Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES QB Discussion: A Tale of Two Quarters.. Grossman's game so far

Bang

you almost wanna call the guy clutch until he painfully reminds you how erratic he can be. Big time 4th down TD to Moss this year...and whatever it is, I just really felt like he was gonna throw a TD pass before OT. it seemed possible 'cause he's confident and swags all on the field, and it happened. what a concept. If he wasn't already happy with his touch/fade passes, I'd think he's starting to get used to it now. I've seen more of those this year than in the last 5 or so.

Honestly, with the exception of Kyle Shanahan's play calling (especially on running plays), Orakpo and Hall, I'm greatly pleased by this team today. I haven't been this engrossed in a game since ... Well, the last Dallas game.

I'm willing to give the running game a break - if you read Mark Schlereth's (although I do hate him) comments in a recent article about Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, he talks about how essential it is for the linemen to work in sync and know each other's game. I think that was evident in our line at the end of last year/beginning of this year in that the individual's were not that talented, but they had been together for a while and were really opening up holes. The group in their today was the fourth new combination in as many games if I am correct. That ruins cohesion.

What I do not understand is why Torain continues to get carries over Helu. I like Torain and he proved last year he can be an effective back. But Helu is averaging 4.9 ypc on 51 carries this year - that's not skewed by any long runs (longest run of 21 yards) - he's simply been churning out about 5 yards every time he touches the ball. He's the only back aside from Hightower who has consistently proved he can gain yards and should be out there on just about every play because he can catch out of the backfield as well (as opposed to Torain's ugly drop today).

Orakpo - his absence of sack's against NFC East opponents is really getting to me, as it is with everyone. But the guy actually played really well in coverage and against the run today. He did get some pressure on Romo sits to pee but to my anger was often just close enough not to get him and it often resulted in Romo sits to pee escaping for a big play - it made me sick, but I would say Orakpo was pretty good in other areas today, he just didn't notch a sack.

Hall - agree.

Bears fan here, been following all season. Gotta ask, since you guys have zero interest in rex Grossman could we "Bears" have him back now? We could really use him right now. You guys could just play Beck and bring in someone else? about the same anyway. We will throw in a bag of peanuts or something? Deal?

Bears fan here, been following all season. Gotta ask, since you guys have zero interest in rex Grossman could we "Bears" have him back now? We could really use him right now. You guys could just play Beck and bring in someone else? about the same anyway. We will throw in a bag of peanuts or something? Deal?

Haha no probably not. You might be able to get Orton back though!

Rex played a great game. I'm sure if Beck was in there though we would have thrown for 5 touchdowns and ran for 5.

Rex has made some fantastic throws the past two games. Yes, he throws a bad pick here and there and that's never going to change, but I don't think many QBs could have played better than Rex yesterday. He has no running game and no playmakers -- and he's making the line look better because he sees the field quick and reacts.

The rest of the season is very important for him. If he doesn't have any bad Rex games, he'll be back in DC next year for sure.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

I'm sure if Beck was in there though we would have thrown for 5 touchdowns and ran for 5.

Yep. Would have beat the Cowboys easy. All Beck does is win games.

Honestly, with the exception of Kyle Shanahan's play calling (especially on running plays), Orakpo and Hall, I'm greatly pleased by this team today. I haven't been this engrossed in a game since ... Well, the last Dallas game.

Uh what? His play calling was really good. The QB draw for our first score was genius.

Uh what? His play calling was really good. The QB draw for our first score was genius.

Then explain back to back reverses and Ryan Torrain's run selections. After two or three good runs where he went straight ahead, Kyle calls stretch play after stretch play. Dumb.

Then there's the complete lack of utilizing Helu in the running game. He's got the best ypc, so let's only hand it to him 3 times ....

Then explain back to back reverses

It's a fake hb slam with an end around, often times team use it to setup the RB slam or vice versa. IMO running them 2 times in a row could be quite deceiving to a defense.

and Ryan Torrain's run selections. After two or three good runs where he went straight ahead, Kyle calls stretch play after stretch play. Dumb.

I wasn't at the game and could only see the TV angles, but I would imagine that after several successful rushes up the middle Dallas adjusted their formations to take away rushing in between the tackles. It's possible that in response to this Kyle tried to work the outside rushing attack.

Not saying any of this is factual, but I find it more probable than KS, who's proven to be an effective OC, would make an adjustment because the defense did, rather than get away from something that has been working.

Then there's the complete lack of utilizing Helu in the running game. He's got the best ypc, so let's only hand it to him 3 times ....

I'm not in favor of this at all, can't figure out why Helu isn't the lead back.

If you look at what Rex was working with yesterday compared to what Romo sits to pee was... yikes. Bad Rex, Good Rex, Whatever Rex -- guy pretty much put the team on his back yesterday. No running game, a very suspect line -- that was hurt by a couple phantom holding calls -- and maybe the worst receiving corps in the league. Seriously, Gaffney is at best a decent #2. Everyone else will probably be out of the league next year -- heck, two of them were two weeks ago. I mean, do people realize how bad our offense is talent-wise right now?

If you look at what Rex was working with yesterday compared to what Romo sits to pee was... yikes. Bad Rex, Good Rex, Whatever Rex -- guy pretty much put the team on his back yesterday. No running game, a very suspect line -- that was hurt by a couple phantom holding calls -- and maybe the worst receiving corps in the league. Seriously, Gaffney is at best a decent #2. Everyone else will probably be out of the league next year -- heck, two of them were two weeks ago. I mean, do people realize how bad our offense is talent-wise right now?

Yep. With so many injuries we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. You have to think that Armstrong will get replaced, and Stallworth won't be back. I just hope that Niles Paul is back for next week.

Here's what Cowboys fans were saying during that last TD drive before OT:

The Cowboys have 89 yards to stop Rex Grossman.
and 20 yards like it's nothing
2nd and 7

3 wides - deep drop pass to the FB, missed tackle all the way to the 40. WHO GOT Owned there?

How the hell was he so wide open lol
Who is covering Gaffney today?!
Gafney is schooling Newman
Jabar Gaffney owning the defense...
How is Gaffney constantly wide open? IT'S JABAR FREAKING GAFFNEY.
What are the Skins doing to get Gaffney so open on every play?
a spare in Gaffney is destroying the cowboy secondary, pathetic
Just keep them out of the endzone...that's all they need to do.
Just two more minutes get a stop!!!!!
they aren't even running the ball at all. Rex is just going right down the field
Peyton Grossman
Rex Freaking Grossman is GASHING this defense.
Secondary is getting abused...this is a clinic. WRs are getting open with EASE. 5 step drop, 7 step drop, it doesn't matter, they are dominating
GASHING the defense.
We're getting worked in a do-or-die situation by a team with arguably the worst skilled players in the league!
Jeez...Rex looking like Montana....
Donte Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney.

Rob Ryan and this defense should be ashamed.

Rex Grossman = Tom Brady
Cant believe we had the game in hand, and our D let Grossman drive 80 plus yards
better win the coin toss or this game is over
Rex Grossman schooling us.....comical
My heavens. So maybe we gave Brady too much credit after he drove for the game-winning score.

Grossman to Gaffney and Stallworth????

Ok we lost the coin toss..we need devine intervention. Someone sacrifice a baby goat or something.
This is not good, Sexy-Rexy smells blood in the water.
Freaking Rex Grossman is schooling them right now
2nd and 10

2 WR right, pass is caught 1st down at the 45.

Wide open again! Easy...just keep chucking them Rex, end this miserable game
18 yard play like it was nothing....
Stallworth and Gaffney owning our secondary. I wasn't even sure both were still in the league....
scrub wide receivers picked up off the street getting 20 yards like its nothing
Can't stop Rex Grossman.
Wide open again, these CBs are scared right now...they're shook. Redskins WRs are in their heads
Armstrong was WIDE open....what the hell are they doing out there?
It doesn't matter how many yards they're backed up, no pressure and Grossman is looking like Aaron Brady out there.
Grossman, empty set, 7 yard gain. Someone is always open.
literally making rex look like brady or manning
wrs open on every play
chunks of yards everywhere

Well, we know what happens next lol :mad:...still and entertaining read, though.

Yea he's playing pretty damn good. Really if Hall stops two 3rd and longs and he never gets benched we might actually have a winning record. Which would be amazing with the talent on the team. I'm at the point where I don't even care though.... we're gonna get a good draft pick. Hopefully they can bring him back next year, draft a QB and get some skill players on offense.

Archived