Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Manning could make sense for the Redskins (new post at end of thread)

Lavarleap56

Im a censored face on Es now hence the sig and CM punk referance in the op. The vagueness is intentional and for the greater good so appoligize ahead of time but on twitter feel free to ask me anything you would like to discuss anytime and its full go. Es is better suited for opinions and thought and twitter is for the meat and potatoes.

Thanks, Lavar. I do not follow Twitter as that I do not frequent the internet world enough to delve into it. In fact, I have day off (and some cold beers in the fridge) and decided to conversate with my fellow fans. Now that you have told me, I may have to give Twitter a try. I guess I'm to old-fashioned. :pfft: :ols:

Im a censored face on Es now hence the sig and CM punk referance in the op. The vagueness is intentional and for the greater good so appoligize ahead of time but on twitter feel free to ask me anything you would like to discuss anytime and its full go. Es is better suited for opinions and thought and twitter is for the meat and potatoes.

Absolutely agree. I am not sure what has happened to ES in the last 2-3 years, but its become a disappointment.

I follow LL56 on twitter and engage in conversations often. Much better way to get some real Redskins talk, learn about things happening behind the doors, and actually educate yourself reading thoughts by other posters. The good ones usually get re-tweeted so you don't have to follow everyone.

Twitter has definitely taken over ES for me.

I like your passion and I agree, but we dont have the firepower to get RG3. Getting Manning without the cost of any draft picks lets us keep our current draft and add arguably the best QB in history. We could trade down and add more picks like last year and still build through the draft. It's a win/win in my book.

No offense, but bull**** we don't have enough ammo.

We've got more ammo than pretty much any team lower than us. Miami might've coughed up a 3rd or 4th round pick for Reggie Bush. Seattle has no extra picks. The only team that has more ammo than us is Cleveland, and every indication is that they will NOT spend the draft picks to go up and get RGIII and would rather wait for him to fall. They've got so many holes (and I know the "we've got holes too" argument is coming, but seriously, Cleveland is on another level), it would be SO MUCH BETTER FOR THEM to just let RGIII fall to them and then grab some one else rather than potentially give up both their number ones to leap frog us.

We could give up three draft picks this year and STILL have six picks in the draft. And maybe compensatory draft picks. So the "we don't have ammo, we need to save picks" argument really holds little to no weight. If we want to trade up, we can still trade up.

"Lack of ammo" is not a real problem for us.

Even if Peyton Manning was healthy coming in, he's never taken the kind of punishment he'd take behind our crappy o-line. Age would catch up and he'd be out of commission by week 4.

I'd take the 2011 Redskins OL over the 2010 Colts OL.

Peyton has had pretty ****ty OL play for the past few years.

Absolutely agree. I am not sure what has happened to ES in the last 2-3 years, but its become a disappointment.

I follow LL56 on twitter and engage in conversations often. Much better way to get some real Redskins talk, learn about things happening behind the doors, and actually educate yourself reading thoughts by other posters. The good ones usually get re-tweeted so you don't have to follow everyone.

Twitter has definitely taken over ES for me.

AKM, as I've stated, I do not follow Twitter because I do not frequent the internet enough to keep up with it regularly. I'm in law enforcement, a single dad of four, and a new home I just purchased. As you can see, I do not have the time to "surf the web" enough to join these sites. Is it easier to follow Twitter than surf the ES boards?

Warpaint, I can see your point here, but exactly why the hype about Tannehill? Shanny will no doubt have to draft a QB regardless of whether he signs Manning or not. I get the feel that some think Shanny will be finished should he not have a winning record or more. I personally do not see this happening, and think that Snyder is willing to sit back for the sake of what he has done in the past coming back to haunt him yet again. For better or worse, I think Snyder has committed to this marriage for 5 years. I just wondered why people mention Tannehill so often, not judging at all.

From what I've read, Tannehill ran a pro system similar to what the Shanahan's run. He has good mobility and good mechanics. He has a quick release. The main concern is that he lacks experience. He played WR his first two years.

I heard that comparision with mcnabb. Mark my words, if we do this we are set back 3 years. Year one, he gets us close to the playoffs, year two he retires and we fall on our face, year 3 we have another chance and getting a QB.... Do we learn our lesson with mcnabb or do we wait on learn it with peyton?

I'd say very different, but we also shouldn't go after any QB who's 30+ ... we need to build our own from scratch. Idc anymore about contending this year, I want to contend for the next decade.

Thanks, Lavar. I do not follow Twitter as that I do not frequent the internet world enough to delve into it. In fact, I have day off (and some cold beers in the fridge) and decided to conversate with my fellow fans. Now that you have told me, I may have to give Twitter a try. I guess I'm to old-fashioned. :pfft: :ols:

you old fashion folks can pm me if you like :). I have come to enjoy twitter and for me its basically another message board with very informed people and good convos.

From what I've read, Tannehill ran a pro system similar to what the Shanahan's run. He has good mobility and good mechanics. He has a quick release. The main concern is that he lacks experience. He played WR his first two years.

Ah, i see now. Well, that makes sense. Has there been any word on whether Shanny likes him or not?

No offense, but bull**** we don't have enough ammo.

We've got more ammo than pretty much any team lower than us. Miami might've coughed up a 3rd or 4th round pick for Reggie Bush. Seattle has no extra picks. The only team that has more ammo than us is Cleveland, and every indication is that they will NOT spend the draft picks to go up and get RGIII and would rather wait for him to fall. They've got so many holes (and I know the "we've got holes too" argument is coming, but seriously, Cleveland is on another level), it would be SO MUCH BETTER FOR THEM to just let RGIII fall to them and then grab some one else rather than potentially give up both their number ones to leap frog us.

We could give up three draft picks this year and STILL have six picks in the draft. And maybe compensatory draft picks. So the "we don't have ammo, we need to save picks" argument really holds little to no weight. If we want to trade up, we can still trade up.

"Lack of ammo" is not a real problem for us.

disagree

come draft day, any team that wants rg3 knows that to make that happen, they will HAVE to move up to the #2 spot to get him (barring anything bad happening between now and then).

if cleveland decides they want him - he is a brown.

i would love for the skins to get rg3, but its not in the skins control, UNLESS they are willing to grossly overpay to move up 4 spots.

ES is going to be so full of rage come draft day if the skins dont land rg3, and its a shame. so many on this board are just setting themselves up for disappointment. reading through the threads on this message board is funny, so many people are talking as if getting rg3is likely. its like people are just plugging their ears and screaming lalalalalala.

im guessing come draft time, realization that the skins arent getting rg3 will have set in, and the threads in here will be discussing the actual possibilities.

AKM, as I've stated, I do not follow Twitter because I do not frequent the internet enough to keep up with it regularly. I'm in law enforcement, a single dad of four, and a new home I just purchased. As you can see, I do not have the time to "surf the web" enough to join these sites. Is it easier to follow Twitter than surf the ES boards?

Yes, much easier. That is why I posted about it. Its a simple page that allows you to get thoughts from people you care to get thoughts from. Rather than see everyones thoughts on a message board. You can also follow just conversations if you would like, without following everyone in the conversation. It is a very cool tool for Skins news. It is also easier to use from cell phones.

I do see you have a lot on your place and am happy to see the hard work and family values you have. But if you do get the time to check twitter out, you will be able to understand why (IMO) it is better than ES.

...... if cleveland decides they want him - he is a brown.

Take this FWIW, but I have a friend who's been a staunch Browns fan since the halcyon days of Marty, Bernie and our very own Ernest Byner back in the '80's; and by all accounts the only people that think Cleveland are after a QB is everybody outside of Cleveland. The Browns, team, fans and local media alike, are happy to roll with McCoy and the last two fully expect Cleveland to use those first round picks on getting him some serious offensive weapons. The word in Cleveland is IF the Browns move up at all, it's to make sure they bag Blackmon or the like if they get wind say the Vikings are going that direction, and not for Luck or RGIII.

Hail.

IF they choose to go down the route of a Manning vet. type with say a Tannehill project to sit and develop, I can see the reasoning.

It wouldn't be my preferred option by any means, but I'd both back it and could understand the logic behind it.

Hail.

The more you guys talk about it the more I think this could work. I want to ask you though, who would you like them to draft and (maybe) more importantly where should they draft him?

I ask you because more often than not your opinions seem to coincide with my own and I don't like to be wrong :ols:

I like to believe that if we pick up Manning then we could trade back in the first picking up another second. This would give our FO way too much to play with and honestly could put the team in better shape than trading up for RG3 or Luck.

Take this FWIW, but I have a friend who's been a staunch Browns fan since the halcyon days of Marty, Bernie and our very own Ernest Byner back in the '80's; and by all accounts the only people that think Cleveland are after a QB is everybody outside of Cleveland. The Browns, team, fans and local media alike, are happy to roll with McCoy and the last two fully expect Cleveland to use those first round picks on getting him some serious offensive weapons. The word in Cleveland is IF the Browns move up at all, it's to make sure they bag Blackmon or the like if they get wind say the Vikings are going that direction, and not for Luck or RGIII.

Hail.

point taken

i think when it comes down to it though, drafting rg3 is going to be too tempting for cleveland to resist, and they will ultimately pull the trigger. he will be the new face of their franchise, and put alot of butts in the seats....which could also be a factor in their front office deciding which way to go.

right now, rg3's stock is as low as its going to be up until draft time. who knows how high his stock will rise before then.

even with the lack of offensive talent in cleveland right now, can anyone honestly and objectively say the colt mccoy has done enough to warrant cleveland by-passing the opportunity to go after rg3?

Getting Manning would be very beneficial. We can still draft a QB early-mid and let the young learn behind a less expensive Manning to let him learn behind. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Colts decided to cut him to avoid the payment to him and then him come back and sign on for cheaper while grooming Luck for a year or 2. In essence, we would be competitive with Manning and when he after he goes.

Ignoring a QB for the future and going with Manning alone is a horrible move. It's also very risky for Shanahan. Going 7-9 or 8-8 with Manning looks a lot worse than going 7-9 or 8-8 with RG3 (unless RG3 looks horrible like Blaine Gabbert). Our best bet is to move up and get RG3. If for whatever reason that isn't an option and we go with Manning, we still better draft a QB that has franchise QB potential, like a Tannehill or something.

Of course...but they wouldn't grab Manning in the hopes of going 8-8. I think we could all agree that choosing Manning instead of Griffin with the expectation of similar results would be idiotic. However, if they choose Manning over Griffin believing that they can win 11+ games per season over the next 3 seasons while they believe Griffin would struggle for 2 seasons, then it is a sound decision. You might not agree with their beliefs, but the decision is sound based on what they believe.

The more you guys talk about it the more I think this could work. I want to ask you though, who would you like them to draft and (maybe) more importantly where should they draft him?

I ask you because more often than not your opinions seem to coincide with my own and I don't like to be wrong :ols:

I like to believe that if we pick up Manning then we could trade back in the first picking up another second. This would give our FO way too much to play with and honestly could put the team in better shape than trading up for RG3 or Luck.

You could also use the extra picks to trade for a 1st rounder next year. Dont forget another very good QB class is graduating next year.

disagree

come draft day, any team that wants rg3 knows that to make that happen, they will HAVE to move up to the #2 spot to get him (barring anything bad happening between now and then).

if cleveland decides they want him - he is a brown.

i would love for the skins to get rg3, but its not in the skins control, UNLESS they are willing to grossly overpay to move up 4 spots.

ES is going to be so full of rage come draft day if the skins dont land rg3, and its a shame. so many on this board are just setting themselves up for disappointment. reading through the threads on this message board is funny, so many people are talking as if getting rg3is likely. its like people are just plugging their ears and screaming lalalalalala.

im guessing come draft time, realization that the skins arent getting rg3 will have set in, and the threads in here will be discussing the actual possibilities.

I will be less disappointed about not getting the opportunity to draft RGIII than I will be if the Redskins sign Peyton Manning, and I mean that. I can understand coveting a young players who can be your franchise quarterback and not getting him. It sucks, but it happens.

We'd have to sign Peyton BEFORE the draft, and if we sign Peyton Manning, that pretty much eliminates any possibility that we were GOING to go after a young quarterback. Signing Peyton before the draft means that we had/have no plans to draft a quarterback, that signing Peyton Manning was the plan. And that says more about our team than anyone wants to admit.

There would be no shame if we swing for the fences with RGIII and come up short. But I would beyond disappointed if we do not try and go for another band-aid, stop gap solution. And that's the gospel truth. Will I be disappointed if we don't draft RGIII? Absolutely. But I can deal with THAT more than another broken down quarterback coming in to "save" the team. And yes, I know he's Peyton, but quite honestly, I don't give a **** if it's Peyton, Joe Montana, John Elway, whoever.

No more short term solutions. Do it right, or don't do it at all. Period.

i think when it comes down to it though, drafting rg3 is going to be too tempting for cleveland to resist, and they will ultimately pull the trigger. he will be the new face of their franchise, and put alot of butts in the seats....which could also be a factor in their front office deciding which way to go.

Hey, I wouldn't disagree with that at all. And I personally wouldn't touch McCoy with the preverbal bargepole. Just passing on the thoughts of the Browns fans and media FWIW.

Hail.

You could also use the extra picks to trade for a 1st rounder next year. Dont forget another very good QB class is graduating next year.

But then we'd be ignoring the QB situation... AGAIN!! And delaying our rebuild another year. Years before I was ok pushing the QB problem back a year because there weren't too many options. This year is as good as any to draft and sign a QB

Archived