SB decided you know what J-T is not the QB for me, traded him out for a late 1st and picked up the player who was selected ONE SPOT before D. Green. You guys know who that was? Dan Marino. How many SBs do we win then with the type of line we had in the 80s, Gibbs as a coach solid to great D etc etc with Marino under center for SEVENTEEN years? I dare say our 3 trophies would have been only a warm up. In fact after reading this article I believe we had a good enough team where a great QB like Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Bernie Kosar etc.. we actually may have screwed up a team that was good enough to win 8 trophies

Good points.

I agree that people need to stop being hung up on the Gibbs era of doing things. Besides imagine if the Redskins traded up and drafted Marino or Elway in 83. I bet they would have more than those three trophies.

I actually think we "don't" win the other 2 SBs. As good as Elway was, he brought a different style to the QB position in his younger days that actually didn't fit with the offense we developed. Elway turned into that QB when he won his last 2 SBs, letting the running game and defense do their thing.

---------- Post added March-12th-2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

My question is this: Why throw the house in at this point (referring to Allen and Mike). Why not the last two years?? When the Rams took Sam Bradford, would the Rams have taken less that year to move up? Last year would the Panthers have taken less to move up? What about Andy Dalton. It surely would not have taken three number ones and a number two to get him. Why when the price is at the highest do you decide to make the biggest move in league history?? I hear you.......RGIII is much better. Really? How many NFL games has he played? I am glad we are getting a QB but I am not happy about the price when I think it could have been done for less if you had put your mind to it earlier. We are moving up 4 spots. You could have moved up 20 spots for this price!!

1) It's been noted (through media) that Shanahan asked the Rams about the Bradford pick and they said no. Rams weren't trading the #1 overall.

2) Ditto. The #1 pick by the Panthers was never available. I live here in Charlotte and they were not even listening to offers.

3) Dalton would not fit this offense. We play a high-low west coast offense. Dalton is not mobile nor does he have a strong arm.

4) You are pissing and moaning about giving up picks for RG3, yet you asked why we didn't do it for Sam or Cam (I am). Hypocritical if you ask me. We had the 4th pick when Bradford was available and only had 5 picks in that entire draft. We had no ammo. We had the 10th pick last year, had a QB on the table and traded down. I think that scenerio worked out much better than trading for Newton that had more questions on his resume coming out as the overall #1, then Griffin does at this point.

5) Stop complaining, just to complain.

U know I admit that I was against trading up, still don't know if its the best idea. But I didn't realize the feeling I would have knowing there is a good chance we have a franchise QB. I mean what if he does something like Newton does..... we will be awesome.

We should just sign V-Jax, Grubbs, a top CB

Resign Flecther, Landry

We have the money and there should be no holding back trying to put RG3 in a good situation

I actually think we "don't" win the other 2 SBs. As good as Elway was, he brought a different style to the QB position in his younger days that actually didn't fit with the offense we developed. Elway turned into that QB when he won his last 2 SBs, letting the running game and defense do their thing.

---------- Post added March-12th-2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

1) It's been noted (through media) that Shanahan asked the Rams about the Bradford pick and they said no. Rams weren't trading the #1 overall.

2) Ditto. The #1 pick by the Panthers was never available. I live here in Charlotte and they were not even listening to offers.

3) Dalton would not fit this offense. We play a high-low west coast offense. Dalton is not mobile nor does he have a strong arm.

4) You are pissing and moaning about giving up picks for RG3, yet you asked why we didn't do it for Sam or Cam (I am). Hypocritical if you ask me. We had the 4th pick when Bradford was available and only had 5 picks in that entire draft. We had no ammo. We had the 10th pick last year, had a QB on the table and traded down. I think that scenerio worked out much better than trading for Newton that had more questions on his resume coming out as the overall #1, then Griffin does at this point.

5) Stop complaining, just to complain.

1) Yeah, Mike asked the Rams about Sam Bradford but what did he offer. Did he up the price of (3 number 1s and a number 2) or what did he offer?? The truth is we do not know.

2) You never know what the Panthers would take. I live in Charlotte as well but that does not mean I know what the Panthers are thinking. From what I remember, it went down to the wire wondering if he was worth the pick. So who knows, a three way trade that moved the Panthers to number 2 or number 3 could have worked.

3) Dalton would not fit this offense but Beck and Rex does?? I think he would have done a lot better than what we currently have.

4) Not hypocritical at all. These guys get paid millions of dollars to make the best decisions for the team. If QB is truly the position that is going to turn it around for us then why not make the deal the first year you come in. Why wait three years??

5) Get a GM position and your opinion will carry more weight. Otherwise, it is just like mine......an opinion. And to put icing on the cake, our GM makes the biggest trade in NFL history and when asked about it he says "Well we all did not want to pay as much as we did for our houses but we like living in them" or something similar. This is the answer after making that type of trade.....really, that's the best line you come up with. That's a good blueprint if you ask me....

Archived