Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins need Andrew Luck (Update: Going on 106.7 the Fan)

themurf

Our best chance at getting Luck is if he pulls an Eli & flat out refuses to play for whomever wins the Suck For Luck campaign.

Though if he doesn't even declare for the Draft, I'd laugh my arse off at that. :ols:

I usually love your comments, but I'm not reading this one.

lolz. Alright, I just went back and picked through your points.

I don't agree his worth four 1st round picks. I don't think the dropoff between him and say Barkley justifies it. Plus, I don't think any team's fanbase would accept their management trading the opportunity for Luck... at least not any of the teams that are likely to hold the #1 pick. (That last point is moot if St Louis gets the pick but I consider that highly unlikely.)

Why would Mike Shanahan go all in for Andrew Luck? How will the world recognize the mastermind's genius if he can only get it done with Hall of Fame QBs?

Come on bro., you should know better than that. So he would pass up on sure talent at the most critical position in sports because of ego? :doh:

I would do it if we were only a QB away from the SB. And sure, we can address some of the holes through FA. But how much top tier talent can you target in FA and still remain financially responsible at the same time?

A QB has more impact on a team than ever before.

Saying a team is only a QB away is not the same as saying a team is only an RB away, or only a linebacker away. A great QB changes the entire team. He makes the offense more efficient, which gives the defense more breathers and allows them to be more aggressive because they aren't playing from behind all the time.

We're not only a QB away, but we need a QB in order to be a SB team. Given how much we've spent in draft picks on the position in the last 10 years and how poorly our drafts have gone in general, I don't see why we don't do what we can to grab one of the best QB prospects to ever come out and then never have to worry about the position again for 15 years. It helps the rest of the team more than anything else.

Shanahan did trade up for Cutler, so he has done it in the past. He also wanted Bradford, but didn't have the ammo for it.

Problem with this argument that you should do "anything" to get a guy is that you might not have enough left to give the guy enough support to win. I am not a believer that any one guy is a savior for a franchise, particularly not a QB. Bradford actually is a prime example. As good as he's considered, he can't do it without weapons or a line or a running game. Manning, as good as he is, doesn't do it by himself.

Yes, we could use a QB as good as Luck, but we could use a lot of things, which Luck won't solve by himself.

I don't know, judging from this year it looks as though Peyton Manning is worth approximately 8-10 wins by himself, lol. QB is everything in the modern NFL. Good teams look like **** with bad QBs and bad teams look awesome with great QBs.

No they went into the season thinking we had two viable stopgaps until 2012. This draft has a better crop of QB's than '11.

Exactly! As for the the praise that MS and KS heaped upon Beck and Grossman, were they supposed to say "Well, on good days Beck and Grossman can be adequate. We'd prefer to draft or trade for at least on quality QB, but the available QB's don't warrant the price, we have other pressing needs that must be met before we can be competitive, a better selection of QB's will be available in the 2012 draft, and we expect to suck in 2011, so we should get a high draft choice in 2012."? Sometimes, honesty is not the best policy.

Well ****. You weren't lying when you alluded to me being REAL pissed with ya' after toying with my poor emotions even further in that blog post than you did in the previous one. ******! :mad:

But being as you've sucked me back into wanting the very best for our team (isn't that what everyone wants if y'all are truthful to yourselves? Even those still doubting the limitless potential of Andrew that even a dead blind man could see after a mere 10 minutes of watching him on the field); and my sensible side is now rejoining my heart in aching for him again; I think Indy's the best bet we have. I honestly think they've a real chance of going winless this year, and even if we lost out (which is looking more and more a distinct probability rather than possibility); the Colts are the only team I can't see as we can't catch. Everyone around us is showing real signs of life (Miami should of won the last two games/ the Rams have a full-go Jackson and Lloyd on-board to help out Bradford/ Ponder's injected life into the Vikings/ we've seen to our cost what Newton's given the Panthers etc); so if we do end up losing out I really think we could be drafting 2nd, or at worst 3rd/4th. The Colts have holes to fill that make our roster look somewhat solid. And, presuming he comes back, they still have Peyton with a few years left in him yet. I could definitely see Polian doing a mega trade to get their rebuild up and running.

God dayum you Mr Murphy! I'd cleared my mind of the Luck hope, and now my hearts all a flutter again at snagging a guy Universally acknowledged to be on his way to the VERY top of this game.

Just when I thought I was out ..... they pull me back in. :(

Hail.

A QB has more impact on a team than ever before.

Saying a team is only a QB away is not the same as saying a team is only an RB away, or only a linebacker away. A great QB changes the entire team. He makes the offense more efficient, which gives the defense more breathers and allows them to be more aggressive because they aren't playing from behind all the time.

We're not only a QB away, but we need a QB in order to be a SB team. Given how much we've spent in draft picks on the position in the last 10 years and how poorly our drafts have gone in general, I don't see why we don't do what we can to grab one of the best QB prospects to ever come out and then never have to worry about the position again for 15 years. It helps the rest of the team more than anything else.

Bro. I agree.... I just don't necessarily by into the "do what ever it takes" philosophy. Do i think that something could be done, do doubt. But, I sure as Hades ain't going Mike Ditka to get anyone either. But again, thats just me.......

I haven't seen a single word written about Luck that suggests he could be a flop. So unless you're afraid that a guy who doesn't seem to have a history of injuries will suddenly break down, I'm not sure why anyone would be afraid of pursuing Luck. But you should know, I'm not frustrated after just one loss. I'm tired of 20 years of mediocre football. I'm tired of a laundry list of coaches, coordinators and quarterbacks. I'm tired of quick fixes and short cuts. Going after a once-in-a-generation talent like Luck doesn't fall into that category. It's simply the best way I can come up with for this team (with this coaching staff) to turn the ship around.

Again I understand, I feel that 4 picks, 4 first round picks, think about that for a minute and how good those four picks could be. A corner, a tackle, a wideout and a QB over four years. That is much, IMO too much to wager on one player. Two firsts count me in, three or more, or two firsts+= count me out. When you are desperate you negotiate desperate. Look at Ditka in New Orleans, look at the Vikes trading for Herschel Walker-who was a solid player to the Cowboys.

This is the type of trade that could set the team back for nearly a decade if it does not pay out fully. Luck could have a medical issue or an accident-god forbid and then what do the Redskins have? Another all-pro, all star player named Sean Taylor did not get to impact this team due to a terrible tragedy, it sadly can happen to anybody, anywhere, anytime. Rothlesberger could have been permanently injured in that bike accident, than what for the Steelers?

Compelling argument but I stand by what I have been saying. Unfortunately the Redskins are not in a position to trade that many picks away. We lack so much on both sides of the football it seems. Although it could be said we have missed on so many first rounders and QB draft picks in the last few decades you might as well get something in return rather than throwing them in the garbage can like we have in the past.

I don't think we will be in a position regardless but if we are and we were to trade multiple first round picks(3-4) away...and....

He turns into a bust - The worst FO move ever! EVER!

He turns into John Elway or something close to it - The best FO move ever! EVER!!:ols:

Bro. I agree.... I just don't necessarily by into the "do what ever it takes" philosophy. Do i think that something could be done, do doubt. But, I sure as Hades ain't going Mike Ditka to get anyone either. But again, thats just me.......

I just think it's one thing to go Ditka for a good RB prospect and a complete other thing to go Ditka for a QB widely considered to be one of the best to ever come out.

Time will tell, I suppose. I'd be happy with either RG3 or Luck, but I wouldn't be upset if we gave up a lot to get Luck.

Exactly! As for the the praise that MS and KS heaped upon Beck and Grossman, were they supposed to say "Well, on good days Beck and Grossman can be adequate. We'd prefer to draft or trade for at least on quality QB, but the available QB's don't warrant the price, we have other pressing needs that must be met before we can be competitive, a better selection of QB's will be available in the 2012 draft, and we expect to suck in 2011, so we should get a high draft choice in 2012."? Sometimes, honesty is not the best policy.

Sure.. no need to trash them if you just didn't like anyone in the draft and had to roll with someone.. but there was also no need to "stake your reputation" on them either.

You just come out looking like a horrible talent evaluator at the most important position on the field.

My point is - the Colts didn't build the basis of their offense using first round picks outside of Manning, Clark, and Wayne. It's a misconception that we NEED to retain all first rounders in order to have a productive offense, especially with a guy like Luck already in place. It's a hell of a lot easier IMO to build good pieces around a great QB than it is to build great pieces around a good QB and expect similar results.

Not sure what you are talking about. Harrison was a 1st round pick previous to Manning's arrival. Marshall Faulk was a 1st round pick. Edgerin James was a 1st round pick. As you say, Clark and Wayne were 1st round picks. Manning was surrounded with offensive talent. Yeah, down the line you might not need it as much, but you certainly do from the beginning. I mean, the reason why you can develop late round picks into starters is because you have the stability to take the time with them, which is a reason why a player like Garcon can develop. (Who, BTW, is probably having his best season even without Manning throwing to him.)

As for 1st round picks invested in the offense, you forget about Anthony Gonzalez, who was ultimately a failure.

Would he have made us better? Sure. Would he have been as good in DC with the talent we had over the years? Doubtful.

Again I understand, I feel that 4 picks, 4 first round picks, think about that for a minute and how good those four picks could be.

I'm still waiting for LaRon Landry to be as "good as he could be." Others will say the same thing about Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers or any number of other first rounders who never lived up to their true potential. I'd rather have a sure thing than a guy who might not be as good, but costs less. If you get the chance to draft Ed Reed or Calvin Johnson or the second coming of Peyton Manning/John Elway, you do it. Let some other schmuck end up with the lesser talent for once.

God dayum you Mr Murphy! I'd cleared my mind of the Luck hope, and now my hearts all a flutter again at snagging a guy Universally acknowledged to be on his way to the VERY top of this game.

Just when I thought I was out ..... they pull me back in. :(

Hail.

Lets never fight again.

I have a hard time believing any coach would rather have less talent so he had the chance to show everyone who great he was. If they could conceivably get a top-tier QB, I've got to think Shanny would do it.

Besides, Luck is considered the best QB prospect since John Elway. Shanahan won two Super Bowls with the first Elway, so why wouldn't he want to do it again with the second coming?

IMO, Shanahan's choice of QBs since Elway has been a series of proof exercises that he can produce a winner without an A+ talent at QB.

He replaced Elway with Griese, a rookie third-rounder.

He replaced Griese with Plummer, a borderline starter for the Cardinals.

He replaced Plummer with Cutler, the #3 QB taken in the 2006 draft.

He traded for McNabb, who never won a Super Bowl with the Eagles, and was dumped by the Eagles.

He started Grossman (probably a temporary move), who was not regarded as a starting NFL QB at that time.

His current project starter is Beck, who wouldn't make the roster on most NFL teams.

There's a pattern here, similar to Steve Spurrier. Both Shanahan and Spurrier share(d) the belief that their system is enough to win, plugging in almost any QB.

Shanahan has doubled down on this belief by hiring his son as OC and hiring a QB coach (Matt LaFleur) who's never thrown an NFL pass or groomed an NFL QB. These are the actions of someone who believes his system is sufficient to win.

As to "why" do it that way, I surmise because he resented the comments that Shanahan owed his Super Bowl to Elway. If he wins big with nobody, he's in the HOF. If he wins big with Andrew Luck, he's like any coach with a great QB. George Seifert won a Super Bowl ... with Steve Young.

I'm still waiting for LaRon Landry to be as "good as he could be." Others will say the same thing about Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers or any number of other first rounders who never lived up to their true potential. I'd rather have a sure thing than a guy who might not be as good, but costs less. If you get the chance to draft Ed Reed or Calvin Johnson or the second coming of Peyton Manning/John Elway, you do it. Let some other schmuck end up with the lesser talent for once.

One thing the draft has proven is that there is no such thing as a sure thing. At the time Manning was drafted, there was a big argument for if Manning or Leaf would be the better pro. We know now what the answer is, but did people KNOW that Manning was going to be as good as he is? Eli had similar sort of hype around him, and he's not nearly the QB his older brother is.

It would be nice to think that Luck is a no-brainer and that he will be a HOFer, but there are many players who got waylayed on the way.

Fixed this for you:

He replaced Plummer with Cutler, the best quarterback in the 2006 draft.

He traded for McNabb, a borderline hall of famer.

He started Grossman (definitely a temporary move), who was not regarded as a starting NFL QB at that time.

Also, in case you forgot, Shanahan reached the AFC Championship game with "borderline starter" Jake Plummer. So what does that say about him as a coach?

Lets never fight again.

What folk so against trading up for/ losing out for Luck fail to realize is most of the board fights would disappear if he was here. I honestly don't think many have sat down and watched Stanford play and seen first hand just what Andrew Luck brings to the table in almost every facet of the game. He look's like a seasoned PRO vet out there the way he reads defense' ala Peyton and makes the quick adjustments there in. And that's before you even start on his God given talent. The hypes MORE than justified people on this one.

And truthfully, if you can get a guy THAT good to secure your next 10 years and more; you really are struggling to find a price that ISN'T worth paying.

Hail.

completely agree with "at any cost" ... I would literally trade them anything. I wouldn't stop at 4 four first rounders either. I would take this team as it is today and trade 4 yrs worth of 1st and 2nd rounders. That's how bad we need a QB, I promise this team will continue to be absolutely nothing until they have a franchise QB.

Peyton M is the single best example of what "that guy" can do. The colts were awful before him and are god-awful now. They never has more than a playmaker or two on offense and defense... we easily have that now. Take our 3-7th round picks and draft o-line, d-line depth, a little activity in free agency again and we are looking at a playoff contender for 10 yrs!

I'm with Murf... I ****ing hate losing and I'm goddamned tired of it too. I've literally thought about not following the Skins for the rest of the year, it's that bad. physically I can't make myself do it, but I ****ing want to. Instead I'm flying to DC next week to see the Skins get destroyed by the niners (stupid early season optimism). We've tried it all now, old coaches, new coaches, qb coaches, dominating free agency, laying low and buying cheap free agents and stockpiling picks like last year... we haven't sold the farm for a franchise QB out of college yet. I think maybe Skins nation still has Shuler, Ramsey and Campbell nightmares... but the draft geniuses say Luck is can't miss talent. So I say **** it... trade away a decade of draft picks.

Also, in case you forgot, Shanahan reached the AFC Championship game with "borderline starter" Jake Plummer. So what does that say about him as a coach?

It says he should send half of his Broncos salary to Gary Kubiak, for 1995-2005.

See: What if Mike Shanahan never was a genius at picking and developing QBs? What if Gary Kubiak was the QB genius all along?

As soon as Kubiak left, the Broncos offense declined sharply. With Plummer at QB, and also with Cutler. If you want to debate that point, bump that thread instead of hijacking this one.

But the team has a FO that is now capable of plucking a Ryan Kerrigan in the first round, so that is indeed worth having four of. Vinny and the Dan are not making the picks anymore. Four picks Murf, four, I just am not that big of a gambler when the loss is too much to overcome.

What folk so against trading up for/ losing out for Luck fail to realize is most of the board fights would disappear if he was here. I honestly don't think many have sat down and watched Stanford play and seen first hand just what Andrew Luck brings to the table in almost every facet of the game. He look's like a seasoned PRO vet out there the way he reads defense' ala Peyton and makes the quick adjustments there in. And that's before you even start on his God given talent. The hypes MORE than justified people on this one.

And truthfully, if you can get a guy THAT good to secure your next 10 years and more; you really are struggling to find a price that ISN'T worth paying.

Hail.

And you forgot to mention that he

than Leonard Hankerson!

Fixed this for you:

It seems like that is never mentioned by those in the media who say "Shanahan hasn't done anything since Elway." They never bring up going to the AFC Championship with Plummer.

Archived