Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Everyday Dumb Questions You Need Answered

grhqofb5

I got a dumb one: how was the first "straight edge" invented? I assume that all rulers these days come from some sort of a mold that is pretty much perfectly straight. But how was first true "straight edge" made? Did someone sit down for like 2 weeks widdling down a piece of wood until he couldn't see any imperfections in it? What a dumb***.

They don't all have to be roads. Some can be streets or lanes.

They do have to be "roads". the song says so.

that's the trick. and what makes a man a man after he walks down the required number.

26 might be an average, but it varies from man to man, patially depending on the length and condition of the road.

I got a dumb one: how was the first "straight edge" invented? I assume that all rulers these days come from some sort of a mold that is pretty much perfectly straight. But how was first true "straight edge" made? Did someone sit down for like 2 weeks widdling down a piece of wood until he couldn't see any imperfections in it? What a dumb***.

Pull a string tight and you get a straight edge.

Put that string against anything--say, a piece of wood--trace it, and you get straight edge.

Cut along that line carefully, with precision, and you get straight edge.

(anyway, that's my guess. :) )

Pull a string tight and you get a straight edge.

Put that string against anything--say, a piece of wood--trace it, and you get straight edge.

Cut along that line carefully, with precision, and you get straight edge.

(anyway, that's my guess. :) )

Yea, but it wouldn't be precise. And this begs the question-- where did the first string come from?

Does the First Dog (Bo) have a body double?

Man, that's a dumb one. I suppose its possible.

How did explorers on ships back in the 15th and 16th century measure how far they had gone? And how did they keep from drifting at night? Were they just always sailing or something? Surely the anchors on those boats could not have reached the bottom in the middle of the ocean.

How did explorers on ships back in the 15th and 16th century measure how far they had gone? And how did they keep from drifting at night? Were they just always sailing or something? Surely the anchors on those boats could not have reached the bottom in the middle of the ocean.

Good question. Pretty in depth page about navigation......I learned a few things.

Generally for a trans-oceanic crossing, a navigator sailed south or north to the latitude of his target and then headed east or west until his destination was reached. By using either a quadrant or astrolabe to measure the angle above the horizon of Polaris (the North Star) at night, or the sun at noon, he could determine his latitude (the distance in degrees north or south of the Equator).

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/navigate.html

• 2 weeks later...

What happens to all the unsold new cars at dealerships? I know many are sold to rental fleets, but what becomes of the rest? Car auctions?

For example, If I want a brand new 2009 Honda Accord..is there a mysterious car lot out there with unwanted, unsold cars? Is there a leftover car graveyard? :whoknows:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived