Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Fantasy Baseball Thread

MoeRedskins

Easy - Morse.

Morse SHOULD produce a near .300 clip with power all season long. If Werth becomes the Werth I knew in Philly, and ANY improvement out of the leadoff spot, his numbers will go up (and have a healthy Zim batting in front or behind).

Harper - most likely late call up. Expect struggles with MLB pitching. The Nats line up is weak after the 5 hole, and unless he's slotted in the 5 hole, don't expect RBI or Run opportunities for him like Morse.

I think the million dollar question for me is where does Strausberg go????

I'm hoping for a late 1st round spot and I'n snagging him in low teens.

Take your homer glasses off. I do my own little ranking system (Put a few together, and edit myself), and i have 21 pitchers before him:

Hallady, Verlander, Kershaw, Lee, Hernandez, Hamels, Weaver, Lincecum, Haren, Greinke, Price, Sabathia, Cain, Lester, Gallardo, Shields, Wilson, Bumgarner, Kennedy, Pineda, Romero

Take your homer glasses off. I do my own little ranking system (Put a few together, and edit myself), and i have 21 pitchers before him:

Hallady, Verlander, Kershaw, Lee, Hernandez, Hamels, Weaver, Lincecum, Haren, Greinke, Price, Sabathia, Cain, Lester, Gallardo, Shields, Wilson, Bumgarner, Kennedy, Pineda, Romero

I agree except for Pineda. Want to see more of him in ST first. Apparently his velocity is down some from last year.

I agree except for Pineda. Want to see more of him in ST first. Apparently his velocity is down some from last year.

I did not know the velocity thing, thanks! However, I figured him having CC in front of him may help - although NY adds some pressure. But the Offense will help (in his 10 losses last year, Mariners averaged 2.3 runs/game - compared to a meager 3.5 runs a game total when Pineda started)

I did not know the velocity thing, thanks! However, I figured him having CC in front of him may help - although NY adds some pressure. But the Offense will help (in his 10 losses last year, Mariners averaged 2.3 runs/game - compared to a meager 3.5 runs a game total when Pineda started)

Definitely on a better offensive team. But yeah keep an eye on his velocity. Last year it was 93-94. So far in ST I've heard its around 90-91. Which still isn't bad, but doesn't seem right. It is early though so it could go back up.

Definitely on a better offensive team. But yeah keep an eye on his velocity. Last year it was 93-94. So far in ST I've heard its around 90-91. Which still isn't bad, but doesn't seem right. It is early though so it could go back up.

well i understand around 2 MPH - to get a real good feel you should go back to last spring training and see what he hit, if possible.

1. He did this last year, and he's just not coming in camp ready to go

2. He didn't do this last year, and something is up...

well i understand around 2 MPH - to get a real good feel you should go back to last spring training and see what he hit, if possible.

1. He did this last year, and he's just not coming in camp ready to go

2. He didn't do this last year, and something is up...

Apparently Keith Law said it was down from this point last year. But I wouldn't worry too much until the end of the month.

I'll put Doc, Verlander, Lee, Kersahaw, Weaver, Sabathia, Hamels, Lincecum, Hernndez J. Johnson ahead of him. After that, he has more upside than everyone else.

I do worry that he'll not be there in Sept. But, last week is not fantasy anyway and he'll likely be there for your playoffs. Thus he's just outside top 10...

We shall see. And I'm a die hard Bosox fan, so don't claim homer call. Kid is true talent

He is gonna be a K machine and I think easily hits 15 wins this year with ERA under 3.00

---------- Post added March-10th-2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

Does velocity matter?

Ask Phil hughes. just a little bit of history repeating itself. if it isn't up by late March...red flags!!!

id easily rank stras in front of pineda. the upside is just too great there.

while pineda should get a good amount of wins, people forget that the al east sucks to pitch in, and safeco is a huge difference from the yankees stadium, so id take a good look at era vs. wins and how they are scored in your league.

also, i would be very cautious of picking up a pitcher, especially a young pitchers whose velocity drops during spring training.

pineda will be overdrafted just because he's on the yankees, and given the other details, id pass on him this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I need your help. This is my first year playing fantasy baseball, I got invited to a keeper league my brother has been in.

I'm taking over a previous manager's team so I need to keep 1 pitcher and 1 hitter from last year's squad. It's a little trickier now, the league is based on an auction draft with a years budget of 260.00

This is what I'm working with, I need help deciding on the two keepers

Cano - $51

Tulowitzki - $57

Alex Avila - $7

Smoak - $7

Michael Young - $17

BJ Upton - $25

Carlos Lee - $15

Austin Jackson - $4

Granderson - $12

Hunter - $10

Helton - $7

Damon - $7

Kuber - $7

Kershaw - $33

Cahill - $4

Brian Wilson - $16

Clippard - $7

Ian Kennedy - $4

Pauley - $7

Correia - $7

Dillon Gee - $7

Pavano - $11

Britton - $7

Buchholz - $19

4th pick in the draft, 13 team league. Pretty much a noob.

I figure I'll just take whoever is left between braun/pujols/kemp/cabrera. But, how concerned are you (or should I be) about Braun and the juice? If he's the one left, do you take him over Bautista or Tulo?

4th pick in the draft, 13 team league. Pretty much a noob.

I figure I'll just take whoever is left between braun/pujols/kemp/cabrera. But, how concerned are you (or should I be) about Braun and the juice? If he's the one left, do you take him over Bautista or Tulo?

I don't think its the juice that would be the problem. Losing Fielder is going to hurt his numbers. Bautista might not be a bad pick at 4.

Alright guys, I need your help. This is my first year playing fantasy baseball, I got invited to a keeper league my brother has been in.

I'm taking over a previous manager's team so I need to keep 1 pitcher and 1 hitter from last year's squad. It's a little trickier now, the league is based on an auction draft with a years budget of 260.00

This is what I'm working with, I need help deciding on the two keepers

ulo is valued at $57 because he’s one of the premier SS’s, with a decreasing field. I’d pass on him with that price tag, personally. But I think – a STEAL – absolute STEAL is Granderson. 41 bombs last year, plays in the bandbox Yankee Stadium, has protection hitting all around him. Keep him for $12 in a heartbeat.

I wouldn’t mind keeping Cano over him, but Grandy is a steal.

And speaking of Steals – Nab Kennedy for $4

So by taking Granderson (bank on 30+ bombs – lots of run production), and Kennedy (Bank on 3.3 ERA and 15 wins), you still have $244 to spend (Avg $11 per player if keeping 24 on roster), so you can get those high price free agents.

If you kept the two best (IMO – Cano/Kershaw – you already have 84 gone leaving you 176 (Avg $8 per player)

So I had my draft yesterday morning and I think I did ok. Yahoo standard scoring, rotisserie, and I was the 11th pick in a 12 man league.

Here is who I ended up with. The draft went 23 rounds, using the snake order. I have listed my pics by round (and pick # is after their name).

What do you think?

1. Jacoby Ellsbury (11)

2. Jose Reyes (14)

3. Josh Hamilton (35)

4. Matt Cain (38)

5. Brandon Phillips (59)

6. Michael Morse (62)

7. Joe Mauer (83)

8. John Axford (86)

9. J.J. Putz (107)

10. Brian Wilson (110)

11. Chris Carpenter (131)

12. Ryan Madson (134)

13. Tim Hudson (155)

14. Anibal Sanchez (158)

15. Chipper Jones (179)

16. Jhonny Peralta (182)

17. Mark Trumbo (203)

18. Francisco Cordero (206)

19. Aubrey Huff (227)

20. Mark Buerhle (230)

21. Ryan Vogelson (251)

22. Carlos Pena (254)

23. John Mayberry (275)

edit..the only pick in retrospect that I wish I could have a do-over on was picking Huff. Crossing fingers that he has a bounceback year (especially since the offense doesn't need him to produce).

ulo is valued at $57 because he’s one of the premier SS’s, with a decreasing field. I’d pass on him with that price tag, personally. But I think – a STEAL – absolute STEAL is Granderson. 41 bombs last year, plays in the bandbox Yankee Stadium, has protection hitting all around him. Keep him for $12 in a heartbeat.

I wouldn’t mind keeping Cano over him, but Grandy is a steal.

And speaking of Steals – Nab Kennedy for $4

So by taking Granderson (bank on 30+ bombs – lots of run production), and Kennedy (Bank on 3.3 ERA and 15 wins), you still have $244 to spend (Avg $11 per player if keeping 24 on roster), so you can get those high price free agents.

If you kept the two best (IMO – Cano/Kershaw – you already have 84 gone leaving you 176 (Avg $8 per player)

Ahh damn, saw this a bit late. I had to get my two selections in for the draft tomorrow.

I went with Tulo and Kershaw

Ahh damn, saw this a bit late. I had to get my two selections in for the draft tomorrow.

I went with Tulo and Kershaw

No problem. I like Kershaw - but try and grab those other 2 for cheap. An average of 10.83 per player is low - are you guys still keeping 24?

But i like kershaw - and Tulo, the positvie (i went right to the negative of price) is he is a true #1 in a field that is shrinking (now minus han ram)

---------- Post added March-21st-2012 at 09:33 PM ----------

So I had my draft yesterday morning and I think I did ok. Yahoo standard scoring, rotisserie, and I was the 11th pick in a 12 man league.

Here is who I ended up with. The draft went 23 rounds, using the snake order. I have listed my pics by round (and pick # is after their name).

What do you think?

edit..the only pick in retrospect that I wish I could have a do-over on was picking Huff. Crossing fingers that he has a bounceback year (especially since the offense doesn't need him to produce).

I loved your first 7 picks of the draft – but then is when I got quizzical – so I hope you don’t take my questions as offense, just curious! Maybe there really wasn’t anyone there?

How many relievers do you start – you drafted 5? And 3 back to back to back?

And your starting OF’er was picked after your 5th reliever?

And Trumbo – have you heard something? Because I don’t see him hitting the field much, especially if Morales comes back.

I usually run 5 relievers out there each day (which is good for saves, k's per inning). There are 2 SP, 2 RP, and 3P spots you can start each day.

As for how they were picked, there might have been better value - but I didn't see it. On the Trumbo pick - I guess I erred there. I didn't realize he had lost his spot *doh*.

---------- Post added March-21st-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

I'm really hoping Mayberry has a breakout year and makes me look like a genius.

;)

No problem. I like Kershaw - but try and grab those other 2 for cheap. An average of 10.83 per player is low - are you guys still keeping 24?

But i like kershaw - and Tulo, the positvie (i went right to the negative of price) is he is a true #1 in a field that is shrinking (now minus han ram)

---------- Post added March-21st-2012 at 09:33 PM ----------

I think so, is there a particular draft strategy that works with an auction draft?

Archived