Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

I approve of this.  

For one thing, NK eliminating their nuclear weapons was never a possibility in the first place.  

For another, it means that Trump doesn't have to go into the meeting desperate to give up huge promises, just to get "a win".  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Big deal.

Correct.  It is a big deal.  It gives them the respect they have been craving for decades and gives a veneer of equality between us (also probably says it's ok to treat your people like slaves as long as you say nice things about certain people)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Correct.  It is a big deal.  It gives them the respect they have been craving for decades and gives a veneer of equality between us (also probably says it's ok to treat your people like slaves as long as you say nice things about certain people)

Exactly. It's amazing, even by Trump standards, how much they're blundering in this whole process. At every step, NK has basically gotten what they wanted and we've gotten nothing. Now, Trump is backing off of the "maximum pressure" rhetoric and is telling them we don't have to really get anything done in a hurry...yeah, just a photo op. So NK gets something they've wanted for a very very long time (the visuals of NK leaders on equal footing with a US President) without giving up anything at all, or even having to pretend to promise anything like they have in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if NK simply drags their feet when it comes to any future meetings after this one. They can milk the propaganda they'll get from June 12 for years.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if Trump, being Trump, opens his **** cannon during the summit and says something (or multiple things) that is inexplicably stupid to say...like "well, who knows, maybe we can talk about us pulling our troops out of the Korean peninsula in a deal, I mean...do they really belong there after all?" and handing NK even more rhetorical and propaganda wins without having to do anything or promise anything whatsoever.

But none of this matters. Trump could tell Un that he'd be open to NK claiming half of US territory and he'd still spin it as an amazing win and a testament to his supernatural deal making skills. It's going to be a complete cluster****. Yeah, Nobel Prize, for sure.

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

And I also wouldn't be surprised if Trump, being Trump, opens his **** cannon during the summit and says something (or multiple things) that is inexplicably stupid to say...like "well, who knows, maybe we can talk about us pulling troops our of the Korean peninsula in a deal" and handing NK even more rhetorical and propaganda wins without having to do anything or promise anything whatsoever.

Yeah, that is something I'm worried about.  The possibility that Trump will give away something major, just because he's so desperate for something he can call a win.  

I could easily see that.  

Of course IF things somehow end well and we actually get some decent concessions from NK and don't hurt our allies, make some corrupt personal deal, or give NK ridiculous benefits, Trump and co should be commended.  

Edited by visionary