Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Redskins vs. Vikings RB Discussion Thread---Dashing Through the Snow

Jumbo

Between Helu, Royster and Hightower, it looks like we'll have our best trio of running backs in a long, long time... Seemingly even better than the Portis/Betts/Cartwright trio of 2005 (blasphemy?)

The running game has really come on the last 5+ weeks -- getting Trent back, Lichensteiger back, upgrading at center, upgrading at right tackle, and perhaps replacing Chester with Hurt at right guard -- we could have a truly devastating rushing attack. I can't imagine we won't be in the top-10 in rushing next year.

As bad as it looks now, Shanahan's offense is coming together... even with spare parts

I'm not knocking Young for that 'holding' call. Because there wasn't one. This officiating thing (throughout the league) is getting really unbearable. Jared Allen falls down and it costs the Redskins half the field and 6 points. These lazy ****ing officials need to get their **** together and figure out which calls are worth calling. If there's 'holding on every play', you don't call the one that negates a huge play. If you did throw the flag, they're still allowed to talk it over, pick up the flag, think about it, consider the possibility Jared Allen fell down, and decide it wasn't blatant enough to enforce the penalty. Get on your stupid mic, and tell the HOME CROWD there was no holding on the play. Officials effectively take control of the game in situations like that, especially these holds that 'happen every play'. They decide to throw it on a certain play? Then that's their play, not yours. Bull****.

Oh yea, this thread's about RBs. If I wasn't already, I'm a confirmed believer in 'Shanny the RB guru'. He gets the right guys, period, the man does not miss on RBs, no matter what round they were drafted in. Despite a bunch of weird Percy Harvin plays, and Toby freaking Gearhart finding a rare lane through the Skins front 7...the defense played well and the running game was great. I'm not worried about those aspects of the team at all for the future. It's awesome. Just need that QB.

The running game has really come on the last 5+ weeks -- getting Trent back, Lichensteiger back, upgrading at center, upgrading at right tackle, and perhaps replacing Chester with Hurt at right guard -- we could have a truly devastating rushing attack. I can't imagine we won't be in the top-10 in rushing next year.

As bad as it looks now, Shanahan's offense is coming together... even with spare parts

Has Chester played badly this year? I have heard through various outlets he has done a good job. He also got paid pretty well in the offseason. Just curious if it is a known thing that he has not played well this year.

Man, if he keeps this going, we may have to fire up the "Blue Royster Cult."

"he picks up a bus and he throws it back down as he wades through the defense for another touchdowwwn."

Royster is always moving forward. I love that. He hits piles or runs into tangles and the whole thing moves forward.

I'm trying to recall him being knocked backwards today, and i can't. (It could be the vodka.)

Anyway.. the running game is the most ecouraging light going forward. Royster, Helu, a returning Hightower.. man they all have great instincts.

The key... the OL has been superb in the run game for the last month. They've overcome injuries, suspensions, and they've become a very consistent penalty-free unit. Very encouraging indication for the future.

~Bang

Has Chester played badly this year? I have heard through various outlets he has done a good job. He also got paid pretty well in the offseason. Just curious if it is a known thing that he has not played well this year.

Chester has been awful just about all year. Pretty darn certain he grades out as our worst offensive lineman, and among the worst starting guards in the league. Lichensteiger played really poorly for the first half+ of last season before coming along, and I still hope Chester can develop in that same manner. Regardless, if we upgrade at center and/or right tackle, it will be important for those new pieces to play next to someone who's done it in our system before, for continuity/chemistry's sake.

If you have NFL Rewind, take a look back and pay special attention to Chester. He gets routinely beaten on passing plays and seems to be easily knocked off or whiff on running plays. Definitely a weak link

---------- Post added December-24th-2011 at 09:23 PM ----------

Also, all the runs with the leading fullback has been a revelation, and seems to be one of the foremost reasons why we've had such superb blocking up front over the past month. For as bad a game as Darrell Young had today with his two penalties, he's been playing extremely well in the running game. It seems like we've cultivated a new formation of strength going into next year

If we draft a running back with any of the picks next year I am going to be mad. All running backs we get for camp next year needs to be Rookie Free Agents because Hightower proved he can be beast in this system, Helu proved he can beast, and now Royster. We are set at RB for 2012......

Unfortunately, if you look at Shanahan's usual season.. 3 Rbs aren't going to stay healthy. We need about 5. There will probably be a late rounder or some UDFAs brought in.

~Bang

Are we seeing Shanny's 'Intelligent RB design' offense unfold before us??? I mean, we had 3 RB's this year all look very solid. Kinda reminding me of those Denver days when seemed like anyone Shanny put out there rushed for 120 and a touch.

Well, I'm hoping so. Because, if it's the case, than the white elephant in the room is the missing QB.... Oh yeah, and I do believe the defense needs alota help on front line.

Dare I say I'm happy with the WR's we have, maybe we can land some gem in 4-5th round ad continue to hope Stankerson develops.

I give credit were credit is due, Shanny can pick a running back lets hope he has the same eye for a quarterback ;). Giving time to the young guys has really been a pleasure to watch. Young had a good game catching the ball out of the back field and making YAC. Remember he came in as a Linebacker and witching to a fullback in his first year as a running back kudos to the coaching staff, only because he's young and is only going to get better. The holding call neglected his game performance but over all positive. Royster vision to make the one cut a run threw the wholes are fantastic. He runs strong and falls forward arm tackles aren't bring this kid down. Poor Torian SP? kind of lost on him either he knows his done here or the fact he regressed from last year. Either way he's done.

I give credit were credit is due, Shanny can pick a running back lets hope he has the same eye for a quarterback ;). Giving time to the young guys has really been a pleasure to watch. Young had a good game catching the ball out of the back field and making YAC. Remember he came in as a Linebacker and witching to a fullback in his first year as a running back kudos to the coaching staff, only because he's young and is only going to get better. The holding call neglected his game performance but over all positive. Royster vision to make the one cut a run threw the wholes are fantastic. He runs strong and falls forward arm tackles aren't bring this kid down. Poor Torian SP? kind of lost on him either he knows his done here or the fact he regressed from last year. Either way he's done.

Not poor Torain, he looked great last season in this same system. I just think he couldn't get it going B/C there is just 3 more talented backs in front of him. He's still a nice RB and if he had 10-12 games I'm sure he woulda shined more. But fact is, he is likely 4th best RB on this team. I like what offense is shaping into to.

Well, I'm hoping so. Because, if it's the case, than the white elephant in the room is the missing QB.... Oh yeah, and I do believe the defense needs alota help on front line.

Dare I say I'm happy with the WR's we have, maybe we can land some gem in 4-5th round ad continue to hope Stankerson develops.

To slightly hijack from the RB thread, I'm completely lost by how you came to this conclusion and are calling him Stankerson.

Our D-line has been excellent all year and is our best group outside of LB. Bowen arguably deserves consideration for the Pro-Bowl or at least and alternate slot. Carriker has 5 sacks from the other DE spot and Cofield has played very well for his first year ever as a NT. Next year we get Jarvis Jenkins and Golston back. Golston had started to fit in nicely as a rotational player in the 3-4 and has always had a great motor. Jenkins was said to arguably be our best linemen before he went down and that's saying something. Assuming we bring back Carriker, this is an extremely talented and strong group who's oldest player is 28 next year (I believe).

Hankerson took a while to stop pressing, relax and just focus on catching the ball before turning upfield, but once he did Shanahan started him. He looked solid and posted a 100+ yard game in his second career start. The stats were impressive and he certainly "looked" very good on the field. Unfortunately he also got hurt in that game. I think, for now, he's show enough to at least drop the "Stankerson" nickname - no worries, I just like the kid and don't think it's a fair name at this point.

But yes, the RB's have been phenomenal all year. It was hard to see a guy with such good character and a great motor who was as hungry as Hightower go down. He loves being here and I hope he comes back with a vengeance next year. But it's been a huge positive to see the emergence of Helu and Royster, or perhaps just Shanahan's system. Shanahan has shown a tendency to trade guys like this after peaking their value in 2-3 years which could really help in the long run because he'll just find more guys. That being said, I hope we keep Helu for the long run because his attitude and character are hard to find and I like the kid. Really, I like all our backs except Torain. I liked him last year but I think his time here is up and aside from one game this year, he has looked like a scrub. Royster was picking up 5 yards every time he touched the ball and breaking long runs, I don't think Torain had a single carry where he didn't get tackled at the LOS or pick up one yard.

Well, I said we need alota help on D-Line, not that the D-line stunk. We have been run on by nearly every team. All the points you make are accurate, but in the body of work, don't add up. I think Cofield is a rotation player. We need a true STUD nt. Carriker also very good, and maybe Jenkins bring some improvement, but our Run D has not been good. I think we draft a NT and DE.

As far as Hankerson goes, I just did that for 'fun'. I understand he had a great game in Miami. If we were 10-5, I woulda called him 'Thankerson'...We'll see

Well, I said we need alota help on D-Line, not that the D-line stunk. We have been run on by nearly every team. All the points you make are accurate, but in the body of work, don't add up. I think Cofield is a rotation player. We need a true STUD nt. Carriker also very good, and maybe Jenkins bring some improvement, but our Run D has not been good. I think we draft a NT and DE.

As far as Hankerson goes, I just did that for 'fun'. I understand he had a great game in Miami. If we were 10-5, I woulda called him 'Thankerson'...We'll see

I wasn't really picking a bone with you or anything, I just think our front 7 is probably the strength of our entire team, although with Hightower coming back you could arguably make a case for running backs.

I felt our defense was actually pretty strong against the run this year. Looking at stats, we tied for seeing the 13th most rushing attempts in the league against our defense and gave up the 14th most yards, which seems pretty average. However, I feel our defense, like yesterday has been pretty stout against the run early (at one point AP had 7 carries for 15 yards), but they've spent so much time on the field and we're usually behind that eventually the offense keeps pounding it against us til they get a big one. Maybe it's just my opinion and it's wrong, but I feel we've been pretty stout against the run this year.

Truly, I think our defense is built to play with a lead and once we spend an offseason addressing the offense and get Jenkins back (and hopefully a healthy Atogwe next year) they can be dominant. Our front 7 is built to get after quarterbacks and our secondary is built to feast on errant throws. These are things that inherantly come when playing with a lead and that rarely happens for us, usually due to our offense turning it over or coming away with field goals rather than touchdowns. I am hopeful we can see more aggressive games with a lead next year like when we played the Giants last week.

As far as NT, you may be right, it would be nice to have a big pure NT. But I also think you have to consider that Cofield is in his first year at that position, has fared very well given his first year, and is as Shanahan says a true student of the game who works to be the best. I think he will continue to improve. I don't see us addressing the front 7 too much, if at all, this offseason because it's a pretty solid group that will add Jenkins this offseason and we need so much work on offense.

I like the idea that the D was on the field to long at times throughout the year. There was another thread that highlighted the Jekyl-Hyde type year we had, and I agree. Some games the O looked real good and the D stunk iy up and than vic-versa. Was the trend pretty much all year.

Unfortunately, after a RB suffers a knee, unless they were top tier prior to injury, they're not gonna be same. We'll see. I just feel we won't be seeing the same Hightower. However, I heard that he is a bit of a fitness freak, so maybe he'll be super committed to rehab. I hope so.

Regardless, I think we'll be good at RB/WR and even O-line next year.

I like the idea that the D was on the field to long at times throughout the year. There was another thread that highlighted the Jekyl-Hyde type year we had, and I agree. Some games the O looked real good and the D stunk iy up and than vic-versa. Was the trend pretty much all year.

Unfortunately, after a RB suffers a knee, unless they were top tier prior to injury, they're not gonna be same. We'll see. I just feel we won't be seeing the same Hightower. However, I heard that he is a bit of a fitness freak, so maybe he'll be super committed to rehab. I hope so.

Regardless, I think we'll be good at RB/WR and even O-line next year.

Yeah, skill players coming back from ACL's are always a concern. But there are definitely plenty of success stories and hopefully he's one of them. We've definitely had a Jekyl-Hyde type year. Yesterday's game was one of the most, if not the most, frustrating (non-Beck) game of the year for me. One thing I have expected from the beginning from Shanahan that we finally beat the teams we are supposed to (such as the Cardinals game earlier this year). Games where we win a big one against possibly a better opponent then have to play a lesser one. These are games we have always lost in the past and it seems to have continued and I could not be more disappointed. It's probably the main disappointment I've had with Shanahan's teams.

But I think this team is headed in the right direction and I like where we are going. I agree - I think our RB/WR and O-line groups actually have a couple guys per group to get excited about. And I think it's pretty apparent what Shanahan has done. He focused strongly his first year on improving depth in general as well as getting younger. This past offseason he focused strongly on the defensive side of the football while also addressing the aforementioned goal and was still able to come away with Hankerson and do his usual work with late round RB's. This offseason I strongly expect him to focus very strongly on the offense and I expect to see similar improvements on offense next year as we've seen on defense this year.

It's a LONG way to the draft in April and a LOT can happen before then.

Archived