Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College paper on Redskins??

Skinz82

Hello guys, I am a sophomore in college, and I got assigned a 10 page research paper on any topic I want as long as I show a critical style. Would doing this paper over the redskins be doable/easy to write? I know for one, that the Redskins interest me tremendously, I just do not know if it is worth to write about for a college paper. Any tips, advice, thoughts, sources, etc would be great! Thanks guys!

There are many archived threads showing detailed examples of how successful teams built through the draft and used FA wisely, and plenty of threads on why the Redskins big spending years were detrimental, as well as examples of other teams doing the same and not faring well. The overall topic could be about the best ways to build a winning NFL team.

I tend to think the best way to handle these things is to do something synergestic in nature. Do something that you are studying in another class. It is a good way to review the information in that class and do the paper. You don't want to hand in the same paper for the two different classes, but if you are taking American history, do it on the Revolutionary War. You'll get a review on the Revolutionary War that will help you in studying for that class.

How are you going to cite your sources? I'm assuming your professor might want journal sources or something more credible than NFL blogs and stat sites.

What are you talking about? Atlanta Skins Fan is an extremely credible source. The prof will know that immediately. "Oh Atlanta Skins Fan, that man is a genius. Whatever is in this paper has to be correct"

How are you going to cite your sources? I'm assuming your professor might want journal sources or something more credible than NFL blogs and stat sites.

You could use something like the Washington Post and Sports Illustrated. Newspapers/Magazines can be pretty good sources. I think this is very doable. Lots of ways you can go on it. You could write a book on the past 20 years alone. I don't think you would want to relive all of that though.

Hello guys, I am a sophomore in college, and I got assigned a 10 page research paper on any topic I want as long as I show a critical style. Would doing this paper over the redskins be doable/easy to write? I know for one, that the Redskins interest me tremendously, I just do not know if it is worth to write about for a college paper. Any tips, advice, thoughts, sources, etc would be great! Thanks guys!

yes but do analysis, and actually criticize some thing within the history, hell explain how come the team degenerated so badly. You could definitely do some legit research. Just don't do some lame fluffly bull **** about regurgitating seasons.

Compare and contrast George Preston Marshall, Edward Bennett Williams, Jack Kent Cooke, and Daniel Snyder.

How did they get in the position of owning the team and what things did they do to improve or degrade the team?

The more I read about Marshall, the more I think he and Snyder are similar (except w/o the racial prejudice that Marshall had)

Heck, you could probably do a paper on the integration of the Redskins in the early 1960's. I know there is a book out about it.

Recommended Source: The Redskins Encyclopedia by Micheal Richman

Heck, you could do a ten page paper on how the 2001 team is underrated and ranks as one of the most dominant of all time. Going through the papers, stats, and comparative analysis of that period might even be fun for someone who never really got to experience it.

Writing a paper about a sports franchise is very do-able. I did a critical analysis of the contributing factors to the Cardinals rise and eventual Super Bowl appearance, and what steps they needed to take to sustain that success. It came out beautifully. I'm a sport management major so it was probably more of what my professor was looking for, but I've always found you write best when you're passionate about something.

Vishal is exactly right, if you're going to write this paper stay off extremeskins, wikipedia, or any other source without much credibility. If you want the paper to be taken seriously you have to have serious sources.

As for the topic. I think it would be interesting to do an analysis of how Dan Snyder has turned the Redskins into one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL despite putting a TERRIBLE product on the field for 10 years. And I'm sure subtle swipes are acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived