Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Everyday Dumb Questions You Need Answered

grhqofb5

Here you go the 180 degree line is the other side of the prime meridian

Except it's not the prime meridian on the Pacific side. It's the international date line.

If you measure your longitude from over there, you still do so by reference to the line running on the other side of the world, through Greenwich England. You consider yourself at the far side of the circle.

Great, I feel like the guy who discovered the equator, of whom it bears its name-- Equardo Magellon. This line needs to get a bit more attention I believe.

Notice the name of that line is 180 degrees. Doesnt get a fancy name like prime meridian or equator. Kind of sad.

Except it's not the prime meridian on the Pacific side. It's the international date line.

If you measure your longitude from over there, you still do so by reference to the line running on the other side of the world, through Greenwich England. You consider yourself at the far side of the circle.

The international date line is not a straight line. Even I know that. It avoids land at all costs.

The international date line is not a straight line. Even I know that. It avoids land at all costs.

Yes. It was adjusted to avoid some stuff.

You can do this because it is an arbitrary line created for useful reference - just like the prime meridian on the other side of the world. The meridian and the date line can be wherever we want them to be, as long as they run from the North Pole to the South Pole in some fashion that everyone agrees on.

Yes. It was adjusted to avoid some stuff.

You can do this because it is an arbitrary line created for useful reference - just like the prime meridian on the other side of the world. The meridian and the date line can be wherever we want them to be, as long as they run from the North Pole to the South Pole in some fashion that everyone agrees on.

Well, in that case I'm claiming ownership/naming rights to the straight 180 degree line on the back of the globe.

Well, in that case I'm claiming ownership/naming rights to the straight 180 degree line on the back of the globe.

So what are you naming it?

---------- Post added November-18th-2011 at 04:27 PM ----------

Why do some TVs only go up to a certain number of channels.

It is a matter of the circuitry and being "Cable Ready." Back in the day when people did not have cable and dish boxes the cable went directly into the TV and you had to have a cable ready tv to get channels 69-125

Why do some TVs only go up to a certain number of channels.

ewww... good one. I've never seen a television with a dial that went over 99. Guess you need the box after that.

In the same vein, before cable tv was a big thing, you used to be able to order big fights (i.e. Ali-Foreman, etc.) through "closed circuit tv." How did you get that? Did someone have to bring you a box or something before the big fight?

ewww... good one. I've never seen a television with a dial that went over 99. Guess you need the box after that.

In the same vein, before cable tv was a big thing, you used to be able to order big fights (i.e. Ali-Foreman, etc.) through "closed circuit tv." How did you get that? Did someone have to bring you a box or something before the big fight?

No, that meant you went to the Capital Center or a movie theater or auditorium and watched it on the big screen there.

Archived