Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins need Andrew Luck (Update: Going on 106.7 the Fan)

themurf

This is Stephen Strasburg, Alexander Ovechkin, LaBron James type of a deal we find ourselves in.

I would actually say the best recent example is Sydney Crosby, where it seemed like he had been groomed to be the face of the league since birth.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

And don't fool yourself Mel Kiper and Todd McShay aren't scouts they're media.

Do you really think it's just Kiper and McShay who feel this way about him?

He was the consensus #1 pick last year and his stock has only gone up.

I clearly remember hearing NFL QBs on ESPN saying Cam's pro day was the best they've ever seen. It was the Kipers that were hung up on the other stuff cause it didn't jive with their mocks.

There was a lot of noise around Cam. I do remember that it was after the pro day, where the debate about the #1 pick ended. I'm also pretty sure that I made a "I hope he doesn't find a bottle of Purple Drank before the draft" joke.

I would actually say the best recent example is Sydney Crosby' date=' where it seemed like he had been groomed to be the face of the league since birth.

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 03:19 PM ----------

Do you really think it's just Kiper and McShay who feel this way about him?

He was the consensus #1 pick last year and his stock has only gone up.

My point is that they're often wrong.

The QB position is about a 50/50 shot.

Keep in mind the argument isn't wether he's the top prospect.

The argument is about wether we should trade the future for him.

2 completely different things.

There was a lot of noise around Cam. I do remember that it was after the pro day' date=' where the debate about the #1 pick ended. I'm also pretty sure that I made a "I hope he doesn't find a bottle of Purple Drank before the draft" joke.[/quote']

I felt he'd go #1 in January, the moment Luck decided to stay in. There's proof on this board. I was way ahead of the curve. There was no denying his talent in my eyes. It wasn't like he was playing the ACC or Big 12. He made the SEC look like pop warner kids.

And Luck was clear cut last year and has done nothing but cement that feeling this year. He's so good the Colts and Rams have been rumored to be interested to the point of getting rid of their current star #1 pick signal callers. That's all I have to see.

Coby Fleener?

I don't really think of Tight Ends as "skill guys" but yea, he's good. I'm a little wary of him because there has never been a college QB who can use the TE like Luck. He also looks like Justin Bieber.

I was thinking RBs and WRs though. Peyton Manning was throwing to Marcus Nash and Peerless Price and handing it to Jamal Lewis. I mean Stanford is good, but those UT teams were loaded to the gills (and still couldn't beat Florida).

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 03:28 PM ----------

Keep in mind the argument isn't wether he's the top prospect.

The argument is about wether we should trade the future for him.

2 completely different things.

QB is a 50/50 shot in normal years.

QB has been 100 percent when the discussion is Namath, Elway, and Manning. Those are really the only three who have been discussed in the way Luck has been. He is not Browning Neagle.

maybe we're lucky and he does horribly during the combine / senior bowl

The hype train usually pushes some of these guys out of the top 10.

Or the opposite might happen, where he lights up during both, then it will be impossible and stupid to go after him. Its just not worth going after Luck then throwing him into an offense that has no weapons, no oline and a mediocre running game.\

Edit: opps forgot he was a junior

Maybe it's Manning vs Roethlisberger or Rivers.

Yeah if Luck wasn't in it. It would be Jones vs Barkley vs RGIII. I don't think you can put Luck's clear distance over the others in the same class as anyone since Elway. That's 30 years.

However, Elway came out in the 83 draft. Perhaps this draft is like that and if that's the case and many feel it is, we can settle for Jim Kelly, Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, or Dan Marino.

Here's the kicker, only one was a champion and that one was the clear cut #1.

Yeah if Luck wasn't in it. It would be Jones vs Barkley vs RGIII. I don't think you can put Luck's clear distance over the others in the same class as anyone since Elway. That's 30 years.

However, Elway came out in the 83 draft. Perhaps this draft is like that and if that's the case and many feel it is, we can settle for Jim Kelly, Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason, or Dan Marino.

Here's the kicker, only one was a champion and that one was the clear cut #1.

Watch us end up with Blackledge.

That's part of the reason why I posted that "Trade for Mallett" thread.

I don't think we have any chance of getting Luck and while I like the other QBs in the draft, I know that one of them is probably not going to make it. And I know the Redskins will end up with that one, because that's what we do.

I don't really think of Tight Ends as "skill guys" but yea' date=' he's good. I'm a little wary of him because there has never been a college QB who can use the TE like Luck. He also looks like Justin Bieber.[/quote']Jokes aside he's one of the best TE in college football and they have more good TEs. Couple that with a dominant OL and running game it makes life good for Luck.

Don't confuse the scheme with Luck.

Harbaugh is Bo Schembeckler disciple and Shaw is Harbaugh's disciple their scheme features the TE, Luck is a by product of that scheme.

As is Alex Smith.

As was Josh Johnson:

Johnson ranked 11th in the nation in pass completions (260-of-371 attempts), setting school season-records for pass completion percentage (70.1), yards passing (3,256) and touchdown passes (36). He finished second nationally with a 171.51 passing efficiency rating and ranked fifth with an average of 302.92 yards per game in total offense. His 3,635 yards in total offense is the second-highest season total in school hist

To deny the schematic advantage that Harbaugh provides is dishonest.

My answer is that Mike Shannahan will never give up anything for that quarterback. His ego prevents him from doing that. Nevermind that he had nothing to do with bringing in Steve Young or John Elway. He feels his system is the contributing factor to the teams success, not the talent. With Shannahan, I'll never expect him to go big for a QB when he thinks John Beck will do.

Would someone please post a poll?

Who would you rather have in 2012?

• Mike Shanahan as head coach
  • Andrew Luck as QB

You can explain this as Dan Snyder's offseason dilemma, in the scenario where Mike Shanahan says he won't trade for Andrew Luck ... because he doesn't need Andrew Luck.

I'd post this myself, but the mods decided to flog me for posting something silly Sunday night. :D

Jokes aside he's one of the best TE in college football and they have more good TEs. Couple that with a dominant OL and running game it makes life good for Luck.

Don't confuse the scheme with Luck.

Harbaugh is Bo Schembeckler disciple and Shaw is Harbaugh's disciple their scheme features the TE, Luck is a by product of that scheme.

As is Alex Smith.

As was Josh Johnson:

To deny the schematic advantage that Harbaugh provides is dishonest.

A. Harbaugh is good but he is not there any longer.

B. I never really though of Bo as a QB's guru.

I think the QBs behind him are those three.

This is 1983 in a lot of ways with a clear-cut' date=' no doubt #1 and a bunch of "Would be #1 in another year."

We just need someone to get accused of being a coke head so he can fall in the draft like Marino did.[/quote']

Right. Which one is Marino?

Would someone please post a poll?

Who would you rather have in 2012?

• Mike Shanahan as head coach
  • Andrew Luck as QB

You can explain this as Dan Snyder's offseason dilemma, in the scenario where Mike Shanahan says he won't trade for Andrew Luck ... because he doesn't need Andrew Luck.

I'd post this myself, but the mods decided to flog me for posting something silly Sunday night. :D

Let it go man, step away from the keyboard and breath.

Both QB's are as useless as each other. It's done. Let it go.

Hail.

Watch us end up with Blackledge.

That's part of the reason why I posted that "Trade for Mallett" thread.

I don't think we have any chance of getting Luck and while I like the other QBs in the draft' date=' I know that one of them is probably not going to make it. And I know the Redskins will end up with that one, because that's what we do.[/quote']

Yep, it's a crap shoot, of course this only works if the QBs end up with similar careers. The point, however, is that only the clear cut won a championship. Two others were close. Two others were HOFs. That's great. Doesn't add to the Skins trophy case.

Archived