Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Criminal Offense - The Skins OL Story

@DCGoldPants

im not sure how many picks we have, but our draft needs to go qb, ol, ol, ol, ol, ol, ol

I know it seems that way... but for the moment, .. we have serviceable Tackles... We need a young RT to groom.. and we need a back up LT.. The Young RT is not an immediate need though with both Brown and Locklear on that side.

back up LT we can probably get through FA..

so.. what we need in the draft now.. is quality Gaurds. both LG and RG.. and would be nice to have a stud C to groom.. who can be a back up for now. Gaurds generally aren't first and second round prospects. Centers go in the second or late first sometimes.. but you don't have to draft one that high.

I would say immediate needs for next years draft at proper draft locations are;

QB

CB/ILB

ILB/CB (depending on which fell to us in the 2nd)

LG/C/RG

LG/RG

LG/RG/Longshot LT

then all your longshot picks.. i think you take best on your board after that.

Be patient. One or two of these late round/UDFA types will pan out for us if they're given some time to develop. There's certainly no need to go OL crazy in the upcoming draft.

I did say "If he doesn't get his head on straight" to be fair.

You're still underselling him. He won't reach Chris Samuels status without, as you said, getting his head on straight but it's unreasonable to expect him to be there at age 23. He likely won't hit his prime for another three or four years, especially if he's going to reach the lofty standards we've all set for him.

The avg. of the Georgia Bulldogs offensive line is heavier than any in the NFL. Just saw that a few weeks ago and thought it interesting. Seems Shanny goes for the light and quick though and that maybe part of the problem in the NFCE. Just like this weeks game against a line like the niners.

Besides the name Buford always brings Georgia to my mind. Great thread work.

We're actually not that small on the offensive line, people really need to throw that misconception out the window. We don't have a single, superlative 350+ pound guard like some teams do but beyond that we stack up extremely well size-wise to many of the better offenses.

I do want to say this about Trent that no one has. His two 15 yarders...were going after someone that went after his teammate. It is widely known, but never seen, that the Eagle took out Lich on a cheap shot to the knees after the int. The one yesterday was when they were trying to go after a rookie after the whistle. Say what you want about control, but I also know, for years everyone here has been saying the guys don't fight for each other. Trent seems to. I'll take that.

I do want to say this about Trent that no one has. His two 15 yarders...were going after someone that went after his teammate. It is widely known, but never seen, that the Eagle took out Lich on a cheap shot to the knees after the int. The one yesterday was when they were trying to go after a rookie after the whistle. Say what you want about control, but I also know, for years everyone here has been saying the guys don't fight for each other. Trent seems to. I'll take that.

Another thing that people seem to be missing from yesterday, was the refs messed up the penalty. It came after the play was dead, so couldn't off-set; but it should of still been the first down we'd gained minus the yards as opposed to the long ass third down. Still a ridiculously boneheaded move by Trent (as much as I'd love his support if I was a teammate); but still a bad call non-the-less.

Hail.

Hate to say it, but Trent Wiliams is not going to live up to his draft position. We've been spoiled by having a truly good one with Chris Samuels. However, he's not a bust either and when we get a better QB, his average play will be good enough. It's a shame Chris Samuels had to play with some of the crappiest QBs in the league.

Trent Williams has been dominant this season. You mention two 15 yards penalties but both were understandable. He came to the defense of a fellow lineman that went down for the entire season on a cheap shot. He played to the whistle and the refs blew him for the penalty. Players are taught to play to the whistle.

Wow, you guys are really in love with moving Trent to the right.

I swear, you're expecting him to be Joe Thomas or Jake Long or something, instead of what he is, an above-average LT who's still a bit raw.

I'm not as down on Trent as many of the others are but Joe Thomas and Jake Long are what you expect from a LT selected that high. Not above average.

I'm not as down on Trent as many of the others are but Joe Thomas and Jake Long are what you expect from a LT selected that high. Not above average.

They're what you hope for. What you expect is someone who can start for you and hold his own at his position against tough competition. A lot of first round picks struggle to do even that.

I think Willie Harris could handle the LT position

... who?

thankfully I missed the game to ride ATV's in Western PA. But reading twitter it seems that both Locklear and Trent Williams had issues again this week.

Can anybody confirm this? I think it was Trent with another redzone penalty, and Locklear had a bit where he impersonated a swinging game.

It is mandatory we upgrade at least one guard position and RT this offseason so that our rookie QB doesn't get sacked 80 times and get ruined like Ramsey.

I'd also bring back Lichtensteiger as a swing backup at G/C. He'd be great depth to have and, given his season-ending injury and the fact that he is relatively unproven, hopefully we can lock him up long-term at a bargain rate.

thankfully I missed the game to ride ATV's in Western PA. But reading twitter it seems that both Locklear and Trent Williams had issues again this week.

Can anybody confirm this? I think it was Trent with another redzone penalty, and Locklear had a bit where he impersonated a swinging game.

Penalty on Trent was a bad call, and Locklear was average for the first half and a disaster as the second wore on. Though going against Cameron Wake, you had to know that going in.

Thought Hurt looked worse this week than last, and I continue to loath Chester. Monty is Monty.

It is mandatory we upgrade at least one guard position and RT this offseason so that our rookie QB doesn't get sacked 80 times and get ruined like Ramsey.

I'd also bring back Lichtensteiger as a swing backup at G/C. He'd be great depth to have and, given his season-ending injury and the fact that he is relatively unproven, hopefully we can lock him up long-term at a bargain rate.

I can't imagine Lictensteiger being ready to play a lot of OL snaps until late 2012. I think the reality is they need to upgrade 3/5 of the OL either in one offseason, or over a few.

Wow, you guys are really in love with moving Trent to the right.

I swear, you're expecting him to be Joe Thomas or Jake Long or something, instead of what he is, an above-average LT who's still a bit raw.

Can I ask you why you think moving Trent to the right side, if we find someone of quality to play on the left, is a bad thing for Trent? Jon Jansen was an extremely valuable asset to this team for a long time. Sure, the LT is traditionally the more "important" position, but it doesn't mean you're not skilled if you play on the right. Some guys set in their kick steps much better to the right than the left. Some set better to the left than their right. Trent could be an absolute stud on the right side for all we know. Or maybe he won't. But there's no harm in checking it out or suggesting it.

Why settle for, in your own words "an above average LT" when, if we can find a better LT we can address two positions with solid football players?

Williams is the best OL on this team right now. Let's make that clear. And finding a LT isn't easy, either. I wanted to make that clear as well.

I personally think we should be drafting several college LTs to help solve our RT and even G issues. Usually you see this manifested in the pros as LT bust who find a fit as a high end guard (think Gallery or even the emergence of Chris Williams as an elite LG this season).

As the most athletic and usually most skill on their teams line, seems like they could help out all over the place. Granted, there is a draft premuim - but often the 10th best college LT is better than one of the first RTs drafted.

And if one of them turns out to be better at LT than Trent? So be it.

I would not look to move him, but if we happened to find ourselves with a better LT, there is no reason not to.

I personally think we should be drafting several college LTs to help solve our RT and even G issues. Usually you see this manifested in the pros as LT bust who find a fit as a high end guard (think Gallery or even the emergence of Chris Williams as an elite LG this season).

As the most athletic and usually most skill on their teams line, seems like they could help out all over the place. Granted, there is a draft premuim - but often the 10th best college LT is better than one of the first RTs drafted.

And if one of them turns out to be better at LT than Trent? So be it.

I would not look to move him, but if we happened to find ourselves with a better LT, there is no reason not to.

I agree here, almost 100%.

Missed the game...thankfully. But the twitters said Trent had a holding call (or 2?) at important times again. True? I read that he's hurt now.

With these players dropping like flies, you've got to draft deep for OL every year now. Your backups need to be ready to start or great teams fall apart, and mediocre teams become awful.

It's just amazing that this new coaching regime ignored the oline. Sure the names have changed but the results are the same if not worse.

Maybe we need a better offensive line talent evaluator?

If the names have changed how has it been ignored? Limited resources guys. We've signed starting and depth players in free agency. We've done the same through the draft. If nothing improves this offseason you'll have reason to complain. Now? Not so much.

Archived