Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bystander Effect this morning on Metro

ChampSkinsFanatic

:mad: I just got off of the metro a couple of minutes ago and some kid snatches a lady's purse. A couple of people and myself are giving chase yelling "stop him, theif, etc..." but nobody does anything. This kid has time to run up a crowded escalator, run on a crowded platform, run up another crowded escalator down another and through another crowded platform and out of the station.

The thing that pissed me off is that people are just watching and getting out of the way of this tiny little kid. I can't believe a station full of people and nobody even tried to stop him. The people on the other side of the platform knew he was coming down and just watched him run out of the station.

Where was Metro Police? If someone was eating on the metro they would have been there in no time.

:mad: I just got off of the metro a couple of minutes ago and some kid snatches a lady's purse. A couple of people and myself are giving chase yelling "stop him, theif, etc..." but nobody does anything. This kid has time to run up a crowded escalator, run on a crowded platform, run up another crowded escalator down another and through another crowded platform and out of the station.

The thing that pissed me off is that people are just watching and getting out of the way of this tiny little kid. I can't believe a station full of people and nobody even tried to stop him. The people on the other side of the platform knew he was coming down and just watched him run out of the station.

Where was Metro Police? If someone was eating on the metro they would have been there in no time.

I know exactly what you mean, I've seen the bystander effect twice in the last few years....

The first time I was walking into a grocery store in Arlington with my g/f and some guy was sitting on the bench outside screaming at people leaving that he couldn't breathe and to call an ambulance. And I swear to god there was this fat lady that walked out, with her cart, right past him and he was asking her for help and she pretended like he wasn't even there!

I called 911 on my cell and an ambulance showed up and took him away.

The second time I was walking home from the metro in DC and there was a bus on the side of the road with "emergency call 911" flashing on the screen that usually shows the route and the bus was empty except for the driver and a lady standing behind him yelling at him and holding her hand in a bag.

I kid you not there was a woman standing outside of the bus taking pictures of the incident with her cell phone and there were tons of people walking by and no one was doing anything. So I called 911 this time too and within 2-3 minutes there were three police cars surrounding the bus.

I think people are either too scared to do anything in situations like that or they assume that someone else will take care of it. But the bystander effect is very real.

I hear you man. A few weeks ago I saw a kid try to push a random guy on to the train tracks, he was so pleased with himself until he looked up and saw that I saw what he did. I debated if I should say anything or throw him onto the tracks myself, but in the end I did nothing, which I wasn't happy with...

I always wonder what I would do in a situation like that. I'd like to think that I'd tackle the punk, but sometimes it takes a couple seconds to process what exactly is going on.You don't want to go all Sean Taylor on somebody only to find out he was just fooling around with his buddies.

I also wonder what I'd do if somebody put a gun in my face. The movie dork in me says I'd do a spinning high kick to knock it out of his hand, but the realist in me says I'd probably cry and push an old lady in front of me.

I always wonder what I would do in a situation like that. I'd like to think that I'd tackle the punk, but sometimes it takes a couple seconds to process what exactly is going on.You don't want to go all Sean Taylor on somebody only to find out he was just fooling around with his buddies.

The devil's advocate argument here is that going "Sean Taylor" on him for goofing with his friends like that may teach him a lesson about real life. And how when there's a threatening situation occuring, questions are asked last.

A few weeks ago I turned a corner behind a large truck (one of those sort of dump truck ones that haul stuff away from construction sites). There was a pickup truck parked on the side of the road and the dump truck got close enough to it to knock the mirror clean off. It was one of those large mirrors but not the super extended ones, the dump truck was just way too close.

Anyway the dump truck speeds up and just keeps going. There was no way he didn't realize what he just did and he went speeding out of there. I always keep a note pad and a pen in the door pocket next to me in case something happens where I need to write something down quickly in my car. I wrote down his license plate number, his "how's my driving" phone number and code number. I then turned around to go back to the pickup truck which was on the other side of town by now. As I got there the woman who owned it was hopping back in and driving away. I turned down a side street and circled back around to follow her. She pulled over into a parking lot to call somebody and I pulled up right alongside her, told her I saw what happened and gave her the paper with the information on it. She seemed pretty happy about it.

I hate the bystander effect. I don't try to get all up in people's business but I think "If I were that person would I be extremely grateful if somebody went out of their way to help me out?" If the answer is yes then I usually try to help. I've stopped plenty of times to offer my help to people who have flat tires or who have gotten into accidents. Sometimes they accept my help- usually women who are by themselves with their little kids are happy if a nice person stops to change their tire for them, sometimes they say no thanks. I haven't ever really had somebody say "hey *******, stop trying to be helpful to people and get lost!" so I figure its not such a bad thing.

The devil's advocate argument here is that going "Sean Taylor" on him for goofing with his friends like that may teach him a lesson about real life. And how when there's a threatening situation occuring, questions are asked last.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't feel bad about it. Never know what kind of situation that might put you in though.

Have you seen that clip of the guy on a prank show getting roundhoused by some random black belt who thought he was a real shoplifter? Classic.

Edit: Here it is.

Vhuim7rBOAs

Archived