Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland.com: The Possible Destinations for One Peyton Manning (Redskins-related)

JohnnyUtah

This is a story that came up today, handicapping all of the potential landing spots for Peyton. Personally, I think there's no chance of him coming here, but they still talk about the Skins and it creates an interesting discussion point.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12339/the-possible-destinations-for-one-peyton-manning

7. Washington Redskins

The Redskins certainly need a quarterback worse than any team on this list; if you really need us to quote the numbers on Rex Grossman and John Beck, well, they've completed less than 59 percent of their passes and have thrown more interceptions (20) than touchdowns (14). It feels like Manning would somehow have a greater legacy if he turned around things in D.C. as opposed to some of the other destinations on this list, but Washington's wideouts are ancient and his star left tackle, Trent Williams, tested positive for marijuana 10 different times in September and October. You get the feeling that the Redskins would want Manning a lot more than Peyton would want the Redskins.

I really don't agree with their assessment, especially regarding our WR's being "ancient." However, I can't see an instance where Peyton would want to come here. I'm happy about that.

Click the link to read the rest.

Thoughts?

Except the Ravens certainly would not take Manning when they've put it all on Flacco and and 49ers are dominating right now with Alex Smith who will get a contract extension. We are not all there yet for Manning to just step right in. The name sounds nice.

EDIT: Screw you Russell Brandt! Lucky SOB! (noted by looking at the bouncing sig)

Except the Ravens certainly would not take Manning when they've put it all on Flacco and and 49ers are dominating right now with Alex Smith who will get a contract extension. We are not all there yet for Manning to just step right in. The name sounds nice.

EDIT: Screw you Russell Brandt! Lucky SOB! (noted by looking at the bouncing sig)

I think Flacco is average at best. I agree with that, especially living in Baltimore and experiencing the slurping first hand. They would be disgusting with Manning, but I can't see that happening. The 9ers, on the other hand, makes perfect sense and would be dominant if they could get Manning.

Ha, and yes...Russel Brand is an *******.

I think Flacco is average at best. I agree with that, especially living in Baltimore and experiencing the slurping first hand. They would be disgusting with Manning, but I can't see that happening. The 9ers, on the other hand, makes perfect sense and would be dominant if they could get Manning.

Ha, and yes...Russel Brand is an *******.

49ers are pretty stout right now, they mainly need receivers. I agree that Flacco is a turd, but Bmore seems to have faith in him... things could change once he loses to the Steelers come playoff time.

Manning is not going anywhere without Tom Moore. Being that he would have to come on as a consultant or Kyle would have to be fired (either way, hindering Kyle's shot at becoming a young HC), no Redskins fan should believe that he is coming here.

If you want to hinge your hopes on a longshot, root for TJ Yates to do well so that we can bring Matt Schaub in.

Either way, we are drafting a quarterback early in this draft.

Manning is not going anywhere without Tom Moore. Being that he would have to come on as a consultant or Kyle would have to be fired (either way, hindering Kyle's shot at becoming a young HC), no Redskins fan should believe that he is coming here.

If you want to hinge your hopes on a longshot, root for TJ Yates to do well so that we can bring Matt Schaub in.

Either way, we are drafting a quarterback early in this draft.

Tom Moore isn't even there this year in Indy. he's with the Jets lol!

Hopefully, no Manning in DC. No question that he's one hell of a QB and seems to be a good dude. That said, I want our rookie in place (RGIII makes me nervous, but seems like he could be our guy), sitting behind Rex (I just threw up in my mouth a little) for the first 1/4 or so of next year. Learn/practice the system, then get started.

No more retreads, short of planning to briefly keep the rook's spot warm.

The Redskins wideouts are ancient? Seriously we have 10 total, including on on the PS and one on IR. 3 are older. Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth. Everyone else is young but unproven.

I don't know if Smith will get a contract extension with the 9ers because they drafted a guy in the second and Smith is apparently having a lot of help from the D and running game.

All I can think about is how awesome it would be if the skins signed manning AND drafted RGIII to study for three years under one of the best pocket commanders in history. Sickness would ensue.

Everything Im about to say is assuming Peyton gets back to practice this season is is medically cleared to play before the draft.

Trading for Manning is a bad idea but...

...if Peyton gets released before his bonus is due, I would make every attempt to sign him to a 3 year, $40mil deal, all guaranteed. I dont think Kyle can say **** to Peyton about checking plays at the line; I also think he would welcome Peyton into the offensive meetings. Peyton has forgotten more football than Kyle has ever seen. If I was a GM, I would hire Peyton right now as an offensive coordinator. Heck, I would interview him seriously as a head coaching candidate.

If we can get him and maintain our draft position, there is no downside. We arent getting Luck. Any other QB in the draft is subject to sit while a HOF quarterback runs the show. I dont think Peyton has any interest in overtly teaching his backup anything, but I think there is way too much substance and wisdom there not to absorb a great deal just working with him in the film room and practice.

This scenario is especially enticing if we can combine Manning and RG3. Griffin is a terrific prospect, but I believe he is way to raw to throw into an NFL offense right away. Sitting behind Manning is the perfect scenario. Griffin can see a mechanically flawless, tirelessly working film junkie run an NFL team. The kid is about to graduate with his master's in 4 years, I have to believe he would benefit tremendously from this type of environment. Additionally, I dont think his body is NFL-ready like Cam Newton's was coming out. He can put on some size, work on his footwork, and break down film with one of the great quarterbacking minds of all time...its football nirvana.

Now let me address the "Manning will get killed behind our line" statement. I say that the reason Peyton never too many sacks is...Peyton. He calls the perfect protections. He recognizes mismatches at the line. There is no better quarterback in the league at getting the ball out of his hands quickly to the right guy than Peyton. Slants, quick-outs, play-action, all the things quarterbacks do to keep from getting hit...Peyton does them perfectly. Protection goes both ways. Peyton is the best in the league at protecting his offensive line.

If you want to argue that trading future picks for Manning is a bad idea, I can agree. Im as tired of that approach as the next guy. But if you are arguing that bringing Peyton in as a free agent doesnt immediately make this team a contender for the NFC East crown for the next 3 years well...thats just silly.

Now, Ill put the bottle down. This is a pipe-dream. I mean, Peyton freaking Manning will never play for the Redskins, right...

...RIGHT?!?

Sitting behind Manning is the perfect scenario.

Yeah, cause Jim Sergl and Curtis Painter have turned out to be such AWESOME QBs, right?

There is absolutely no proof that Manning has any interest in mentoring anybody. I don't see why anybody would think that having someone sit behind him will help in his development, or that he'd be a good coach. Hasn't shown it so far.

The Colts are TERRIBLE. Obviously nothing has "rubbed off" from Manning.

Agree with Steve McQueen above. I've read Bill Barnwell's NFL pieces on Grantland and I don't think he knows what the **** he is talking about.

That's a fact. In a previous piece at the beginning of the season, BB described this last offseason as being a typical Snyder era Redskins offseason...

This guy mails it in. I don't mind writers that get it wrong so much as writers that are lazy - and BB might be the laziest of them all.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 12:29 PM ----------

Yeah, cause Jim Sergl and Curtis Painter have turned out to be such AWESOME QBs, right?

There is absolutely no proof that Manning has any interest in mentoring anybody. I don't see why anybody would think that having someone sit behind him will help in his development, or that he'd be a good coach. Hasn't shown it so far.

The Colts are TERRIBLE. Obviously nothing has "rubbed off" from Manning.

Painter and Sergl were lower round draft pick QBs right? Isn't it possible that the Colts were incompetent in terms of drafting/acquiring their backup QBs as opposed to Manning failing as a mentor? I'll put it another way - some QBs simply cannot be mentored into a success. Brees working with Beck this offseason comes to mind.

Archived