Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xfinity News (AP): Davos elite: Capitalism has widened income gap

Jumbo

I am in favor increasing capital gains rates by 30% for 1,000,000 earned. I believe that if you have income or gains of over 1 mil, you must pay 30% at a minimum. I'm sorry to those that think putting a governor on the "job makers" will make them contract. It might. But we are in serious debt and someone's going to have to get us out of it. So what if you can only by 7 Ferrari's instead of 10. Suck it up.

The problem there is of course both money and the rich are mobile in many cases,and unless it is a captive market or there is a lack of better options,it will simply relocate if the incentive is there.

the inverse is true if conditions are favorable and money and the rich are drawn in.

...and Christian white males being held back. :)

Ultimately, capitalism is flawed. We know that. We've always known that. By it's very definition you're going to have "haves" and "have nots." But by the same token, let's ask the USSR how communism is working out for them. My Encyclopedia Brittanicas make it sound pretty good.

this is all true, as far as it goes. But...................................

1) the choice is not Commmie Pig versus Libertarian uuber freedom das state----- there are MANY shades of grey in between.

2) as you say, there are well known flaws with capitalism. Policy cohices in a capitalist oriented economy can either exacerbate or help alleviate these flaws... and many of the changes over teh last decade or so have resulted in the former ratehr than the latter (tax cuts for the rich when the economy is already steaming along above full employment is one that quickly jumps to mind...)

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 10:12 PM ----------

It's not a simple question of communism vs. capitalism. It is now state capitalism vs. liberal capitalism. http://www.economist.com/node/21542924

using Russia as your example of "efficient state capitalism" is ohhhhh so incredibly ridiculous. :)

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 10:17 PM ----------

I see what you did there. Cute using "liberal" and "capitalism" together. ;)

I guess what concerns me is this. Is there anything that was private at one point, that the federal government has taken over and run better?

given that in our system the government steps in and takes over when there is A) a market failure or B) an industry failure in a market that is considered strategically vital.... we wouldn't really expect a good self selected pool of profit centers, no?

(as opposed to the case in cleptocracies like Putin's Russia, where the state EXPLICITLY steps in and takes over in industries that have the indecency to demonstrate profit making potential....)

but.. overall the only logical conclusion is that we, as a world community, clearly should hunt down all of the economist dogs and kill them forthwith and free our planet from this plague of dismal demagoguery
And then we can start on the lawyers.

Oh noes. Please promise me you won't kill the costume designers too.

this is all true, as far as it goes. But...................................

1) the choice is not Commmie Pig versus Libertarian uuber freedom das state----- there are MANY shades of grey in between.

2) as you say, there are well known flaws with capitalism. Policy cohices in a capitalist oriented economy can either exacerbate or help alleviate these flaws... and many of the changes over teh last decade or so have resulted in the former ratehr than the latter (tax cuts for the rich when the economy is already steaming along above full employment is one that quickly jumps to mind...)

Greed. Man is greedy by nature. It's a survival instinct. A sin.

As long as we continue in this debt based economy, we do need agreed upon regulations to prevent greed from manipulating the supply. However, every time we stop a,b & c, they exploit d,e & f. Innovation for greed. It's human nature.

Greed. Man is greedy by nature. It's a survival instinct. A sin.

As long as we continue in this debt based economy, we do need agreed upon regulations to prevent greed from manipulating the supply. However, every time we stop a,b & c, they exploit d,e & f. Innovation for greed. It's human nature.

And it was that way long before we entered into our dreadful "debt based fiat money debased currency" economy. :)

And it was that way long before we entered into our dreadful "debt based fiat money debased currency" economy. :)

Yep,and helped make us a powerful and innovative nation

Altruism has it's merits,but money is a hell of a incentive to meet needs

Well ya can have too much of a good thing as well :pfft:

I credit my laziness with making me more productive too.

If there is a easier,or more efficient method,I'm gonna find it....cause I'm lazy at heart...but I do love my luxuries enough to make that money.

I will never tire to be both amused and frustrated by the never-ending supply of Very Important-sounding People who will apparently insist for all of eternity, "Nobody predicted this!" My amusement and frustration stems from the fact that a much more honest statement would be, "Nobody predicted this!... as long as we're allowed to keep ignoring the people who did."

Laugh it up, but along with secular Christianity, that's the greatest danger to this country. Well, and the gays ruining the sanctity of marriage.

If you think communist capitalism or secular Christianity are even a tenth of the existential threat posed by those who have caught The Gay, you simply don't understand the gravity of the situation. There are probably gay people hiding in your bushes right now. Watching you. Waiting for the moment to pounce. And then, when you least expect it, when your guard is completely down, they'll strike... and you'll be gay married before you know what hit you. Married, for the rest of your life, to a dude. And his junk.

The storm... is coming.

NnsG008ntYY

The storm... is coming.

To put an even keener edge on that sword...Debbie Boone (Daddy Pat was a DEVOUT Christian) of the immortal heterosexual love tribute "You Light Up My Life" is rumored to be a secret lesbian and is supporting equal rights for gays re: marriage. The Fifth Horseman rideth.

Archived