Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Solo vacation - Costa Rica or any other suggestions?

Tour of Duty

I'm planning on taking a vacation for about 5-10 days depending on the deal I can get and I'll be traveling alone. I want to go somewhere that has a lot of adventurous activites so I wont get too bored. I found a deal for 10 days in Costa Rica all inclusive food, hotel and excursions for $1000 (flight is seperate). It looks really interesting and seems like a great deal. Has anyone been to Costa Rica and have any advice. I hear its not ideal to go during the rainy season so I'd probably shoot for april.

Any other recommendations on vacation destinations that might be fun?

I'm looking to spend roughly $1500 - $2000 max on everything, including flight.

As someone who loves all inclusives and have done them several times in Mex and Carrib, I'd give it more thought. When you pay all that money for an all inc. then you're pretty much stuck on the resort and limited to their activities. Not a bad thing for the wife and I as we go to absolutely relax. Not worry about carrying money, where to eat, we wake up go to beach/pool whatev. Nothing too taxing. But depending on the all-inc, it might not be too conducive to meeting other individual travelers (depending on which one you join).

Personally, yosemite is one of my favorite places on earth. So I'd be hard pressed to vote against it. What about Cabo or anything that side of Mexico? You can prob save a bunch of $$ with travel. Take a catamaran down the coast? Go beach hopping down to Cabo and fly back?

As someone who loves all inclusives and have done them several times in Mex and Carrib, I'd give it more thought. When you pay all that money for an all inc. then you're pretty much stuck on the resort and limited to their activities. Not a bad thing for the wife and I as we go to absolutely relax. Not worry about carrying money, where to eat, we wake up go to beach/pool whatev. Nothing too taxing. But depending on the all-inc, it might not be too conducive to meeting other individual travelers (depending on which one you join).

This is why I would suggest searching for something like I used in New Zealand. You basically pay for the bus tour and you have a set date when you first get on and when you're done, but in between you can stay at each location as long as you'd like. If you want, they also help you find stuff to do in each location, and have hook ups with hostels, etc. I am sure there are similar groups in other countries. Some people use them only for the transportation, and others use them for everything. I think these are the best programs for meeting other individual travelers.

I agree with others above about rethinking the all-inclusive. If it was me, I would plan the vacation (where to stay, activities) on my own and then just be flexible when you get there.

Go to NatGeo's travel site and look at their trips. They're way out of your price range, but you can get an idea of some fantastic places to go/see and then research places to stay to save money. Single traveler should be able to do things on the cheap, especially with food/drink.

I've travelled quite a bit thru Central America, both alone before I was married, and also with my wife. Costa Rica is amazing but as other have mentioned I would not do an all inclusive trip there. I would also avoid the northen part of the country as it's turned really touristy and the prices are out of line w/what you get (some of the hotels in this area are laughably over-priced and they're also over-run with Americans in the high season (when I travel I'm not into meeting Americans, but hey that might just be me). The great part about Costa Rica and Central America is a the $$$ value it represents. When I travelled there I found hotels ranging from $25 a night all the way to $350 a night (and just about everything in between). Also, don't let the "rainy season" scare you off as it's not bad and won't impeded your plans. I can PM you if you want more information about specific cities to go to and also to avoid if you'd like. I went on an extended trip to Panama this past summer and it's on a par with Costa Rica and probably even less expensive. The surfing is insane in both countries (and was the main reason I started going down there (for what that's worth to you). It's doens't get the press up here that CR does but has just as many places to see. No matter what you decide, have a great time. I did every time I've gone down there.

When I was single I used to get these catalogs for "adventure" vacations in the US. Guided rafting trips down the colorado river (over several days). 4x4 excursions into the Utah "Outback". IF you go to the back of "Outside" magazine there are a ton of outfitter ads there. Might be a good place to start.

Wow thanks for all the great responses everyone. I'll definitely look into everything you guys recommended. Also, I'll probably be PMing those of you that offered more info after the Superbowl. I have a bet on the game and if I win, that money is all going towards my trip, so I wont know what my budget is until the game is over haha.

Regarding the cruise. I do a booze cruise every year with my friends and as fun as it is, it's not what I'm looking for right now. I already party pretty hard here, Vegas once every 2 months and my yearly cruise. I'm looking for an adventure and dont particularly care if I meet new people or not. It'd be nice to meet some new fun people but it isnt the purpose of the trip.

Thanks again everyone.

Archived