Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaming Headsets (PS3 and XBOX 360)

I know there are a lot of gamers on this board, and some love the PS3, while others love the XBOX 360.

What headsets do some of you guys use? I am having a tough time finding a good pair.

I just got the Turtle Beach X41s and am totally unimpressed. I think the Triton AX 180s are better and they are half the price.

Give me some suggestions, I just want good sound quality (playing at night while the GF sleeps), be able to talk trash and not being accused of having a lisp, be able to hook my Iphone up to play songs through the chat line (IE Can't Touch This when I score a TD, and Momma Said Knock You Out, when I make a come back) and would like wireless cause I have to smoke outside and I would like to keep my headset on and controller in hand while not pausing it.

So give me some good options please!

I know there are a lot of gamers on this board, and some love the PS3, while others love the XBOX 360.

What headsets do some of you guys use? I am having a tough time finding a good pair.

I just got the Turtle Beach X41s and am totally unimpressed. I think the Triton AX 180s are better and they are half the price.

Give me some suggestions, I just want good sound quality (playing at night while the GF sleeps), be able to talk trash and not being accused of having a lisp, be able to hook my Iphone up to play songs through the chat line (IE Can't Touch This when I score a TD, and Momma Said Knock You Out, when I make a come back) and would like wireless cause I have to smoke outside and I would like to keep my headset on and controller in hand while not pausing it.

So give me some good options please!

The big black Sonys are sweet and has awesome surround sound if you watch a movie and listen to them. They are like 100 bucks on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

My kid has the XP500s and is a big fan. He got them for about half of list price through a connection he has.

I just bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force Deltas, which are the same thing as XP500's and PX5's, and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a headset.

Best Buy dropped their price from $299 to $189, and then I got another 30% off. I upgraded the Optical cable it came with, and use Lithium batteries and this thing is awesome.

Highly recommend anyone looking for a premium gaming headset to take advantage if the $110 overnight price drop.

If you are playing a FPS like CoD and don't have a headset, you are at a huge disadvantage.

I don't think you need to spend 300 on any gaming headset. I have the $120 x11 and they are alright. $100 seinheisers are going to be better than any "gaming headset" on the market as far as sound quality goes. (they just don't come with a mic)

As someone said above, the Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 are all you need and worth the $50. It honestly makes a big difference and the sound is so much better. Plus, if you have a roommate or playing late at night you have no noise coming out of the tv.

is a headset really worth that much?

Depends if you use them much. Look at the extra cost divided by the number of hours of usage.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

I've had xbox live since 2005 and didn't even know these high quality headsets existed. They do look pretty cool, but not sure they are worth as much as 4 video games in some instances.

Depends on the games :ols:

Turtle beach al,l the way, they have a much longer range to sound whore AND they are built to last. Astros are overrated. Yes TB are a little more but they are worth it. Try the px5 they are made for the ps3 but will work on 360. I was a semi pro black ops player and my whole team uses TB.

Turtle beach al,l the way, they have a much longer range to sound whore AND they are built to last. Astros are overrated. Yes TB are a little more but they are worth it. Try the px5 they are made for the ps3 but will work on 360. I was a semi pro black ops player and my whole team uses TB.

Sorry, but the brand of headphone has nothing to do with the range of sound whoring.

Yes they do, TBs have the longest range of sound. Its been proven. TB speakers are by far better then its competition

Then provide a source. The highest sound quality output from the PS3/360 is 5.1 surround I believe. The headphones made currently are either going to meet that or they won't. The range is limited by the 7 year old sound cards that are currently built into the console. Once TB steps outside of the console headphone market, the last thing they are known for is quality.

Then provide a source. The highest sound quality output from the PS3/360 is 5.1 surround I believe. The headphones made currently are either going to meet that or they won't. The range is limited by the 7 year old sound cards that are currently built into the console. Once TB steps outside of the console headphone market, the last thing they are known for is quality.

So for a PC gamer what would be considered the best ?

I don't, but I am considering a gift idea, for my father in law.

Like i have stated in my previous posts. I play alot, pubs gbing etc. TB do have sets up to 7.1, however compered to 5.1 with a SET its almost unnoticeable. Amusing i have TB x31 and a pair of AX pros. With my 41s on full volume, i can hear bomb pick ups, planets etc farther away then the AX pros. Also given the fact that Ax pros do are not durable what so ever. Look at holiday docs videos on youtube they are a couple years old BUT he breaks down the pros and cons of each set.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 12:54 PM ----------

Ear Force Z6A for pc. Made by turtle beach

I had the X12's. and for the cost, I think it is a pretty good set. I got rid of those, and went with the Tritton AX 180s and I though those were better than the X12's, but like X12's, were wired.

I wanted wireless, so I went with Turtle Beach x41s. Wireless, very light on my head, and had the extra bass option, but I dint like them that much. Swapped out the optical cable and used better batteries, and that improved some aspects. I was still not impressed, and even though they get good reviews, I didnt agree with them

Last night I went to Best Buy to get the Tritton AX Pros, they were pretty much the same price as the Turtle Beach X41's ($159 vs $169) and actually had them in my hand, and then saw they had the XP500's. The XP500's were twice the price, but were wireless and highly rated. I then saw the TB Ear Force Deltas which are the EXACT same thing as the XP500's on sale for $189, so to me that was a no brainer, plus I know the manager there ad get 30% off, so now, what was a $300 headeset last week, and the best headset Turtle Beach makes, cost me $137 out the door, which is more than half off and worth every penny.

There might be 1 or 2 better headsets on the market right now, but they cost at least double what I paid for these.

They are awesome, can be set up totally wireless (has bluetooth piece plugged into controller), and the 7.1 sound is like wearing a home theater sound system on your head.

So for a PC gamer what would be considered the best ?

I don't, but I am considering a gift idea, for my father in law.

What kind of games does he play? How nice of a PC does he have (specificly his sound card)? When looking for a headset for the PC, you should not limit yourself to "gaming headsets". Consoles are for the most part limited to using "gaming headsets", because a console often requires specific wiring for a headset. I currently have a TB headset for my 360, for the sole reason that set-up and use is very simple. In my days of competing in FPS games like cod4, over 50% of the community I played with used the sennheiser HD 555 and some sort of clip on mic ($7 at radioshack, sound quality is very good). Those headphones are not a "gaming headset", but for the price, you get spectacular sound quality, durabilty, customer support, and you are purchasing from a company that has been making headphones long before there was a market for gaming headsets.

This is a decent review of some of the most current headsets.

http://www.squidoo.com/pc-gaming-headsets

Having 7.1 in a current headset is certainly a good thing, but it won't do anything for you if the audio source doesn't support 7.1. Neither the PS3 or 360 are capable of 7.1 output with any of the current games. They have 5.1, and a good 7.1 headset will be able to play the 5.1, but it won't be true 7.1. Being capable of playing 7.1 is a great thing, but in no way does it garuntee high quality sound.

There are some PC games that support 7.1 (Battlefield 3) providing your computer has a soundcard (or a mobo with on-board sound thats good enough) that can do it. The Sennheisers in that review are most likely the best sounding/comftorable headset even with only having hifi stereo instead of 7.1. That company is known for highquality and great customer support.

This is all I have time to post at the moment, I'd be happy to answer/help research more for you, but remember I'm only a semi-pro headphone analyst.

IXP500's on sale for $189, so to me that was a no brainer, plus I know the manager there ad get 30% off, so now, what was a $300 headeset last week, and the best headset Turtle Beach makes, cost me $137 out the door, which is more than half off and worth every penny.

Pretty much the exact same thing that I have in the Turtle Beach PX5, you've probably got the newer version. I ordered my PX5s the very first day they went on the market in Feb of last year, I think I paid $189.

I've tried other headsets that my friends have, and in my opinion, the TB headset is better than some of other gaming headphones that I've tried. Of course I don't remember what brand and model they were LOL.

Hearing my phone ring in the headset while gaming, I can hit a button and I'm talking on the tele. I can still hear the game while on the phone, or turn it down if i choose. There are like 3 different volume controls. Hell, sometimes I wear my PX5s just to talk on the phone or listen to music, even when I'm not gaming.

I have the X41s and they are great as long as you don't use WiFi on your 360. Main reason I got them was they were wireless. Their are cheaper ones that sound the same you will just have the cord which at the time I bought them wouldn't work for me.

Whatever you get make sure they are amplified, and have separate chat volume control.

Pretty much the exact same thing that I have in the Turtle Beach PX5, you've probably got the newer version. I ordered my PX5s the very first day they went on the market in Feb of last year, I think I paid $189.

I've tried other headsets that my friends have, and in my opinion, the TB headset is better than some of other gaming headphones that I've tried. Of course I don't remember what brand and model they were LOL.

Hearing my phone ring in the headset while gaming, I can hit a button and I'm talking on the tele. I can still hear the game while on the phone, or turn it down if i choose. There are like 3 different volume controls. Hell, sometimes I wear my PX5s just to talk on the phone or listen to music, even when I'm not gaming.

Being able to use them anywhere at anytime is also something to consider. If you are spending 200+ on a headset, I would hope you can use them for more than just gaming. I have the TB x11, and I don't use them for anything other than the xbox, because just by touching them I can tell it won't take much to break them. For traveling i know my HD555 won't break if they get squished in my backpack or luggage. They also have a nylon cord (every wired headset ever made should have a nylon cord, a rubber one is usually the first thing that will break over time)

A headset also needs to be comftorable, and this quality is based on personal opinion alone. If the best sounding $500 studio headset is not comftorable to you, and you can't wear it for more than 20 minutes without it hurting, you are wasting your money. All of these headsets probably have at least good sound quality, so picking one because it's the most comftorable is definitley a good decision. Unfortunately it's hard to find a store that would have more than one brand of headphone, and have them out for you to try on. If you can't try them on beforehand, make sure they have a good return policy. I recommend newegg. Great prices, customer service, they sell almost every brand, and a good exchange policy.

The TB x11 is basically the wired version of what Winning Season has. For the price they were a decent headset at first. Within a month the right headphone started to rattle. If I tap it, it usually will go away. The mic is WAY to sensitive. It will pick up almost any noise in my house (washing machine, bass from a TV, bass from a passing car). This can be pretty annoying for the people I play with. It wouldn't be a big deal if the headset had a proper mute switch. The mute button is on the cord, next to the chat/game volume switch (these are also a poor design, it's very easy to adjust them on accident). I should never have to take my hands off of the controller to mute the mic.

Archived