Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Solo vacation - Costa Rica or any other suggestions?

Tour of Duty

I'm planning on taking a vacation for about 5-10 days depending on the deal I can get and I'll be traveling alone. I want to go somewhere that has a lot of adventurous activites so I wont get too bored. I found a deal for 10 days in Costa Rica all inclusive food, hotel and excursions for $1000 (flight is seperate). It looks really interesting and seems like a great deal. Has anyone been to Costa Rica and have any advice. I hear its not ideal to go during the rainy season so I'd probably shoot for april.

Any other recommendations on vacation destinations that might be fun?

I'm looking to spend roughly $1500 - $2000 max on everything, including flight.

Don't go to Central America during the summer, you'll boil. Watch out for snakes and caymans if you are near the coast of any of the Central American countries. Costa Rica west coast is great for surfing and rainforest exploring. I was looking to move there at one time, decided not too, but it's a great place to visit. Also, look at Belize. Snorkeling/SCUBA diving on the coast, great zoo there, and Mayan ruins to explore.

Otherwise, have a great time!

Not going to ask why you're going alone, but have you considered doing a singles cruise? Might be a sausage fest, but who knows.

If solitude is what you crave, why not take a few days and hike the appalacian trail?

I recently got out of a relationship so I'm not really looking for a party trip, I do enough partying while I'm here with my friends. I just want to get away, see some great sights, have a little adventure and clear my head a bit. I was thinking of maybe doing some hiking up in Yosemite since its only about a 6 hour drive for me. I just wanted to get as many suggestions on places people have enjoyed to do some research and find what'll be most fun.

I recently got out of a relationship so I'm not really looking for a party trip, I do enough partying while I'm here with my friends. I just want to get away, see some great sights, have a little adventure and clear my head a bit. I was thinking of maybe doing some hiking up in Yosemite since its only about a 6 hour drive for me. I just wanted to get as many suggestions on places people have enjoyed to do some research and find what'll be most fun.

there is plenty of good hiking and adventures in St. John. I know its a long flight from CA but if you are going to take a full week off it may be worth your while

there is plenty of good hiking and adventures in St. John. I know its a long flight from CA but if you are going to take a full week off it may be worth your while

Thanks! I'll add that to the list of destinations I research. Is there a best time or time of year I should avoid?

My father in law owns a 3 bedroom 3 bath condo in Private Marigot Bay, St. Lucia that we rent. There is staff to do your laundry and clean the house, and it sits above Doolittle's restaurant and the Rainforest Hideaway. The beach is private, but you only about five minutes from the Capital, Castreas and the public beach. Its the best of both worlds, and if you wanted to visit one of the two Sandals resorts on the island, a day pass for both resorts is twenty EC.

Google Pelican House St. Lucia if you are interested.

Well, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about adventure. I'm married with a baby and another one on the way in March. Adventure to me is walking to the mailbox to get the mail. Not complaining of course, my home life is grand. I just don't get to do jack **** anymore, so I will now live vicariously through you.

What about Australia? Or maybe ice fishing in Alaska? Rent a little pod and campout for a few days on the ice. Damn that'd be nice. Let us know what you end up doing.

New Zealand - Queenstown: Adventure city if you can afford the finances

When I was there there was bungee jumping as well as a bunch of other things you can do in the city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown,_New_Zealand#Tourism

A resort town, Queenstown is a centre for adventure tourism. Skiing, jet boating, whitewater rafting, bungy jumping, mountain biking, skateboarding, tramping and fly fishing are all strong promotional themes.

Queenstown is a major centre for snow sports in New Zealand, with people from all over the country and many parts of the world travelling to ski at the four main mountain skifields (Cardrona Alpine Resort, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Treble Cone). Cross country skiing is also available at the Waiorau Snow Farm, located near the village of Cardrona.

Have you looked into an REI Adventures? Never done them, but heard good things for a variety of people.

Seems perfect for what you are looking for. They lead all sorts of trips with different level of adventure all over the world. They literally go all over the world.

Great for solo vacationers who might want to join a group looking to met other folks who like adventure. They supposedly do a good job match groups so that folks get along.

http://www.rei.com/adventures

I've been to costa rica and it's amazing. Went with wife to Guanacaste, Costa Rica. I told a associate at work and he went to Jaco beach,and he loved is as well. The wildlife is awesome crocs, monkeys ,huge butterflies , birds. PM me if u have any questions. I usually want to visit different places but costa rica is a spot I'd hit up again.

My family & I did Costa Rica (Guanacaste, Pacific side) this past August (supposedly not a good time to go, but we loved it and most places that we went were uncrowded). My wife researched the bejeezus out of the vacation and we ended up doing the entire thing for like $6000 (flight, condo, excursions, food, tips, etc.). Did everything from banana boat @ beach to river cruise & hand-feeding crocs/monkeys. We didn't do all-inclusive b/c we heard food was not that great and it was $40/day where we stayed, so we found a grocery store and bought our own. Was a great wake-up call for our kids, too. Trip Advisor was a good source of info. And most important: finding a good local guide (not one of the mega companies).

Things to do:

Fishing (phenomenal)

Scuba (excellent)

Snorkeling (ok)

Volcanoes

Horseback Riding

Ziplining (great)

Jungle excursions

Seafood - don't go to CR if you dislike seafood. Must try ceviche.

Beaches

Wildlife

What about Australia?

I'd recommend Australia or New Zealand to anyone seeking adventure. There's so much to do and I know esp in New Zealand there are plenty of bus "tours" that are perfect for single travelers. I went on one myself where the bus stopped at 5 destinations and you could spend as much time as you wanted at each place. I met plenty of great people (male and female, younger and older than me) and I was travelling in the offseason. I think you would need more than a week for Aus/NZ, though, given the travel time to get there and back.

Archived