Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins had to win the Robert Griffin III sweepstakes

themurf

In his first year, Mike Shanahan opted to try and win with an established veteran. That didn't work. Last year, he opted to spend the least amount of money on the quarterback position of any team in football while trying to upgrade other areas of need. We saw how that went. So after trying it a few different ways, the current regime obviously felt that it was time to identify "their guy" in this year's draft and do whatever was necessary to land him.

Well, if he thought the first, then he's not as smart as I thought he was. I can't see anyone coming into the team in 2010 and thinking they could win with that group. The trade for McNabb just seemed so far off the reservation at the time.

I view this as the move Shanahan had no choice but to make. After butchering the selection of QBs for the last two years, he has to come away with something this year. That was obvious with the brief folly that was the pursuit of Manning. I'm hoping that this ends up being a smart football decision, and not an act of desperation. As I've said before, Shanahan's tenure will be defined by this selection.

I just hope we can build a team around him.

I've been reading other forums as well and lots of fans from other teams think this was a stupid move, set aside most of the Browns fans.

But who gives a damn what they think, we knew what we needed to get this franchise moving forward and a QB was like 20 years overdue. So you'll can kiss our natural arses after RGIII put on the speed burners to the endzone.

Okay where was I.

Anyone here thinking this was a bad move doesn't know football or isn't a true Redksin fan okay. Sure we gave up I say atleast a extra 1st if anything.

But this had to be done folks, wasn't no franchise QB going to fall into our laps with the skill set of RGIII. We were picking high anyway and hoepfully this will be the last year for some time picking in the top 10.

If RGIII is the real deal, we are set for the next 10 years. No more looking for a QB after years of coming up short in that area. We now can build everything around the QB for once.

Thank God..

Archived