Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are Bruce Allen's actual duties?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

From what I can understand: salary cap administrator, PR Guy, maybe (hypothetical) involved in trades. Shanny is in charge of everything else.

we need a true talent evaluator (and it doesn't have to be a link from redskins past) either....

our scouting department is a joke.

Agree.

Bruce Allen seems great at what he does -- we are under the cap, we have stockpiled draft picks, we have won pretty much every trade we've made so far.

But we need a true talent guy, like Scott Piolo in KC. I was hoping we'd bring on one board in the days after Vinny was fired and Bruce Allen hired, but once we hired Shanahan that was it. Shanahan might not be okay with having a personnel guy, which is unfortunate. But at least this has shown the owner the benefits of leaving the personnel stuff to professionals, and that should pay off even once Shanahan has moved on.

For those who think Allen is just a "cap" guy....Understand he is the sole reason of why Williams and Davis got 4 games instead of one year.

He negotiated with the league and helped those two (and the Skins of course) out. Don't think Davis won't re-sign with us now. Allen saved him even more millions he was about to lose.

Not sure I want this guy to sign with us he has obviously got a substance abuse issue.. I wonder if they can sign a contract that is voided buy substance abuse suspensions in the future the next one is a year for this nit wit

For those who think Allen is just a "cap" guy....Understand he is the sole reason of why Williams and Davis got 4 games instead of one year.

He negotiated with the league and helped those two (and the Skins of course) out. Don't think Davis won't re-sign with us now. Allen saved him even more millions he was about to lose.

Where did you get this? I'm pretty sure that this is completely false. It was the NFLPA that negotiated with the NFL, no our GM.

Edit: I see that TK said it. Interesting. Still doesn't make sense, since its been reported otherwise all over the place. Wasn't aware that the NFL negotiated with team's GM's about their own players' suspensions, etc.

Agree.

Bruce Allen seems great at what he does -- we are under the cap, we have stockpiled draft picks, we have won pretty much every trade we've made so far.

But we need a true talent guy, like Scott Piolo in KC. I was hoping we'd bring on one board in the days after Vinny was fired and Bruce Allen hired, but once we hired Shanahan that was it. Shanahan might not be okay with having a personnel guy, which is unfortunate. But at least this has shown the owner the benefits of leaving the personnel stuff to professionals, and that should pay off even once Shanahan has moved on.

1. Shanahan needs to check his ego at the door and realize he needs help with finding the guys he needs to get this done.

2. The only disagreement from your post I have, is, with the trades we won thus far--JC for example( at the time of the trade, back when, we got a mid-rd pick in a draft happening 2 years into the future instead of the following draft year). When TN came calling to AH, we could have gotten much better trade value for him. (I don't need to address this further). All I am saying here, is , we should have gotten better deals on those players at that time.

Heck, I would have a conversation with NE, Pittsburgh, and GB, and ask them who they would recommend for a GM. That would atleast be a start in the right direction for scouting players.

Where did you get this? I'm pretty sure that this is completely false. It was the NFLPA that negotiated with the NFL, no our GM.

Edit: I see that TK said it. Interesting. Still doesn't make sense, since its been reported otherwise all over the place. Wasn't aware that the NFL negotiated with team's GM's about their own players' suspensions, etc.

Bruce got involved because 1) they're our guys 2) kicking more ass then Chuck Norris is what he does:) & 3) that whole grey area with the confusion over D.Smith telling guys they'd have x amount of days to get clean before being tested & it actually bring in the new CBA.

Bruce got involved because 1) they're our guys 2) kicking more ass then Chuck Norris is what he does:) & 3) that whole grey area with the confusion over D.Smith telling guys they'd have x amount of days to get clean before being tested & it actually bring in the new CBA.

Oh, nice. Thanks for the explanation, TK. I forgot about the "grey area" you're talking about, and the confusion about a grace period before testing began. It makes sense that he would got to battle for our guys under those circumstances. Awesome. Davis really owes him.

So, I'm assuming that Mr. Allen made it aware to the NFL of number 3 which eventually slapped Goodell on the hands.

1. Shanahan needs to check his ego at the door and realize he needs help with finding the guys he needs to get this done.

2. The only disagreement from your post I have, is, with the trades we won thus far--JC for example( at the time of the trade, back when, we got a mid-rd pick in a draft happening 2 years into the future instead of the following draft year). When TN came calling to AH, we could have gotten much better trade value for him. (I don't need to address this further). All I am saying here, is , we should have gotten better deals on those players at that time.

Heck, I would have a conversation with NE, Pittsburgh, and GB, and ask them who they would recommend for a GM. That would atleast be a start in the right direction for scouting players.

Your disagreements are either dumb, or a sign you've been playing way to much Madden. Possibly both. :)

The JC pick, we have this year. This gives us more ammo to move up with if needed. JC also had zero trade value as the entire League new Shanny wasn't going to keep him since we had traded for McNabb.

The Titans called to stir up :pooh: because they were still sore over us signing Al. Their players didn't even want Al back in the locker room.

No need to call NE, Pitt, one GB because GMs aren't scouts. We have a pretty talented guy named Morocco Brown working for us that Bruce & Shanny love. Though, don't be surprised if he's offered a GM position this off season.

If Bruce and Mike love him, I'm willing to bet they'll offer him the moon and more to keep him here. A bump in title and pay to "Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel" or something and a pay raise could do it. Maybe.

I hope.

I'm not sure what the Goodwins are up to right now in case we loose Brown. Might have to look into that.

I shouldn't have said we've won all trades (McNabb will obviously take a long time to get over.) But most. The JC trade demonstrates that we are rebuilding -- we took a 4th rounder 2 years later, rather than say a 6th rounder that year. That's long-term vision. And getting solid value for two guys who may not have made the roster (Jarmon and Vonnie) was great. And when was the last time we took advantage of the Pats? But this year we did. And to get a 5th this year the 6th for McNabb was huge.

I've heard great things about Morocco Brown. Whether it's him or another guy, I just think we need a guy with the pedigree to be making personnel decisions. Clearly the knock on Shanahan, if any, is personnel (especially defensive)....and that he doesn't listen to his scouts enough.

I'm not sure what the Goodwins are up to right now in case we loose Brown. Might have to look into that.

Thanks TK for the info.

I always wondered that (I hate to get off topic), why not pay and get the very best scouts in the league. I understand that some people like to work for some organizations like the Patriots, Steelers, or GB. But $ talks!!

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 06:38 PM ----------

Oh and who are the Goodwins? History?

From what I can understand: salary cap administrator, PR Guy, maybe (hypothetical) involved in trades. Shanny is in charge of everything else.

we need a true talent evaluator (and it doesn't have to be a link from redskins past) either....

our scouting department is a joke.

Our last draft says otherwise. Way to early to call any pick a hit yet, but so far:

Kerrigan - looking real good

Jenkins - injured, dunno

Hankerson - not much so far, could be gold or bust

Helu - looking real good

Gomes - looking good so far

Paul - not much so far, like Hankerson

Royster - likewise to Paul. Seeing how loaded we are at RB, I'd argue he hasn't had much of a chance yet.

Robinson - practice squad. Not showing anything yet.

Thompson - not much so far

Hurt - dunno. could be good after going thru rookie growing pains, or bust

White - He's active, but darned if I've seen him.

Neild - pretty good so far.

That's starting to look like a darn good draft class to me.

Who gets the money that players are forced to give up while serving suspensions?

Just curious.

I wanna say it goes to a general NFL Fund that gives to charities. I thought I read that somewhere.

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

Oh and Wit, crazy that you live in Litchfield Park, I live in Buckeye. Pass there everyday. Also, it has my favorite mexican food restaurant right across the Wigwam Resort!!

Goodwins was Shanny guys in Denver, he is very tight with him still , and shows up at the Park every now and then... Brown is seen as a up and comer, lots have taken notice to him..it will also be a site to see at all the guys that makie a run at Lou Spanos to run a Def...also another guy that is catching eyes, but Shanny has control, all he has to do is go to Dan and say Yo.. it will be done, since he got the full 5 years to make it happen, meaning i new title and new money can keep them here

Bruce Allen brings a competency to the GM office that Vinny Cerrato didn't have. The majority of the moves to this point have been exceptional with us looking to draft well in 2012 as well. He reminds me of the Bobby Beathard/ Cassell days . When you see a lot of them....that means they're not busy doing they're job!

Goodwins was Shanny guys in Denver, he is very tight with him still , and shows up at the Park every now and then... Brown is seen as a up and comer, lots have taken notice to him..it will also be a site to see at all the guys that makie a run at Lou Spanos to run a Def...also another guy that is catching eyes, but Shanny has control, all he has to do is go to Dan and say Yo.. it will be done, since he got the full 5 years to make it happen, meaning i new title and new money can keep them here

Good to know. Nice to know that (hopefully) our owner with deep pockets will spend money on our coaches now. Not saying he didn't before (Cuz he got guys like Spurrier and other big names) but now, it is not blindly paying people

Archived