Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com (via twitter) - Fred Davis tagged--MET **UPDATED** Tender exclusive rights to FA Gano and Lichtensteiger

c4man5282

Fred Davis - TE - Redskins

Redskins assigned the franchise tag to TE Fred Davis.

One of the likelier franchise players to play the 2012 season under his one-year tag, Davis set career highs in receptions (59) and yards (796) last year while scoring three touchdowns despite missing the final four games due to a suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Davis, 26, will be eligible to play all 16 games in 2012. While the Redskins may upgrade their wide receiver corps this offseason, Davis will remain a top-eight tight end target in fantasy leagues. He often plays in the slot and out wide, and is one of the top pass catchers at his position in the NFL.

Source: ESPN 980 Washington Mar 2 - 1:38 PM

hahaha

FauxJohnMadden Faux John Madden

Redskins franchise tag TE Fred Davis. Press conference scheduled for 4:20

this one got a chuckle outta me as well

this offseason will be a historic one for the redskins one way or the other but the kool aid tastes fine from where I am sitting

HAIL

Yep.. Didn't he threaten to sit out or something if we intended to keep him after we franchised him?

Something like that. He was adamant that he was done in DC, regardless of the fact that we were bringing in Joe Gibbs & Gregg Williams.

The rumor was Champ was cheating on his wife with an intern at the Washington Post (or some other media outlet, might have even been Redskins PR). She demanded they moved out of DC or she went public and sued. No clue on how factual that was, but that was what was rumored at least.

I hope we don't.

Im sure u said that about Carlos, he sure did make you eat crow. Some of you guys never learn

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

So when is Landry going to get his walking papers?

Im sure u said that about Carlos, he sure did make you eat crow. Some of you guys never learn

He's unwilling to take a 1-year performance based contract, at least that's the word. Why would you pay him for more than one year when the guys struggled to get on the field? And Carlos, he simply did not want to be here, and he made that very clear in the last two years playing here. As someone else noted, Carlos's numbers were inflated becuase he was basically the nickelback in SanFran and caught INT's over the middle, he was no longer the #1 guy, more like the #3.

Is it possible that he will be part of a trade package with picks, to the Rams for their 1st rounder aka RG3?

No.

Rams are3-6 mil under the Cap & have 21 Free Agents to figure out if they're going to keep or not.

He's unwilling to take a 1-year performance based contract, at least that's the word. Why would you pay him for more than one year when the guys struggled to get on the field? And Carlos, he simply did not want to be here, and he made that very clear in the last two years playing here. As someone else noted, Carlos's numbers were inflated becuase he was basically the nickelback in SanFran and caught INT's over the middle, he was no longer the #1 guy, more like the #3.

Moving inside to the slot in nickel packages doesn't make a corner the #3 corner. I don't know where fans get this perception that you just stick your third best corner over the slot and call it a day. It's a completely different technique. Many teams' top reciever moves into the slot or plays multiple positions. Moss does it, so does Welker.

When Springs was here he was our slot corner on many plays despite being far and away our best corner. Rogers covered some slot for us despite being our best cover corner. Charles Woodson has been GB's slot defender for a few years even when he was their top corner.

Carlos didn't want to be here and he wanted to get paid so even though I considered him to be underrated by our fanbase he wasn't an option to be retained. That being said claiming him to be San Fran's #3 corner is simply incorrect.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 04:40 PM ----------

Doesn't matter who I'd rather send. If I had my way I'd send Gano. :silly:

What does matter, is how we could trump the Browns. I'd imagine that might involve someone like Sleepy, or Rak. :)

What does Rak offer the Rams that they don't have in Chris Long and their 2010 first round pick Robert Quinn? If they wanted someone from our front seven I would think it would be Riley. More likely they would want a corner seeing as that is their biggest hole on defense. Probably Josh Wilson.

I never said we should sign him to a long multi deal, but folks are talking like they hate his guts as if they're running a dictator out of town. Why because hes hurt? Is this what we have become as redskins fans? Cheer the guy when healthy and ballin but the minute hes hurt trash him. And i have no idea where you heard that LL would'nt sign a one year contract. Im pretty sure i read an article on washingtonpost where he said he was willing to sign a one year prove it contract. Your right about Carlos not wanting

To be here but he made that known on his last year here, the majority of the fans wanted him gone since what His second year?

Is it possible that he will be part of a trade package with picks, to the Rams for their 1st rounder aka RG3?

Seriously doubt it. They won't give up on lance Kendricks yet. If they get a player, it will be at a bigger position of need

Two guys on this team that are lower profile but I always find myself rooting hard for are Lich and Gano. Glad to see them, most likely, coming back. I think both are capable of solidifying a starting role in the team for years to come -- but they have to step up this season or upgrades will be found.

I know that Lich getting hurt and Gano getting kicks blocked isn't on them -- but at some point you have to rise above and make yourself invaluable or your roster spot will always be tenuous.

TK - the Rams being screwed by cap space has to have a direct impact on what they take as a trade for that #2. They need to max out in the 2012 draft to get themselves moving again. right ?

It depends. They aren't going to take anything other than draft picks in exchange for the #2 overall pick. They simply cannot absorb any large' date=' veteran contract this year. If you look at the players that are UFA's, the majority are older vets with little or no tread left on them or "mercenary" vets looking for the last big payout.

QB Kellen Clemens

QB A.J. Feeley

RB Jerious Norwood

RB Cadillac Williams

WR Mark Clayton

WR Brandon Lloyd

TE Billy Bajema

TE Stephen Spach

OL Jacob Bell

OL Adam Goldberg

OL Mark LeVoir

OL Tony Wragge

DT Gary Gibson

LB Chris Chamberlain

LB Bryan Kehl

LB Brady Poppinga

CB Al Harris

CB Rod Hood

CB Justin King

S James Butler

P Donnie Jones

Rams are still probably cut some players that are weighing down their cap and man their roster quite a bit with rookies that they draft this year, in part with the boon they receive from the #2 overall pick.

Archived